windows xp (home edition) problem

One day last week I booted up to find no programs will run. The program
MIGHT show its opening screenm then lock up. Most times theyh don't get
that far. Even trying to run msconfig is impossible, I get an hourglass
for a few seconds then nothing, If I start windows xp in SAFE mode, I
can run msconfig, but no programs will run.
The only thing I can recall happening out of the ordinary was seeing
that there were new windows updates flashing on the bottom of the
screen. I have it set to not download but to alert me to new
download...thsi apparently downloaded and wants to install. I even tried
installing (as one of the updates was for malicious software)...but even
that wouldn't run to install.

I tried to run Norton but like all the other programs it won't launch. I
can connect to the internet through verizon but as soon as I try to
launch a browser it locks up, On another computer I downloaded a simple
anti-virus program called AnitVir which DID extract and upon
installation checkd my computer for viruses.......it found 40 trojans
and 1 backdoor virus and cleaned then up. Yet nothing has changed as far
as running programs.....I even tried running ANtivir again under save
mode and it ran but under regular mode it won't.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do?

rich haynes
3 answers Last reply
More about windows home edition problem

    Try AdAware,Spybot,CW Shredder, Hijack this and some other AV's. If no luck may I suggest a system Restore.
    Wait for some more inputs to your Issue at present maybe some others can shed more light on it.

    --
    Peter

    rich wrote:

    > One day last week I booted up to find no programs will run. The program
    > MIGHT show its opening screenm then lock up. Most times theyh don't get
    > that far. Even trying to run msconfig is impossible, I get an hourglass
    > for a few seconds then nothing, If I start windows xp in SAFE mode, I
    > can run msconfig, but no programs will run.
    > The only thing I can recall happening out of the ordinary was seeing
    > that there were new windows updates flashing on the bottom of the
    > screen. I have it set to not download but to alert me to new
    > download...thsi apparently downloaded and wants to install. I even tried
    > installing (as one of the updates was for malicious software)...but even
    > that wouldn't run to install.
    >
    > I tried to run Norton but like all the other programs it won't launch. I
    > can connect to the internet through verizon but as soon as I try to
    > launch a browser it locks up, On another computer I downloaded a simple
    > anti-virus program called AnitVir which DID extract and upon
    > installation checkd my computer for viruses.......it found 40 trojans
    > and 1 backdoor virus and cleaned then up. Yet nothing has changed as far
    > as running programs.....I even tried running ANtivir again under save
    > mode and it ran but under regular mode it won't.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas what I can do?
    >
    > rich haynes

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

    For viruses, start with Trend Micro’s Sysclean and McAfee’s Stinger.
    Download them and the Sysclean signature file. Delete the temporary
    internet files, turn off system restore, boot into safe mode and run
    them. Boot back into normal mode and run a full AV scan with your
    normal AV program. Then turn system restore back on.

    Trend Micro Sysclean

    Trend Micro Signature File

    McAfee AVert Stinger Virus Removal Tool
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    You should also regularly run at least two of these online scans in
    addition to your regular up to date AV program:

    Online and Downloadable Virus Scanning:

    Panda ActiveScan

    Bit Defender Online Virus Scan:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Symantec Online Virus and Security Scan:
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    TrendMicro:

    McAfee Online Virus Scan:
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    RAV AntiVirus - Scan Online
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    Run these programs to check for spyware/malware. After installing
    update them, then boot into safe mode and run them. You should update
    and run them weekly.

    Cwshredder

    Ad-aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html

    Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
    http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715

    If you’re still having problems after running these then run HijackThis
    and post the log to one of the specialty forums, _NOT_ this one.

    HijackThis

    Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

    After your system is clean use these programs to help keep it clean:

    Spywareblaster
    www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

    Spywareguard
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

    IE-SPYAD
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > Try AdAware,Spybot,CW Shredder, Hijack this and some other AV's. If no luck may I suggest a system Restore.
    > Wait for some more inputs to your Issue at present maybe some others can shed more light on it.

    Almost forgot, system restore doesn't work either....I tried under safe
    mode and no point works

    rich

Windows XP