Bridge Help-An Evil Necessity to Accomplish Great Ends!

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 26, 2004 12:20:22 PM

I am considering purchasing the Microsoft Network MN-820
Notebook Kit. I already have a Mirosoft MN-500 Wireless
Base Station. I have three computers upstairs in one
office. I have an XBOX downstairs in the family room, a
desktop in a bedroom, a desktop in the office, and two
laptops. (Big family, we're all in school. This is a
sometimes evil necessity) I have everything networked
together using a wireless network (except for the
computers upstairs which are linked to the wiress
router) Is it possible to have two wired networked
linked together through a wireless bridge? I realize
that the base station has a bridging mode. However, I
need a bridge that can connect another wired network to
another wired network using a wireless connection. Can I
do this in bridging mode without having the two wireless
routers physically linked? And if so, how do I do it?
My main goal is to have one computer in the family room
and the XBOX physically linked to the router, then having
the router downstairs wireless linked with the router
upstairs, which is connected to our broadband modem. I
want to be able to play XBOX live and also network XBOX's
together by just plugging them into the router downstairs
and the router upstairs. Am I crazy, or is this not
possible? I would appreciate any help! Danke Sie!

More about : bridge evil necessity accomplish great ends

June 26, 2004 1:30:50 PM

You will need a wireless to ethernet bridge such as the MN-740 connected
to a switch or wireless bridge. The MN-500 & MN-700 can only connect to
other routers via a wired connection. However you can us a MN-740 to
establish the connection between the first wireless router & the second
wireless router.

Brandon wrote:
> I am considering purchasing the Microsoft Network MN-820
> Notebook Kit. I already have a Mirosoft MN-500 Wireless
> Base Station. I have three computers upstairs in one
> office. I have an XBOX downstairs in the family room, a
> desktop in a bedroom, a desktop in the office, and two
> laptops. (Big family, we're all in school. This is a
> sometimes evil necessity) I have everything networked
> together using a wireless network (except for the
> computers upstairs which are linked to the wiress
> router) Is it possible to have two wired networked
> linked together through a wireless bridge? I realize
> that the base station has a bridging mode. However, I
> need a bridge that can connect another wired network to
> another wired network using a wireless connection. Can I
> do this in bridging mode without having the two wireless
> routers physically linked? And if so, how do I do it?
> My main goal is to have one computer in the family room
> and the XBOX physically linked to the router, then having
> the router downstairs wireless linked with the router
> upstairs, which is connected to our broadband modem. I
> want to be able to play XBOX live and also network XBOX's
> together by just plugging them into the router downstairs
> and the router upstairs. Am I crazy, or is this not
> possible? I would appreciate any help! Danke Sie!
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 7:51:04 PM

Two other alternatives: (a) use a repeater (e.g.
buffalo), or (b) use ethernet over power lines to connect
the two stations.

I would check first if the wireless signal can crosss
between floors. If not, ethernet over power lines (needs
2 adapters) or wiring between floors is needed.

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 2:27:33 PM

I found a solution. A night's sleep helped me come to
this conclusion. I followed through and it worked. This
is how it went...
I have a desktop on the other side of a wall next to my
XBOX. This computer has a lan card and a USB wireless
network adapter. I set up a software bridge (part of
Windows XP) between the NIC and the wireless adapter. I
then went and changed the MN-700 into access point mode.
I plugged the cable from the bridged desktop into the lan
card and into the Modem slot on the MN-700. Considered
that our internet connection doesn't exceed the limits of
the 802.11b wireless card, I figured that it would be
alright to have all the internet traffic from our basement
going through one computer. Anyways, I have a wireless
network upstairs, a wireless network downstairs, and they
are both interconnected. I can connect to XBOX live and I
now have reception downstairs where I did not before.
Seeing that the bridged desktop has terrific reception
where it is (since there is less rebar and conduit), all
is well. Well, thanks for the advice!
!