French/English dictionary on expansion card

August 22, 2004 5:37:59 AM

I've been searching the Palm software sites. Am I correct that only the
SlovoEd English/French/English dictionaries run from expansion cards AND
show the gender of French nouns (I can't imagine why one would create a
dictionary that does not show the gender of nouns in languages that use
them).

And if so, I would guess that the Gold with more entries in a more compact
module at $32.45 is a better value than the expanded at $29.95. Or does the
expanded version have more definitions per word?
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
> I've been searching the Palm software sites. Am I correct that only the
> SlovoEd English/French/English dictionaries run from expansion cards AND
> show the gender of French nouns (I can't imagine why one would create a
> dictionary that does not show the gender of nouns in languages that use
> them).
>
> And if so, I would guess that the Gold with more entries in a more compact
> module at $32.45 is a better value than the expanded at $29.95. Or does
the
> expanded version have more definitions per word?
> --
> Peace,
> BobJ

Just threaten a Frenchman. He'll be glad to surrender his copy.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 5:38:00 AM

In article <XNSVc.5329$Nn2.1922@trndny05>,
"Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote:

> I've been searching the Palm software sites. Am I correct that only the
> SlovoEd English/French/English dictionaries run from expansion cards AND
> show the gender of French nouns.

I like the UI of ultralingua's French/English dictionary for Palm OS:
http://www.ultralingua.com/

I personally use Collin's French/English v1.3 for Palm OS as the vocab
seemed to better match my needs. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that's
still available. The publisher contact on my copy is listed as
http://www.tomtom.com but I did not see any dictionaries on their
current website.
August 22, 2004 1:28:15 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:55:51 -0400, Schmidt <bt_schmidt@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>I like the UI of ultralingua's French/English dictionary for Palm OS:
Not lightning fast, but it's true that the UltraLingua English/French
dictionary shows the nouns gender (n.m. or n.f.), and works from the
card.

>I personally use Collin's French/English v1.3 for Palm OS as the vocab
>seemed to better match my needs. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that's
>still available.
I used that in the past, but it doesn't support memory cards at all
and has not been updated for ages, so I suppose that the editor has
definitely abandonned the product... :-(

Google still has the cached page showing the product listed on
TomTom's site, but it has been recently removed, it seems (the cached
page dates back to Aug 5th, 2004).
Patrick Robbe
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:41:25 PM

Peter Franks wrote:

> Just threaten a Frenchman. He'll be glad to surrender his copy.

The next time you feel like expressing hate-speech, please forward it to
/dev/null, not this NG.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:41:26 PM

"fm" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Peter Franks wrote:
> >
> > Just threaten a Frenchman. He'll be glad to surrender his copy.
> >

> The next time you feel like expressing hate-speech, please forward it to
> /dev/null, not this NG.

Oh, lighten up.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:56:26 PM

In article <ldigi0p25g1je9psnshul6cvdaea5hpqnq@4ax.com>,
Patrick Robbe <euroclie@free.fr> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:55:51 -0400, Schmidt <bt_schmidt@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >I like the UI of ultralingua's French/English dictionary for Palm OS:
> Not lightning fast, but it's true that the UltraLingua English/French
> dictionary shows the nouns gender (n.m. or n.f.), and works from the
> card.
>
> >I personally use Collin's French/English v1.3 for Palm OS as the vocab
> >seemed to better match my needs. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that's
> >still available.
> I used that in the past, but it doesn't support memory cards at all

Oops, my bad. I just checked - yes, I was running the Collin's
French/English v1.3 dictionary from my SD card: CollEF.prc 58.26k. But
after your posting I looked more closely. You are right. Both of the
dictionary's 1MB data files, fedat and efdat, were in my Palm Tungsten's
E internal memory, and not on my SD card. And of course, if Collin's
French/English v1.3 is no longer available, its SD support is a moot
point.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:17:33 AM

Thanks for your comments,
but I am a little confused: the Ultralingua FE/EF dictionary ($29.95) on the
Ultralingua site that you provided: http://www.ultralingua.com/ does not
indicate that it can use the memory card. The SlovoEd Gold on the Paragon
software ($32.45) which links to and shows the same screen shot as
Ultralingua says that it can use the memory card. Can you please confirm
that Ultralingua (not bought through SlovoEd) can work from an expansion
card (Sony MS). If so, I am off to the races. I am starting on a trip to
the Îsles de la Madeleine (off PEI, but a part of Quebec) on Friday and
would like to have a good French dictionary with me.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Schmidt" <bt_schmidt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <XNSVc.5329$Nn2.1922@trndny05>,
> "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote:
>
> > I've been searching the Palm software sites. Am I correct that only the
> > SlovoEd English/French/English dictionaries run from expansion cards AND
> > show the gender of French nouns.
>
> I like the UI of ultralingua's French/English dictionary for Palm OS:
> http://www.ultralingua.com/
>
> I personally use Collin's French/English v1.3 for Palm OS as the vocab
> seemed to better match my needs. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that's
> still available. The publisher contact on my copy is listed as
> http://www.tomtom.com but I did not see any dictionaries on their
> current website.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:17:34 AM

In article <hQ9Wc.5704$Nn2.2568@trndny05>,
"Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote:

> Thanks for your comments,
> but I am a little confused: the Ultralingua FE/EF dictionary ($29.95) on the
> Ultralingua site that you provided: http://www.ultralingua.com/ does not
> indicate that it can use the memory card.

I'd be happy to confirm if I had Ultralingua still on my Palm, but I'm
using the now-hard-to-find Collin's English-French v1.3.

Might you consider downloading Ultralingua and trying it of your SD
card? Their site says the Palm version will run for 10-days in trial
mode.
August 23, 2004 8:04:35 AM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:17:33 GMT, Marilyn and Bob wrote:

> I am starting on a trip to
> the Îsles de la Madeleine (off PEI, but a part of Quebec) on Friday and
> would like to have a good French dictionary with me.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing a reasonable person
would try to do, but if you live in or near a city that has Canadian
or French embassies, you might see if someone there may be able to
answer your question, or look into it for you.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:49:23 PM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:17:33 GMT, "Marilyn and Bob" wrote:

>but I am a little confused: the Ultralingua FE/EF dictionary ($29.95) on the
>Ultralingua site that you provided: http://www.ultralingua.com/ does not
>indicate that it can use the memory card.

I do confirm that the UltraLingua dictionary works like a charm with
the memory card. I have all the databases (dictionary + conjugator) on
the memory card (in the /Palm/Launcher directory) and the program
itself stays in RAM (but I could put it on the card as well).

The only drawback when using the memory card to store the databases is
that it's a bit slower when you launch it or switch dictionaries, but
that's no real problem, and otherwise the dictionary works great.

Patrick Robbe
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:49:24 PM

Thank you kindly,