Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

I have the oddest problem,

I ran the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my old WinXP Home and
created a file in a new folder on a network drive in my new computer.

I then ran the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on the new computer and
pointed to the same folder but I keep getting a msg saying "The location
specified does not contain stored information".

When I looked in that specified folder, the wizard created 2 files. '.dat'
file that is over 2 GB, and another file called 'status' without any
extension.

I don't understand what the problem is, does anyone know how I can recover
my files from the .dat file/ I already reformatted my old computer.

Thank you so much for any assistance anyone can offer,

Lohan Roberto
1 answer Last reply
More about files settings transfer wizard

    1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
    Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
    2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
    3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
    "USMT2.UNC" file.
    4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.

    Note:

    The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
    There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
    the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
    when using the wizard.

    ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT

    You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
    to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.

    For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Lohan Roberto" wrote:

    | I have the oddest problem,
    |
    | I ran the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my old WinXP Home and
    | created a file in a new folder on a network drive in my new computer.
    |
    | I then ran the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on the new computer and
    | pointed to the same folder but I keep getting a msg saying "The location
    | specified does not contain stored information".
    |
    | When I looked in that specified folder, the wizard created 2 files. '.dat'
    | file that is over 2 GB, and another file called 'status' without any
    | extension.
    |
    | I don't understand what the problem is, does anyone know how I can recover
    | my files from the .dat file/ I already reformatted my old computer.
    |

    | Thank you so much for any assistance anyone can offer,
    |
    | Lohan Roberto

Computers Windows XP