Lost Data

osmedicus

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Hey all, recently a FORMER friend of mine (heavy on the former) formatted one of my hd partitions while using my machine. This particular partition happened to contain my mp3's, (all 6 Gigs of them!), downloaded software, other misc. important files, and a 147 page thesis paper (I have it somewhere on disk, but don't know where) I run windows 2000 with two physical drives. These files were all on a second partition on HD2. Originally it was FAT32 before the reformat, he formatted it with NTFS. It was now low leveled, just a full format using the windows formatter. Any help in recovering this data would be highly appreciated, I've tried a few data recovery progs and haven't had much luck. I'm thinking the switch from FAT32 to NTFS might pose a problem. Thanks for all your input.

*Thinking*

markprz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
Some people you just feel like strangling with their own intestines, don't you? What kind of wacko would just format your hard disk like that? Christ...

Anyway, short of using a scanning tunnelling microscope or something, I doubt you'd be able to recover anything since it was formated. And even if no data on the disk was overwritten, the directory table was, along with references to any files which did exist. Hopefully, someone will be able to correct me and find a magical solution of some sort. Wow, this must suck.

:contemplates how many times that certain [-peep-] he knew could have typed format d: on his machine when he wasn't looking:

kvondohlen

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
You could try a data recovery company, they might be able to recover the info. There are several here in Houston we have used or sent customers to. They are not cheap, though.