Laptops for an audiophile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Here's the deal, I'm going to going back to school next semester and want to use a laptop to take notes on. But when I'm at home I want to be able to hook up my laptop to my entertainment system and use it like a desktop (the desktop I have now suits my stationary computer needs fine). I have a 32" 1080p HDTV and run a digital audio cable for sound. My biggest problem has been trying to find something that I can hook up properly to my receiver. I've been looking mostly at Asus and HP, could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
What is you're question, exactly? Any laptop is going to have pretty much the same audio capabilities as any other, so if that is you criteria, it doesn't matter which brand. As far as connectivity goes, is the analog line out is inadequate then you will be looking for a docking station / expansion base that has S/PDIF or some thing to that effect. If the on-board audio is less than stellar there are options for CardBus or ExpressCard audio cards from Creative, Belkin, M-Audio, ect.

The AMD 780 chipset supports HDMI audio out, but it has yet to appear at retail

Status
Not open for further replies.