Application Changed File Icons

I just installed a new Canon MP760. It included scanning software called
ScanSoft OmniPage. After the install, all of my jpg, tiff, gif, and pdf
files now have an OmniPage file icons, both on desktop and in File Explorer
(It's a big blue "OP".) The files are still opened with Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer, like they were before the install.

I've had this happen before with other applications, but I've always been
able to change back to the default Windows icons. This time, I have no
idea how to get back to them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce
6 answers Last reply
More about application changed file icons

    "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > I just installed a new Canon MP760. It included scanning software called
    > ScanSoft OmniPage. After the install, all of my jpg, tiff, gif, and pdf
    > files now have an OmniPage file icons, both on desktop and in File
    Explorer
    > (It's a big blue "OP".) The files are still opened with Windows Picture
    > and Fax Viewer, like they were before the install.
    I hate applications whose programmers did this to me. As for your question,
    yes you can revert to the previous application by going to the Folder
    Options tab on the Control Panel. Help & Support have instructions on how
    to do this task.
    Jim

    Hi,

    Go inside one of the diretory, e.g. My Documents and go to folder options
    under tools.
    Then click on the file types tab, select the file extention you want to
    change, then click advanced to change the icon and click change to modify
    the application that you want to use to open the extension.

    "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Go inside one of the diretory, e.g. My Documents and go to folder
    > options under tools.
    > Then click on the file types tab, select the file extention you want
    > to change, then click advanced to change the icon and click change to
    > modify the application that you want to use to open the extension.
    >

    > "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>I just installed a new Canon MP760. It included scanning software
    >>called
    >> ScanSoft OmniPage. After the install, all of my jpg, tiff, gif, and
    >> pdf files now have an OmniPage file icons, both on desktop and in
    >> File Explorer
    >> (It's a big blue "OP".) The files are still opened with Windows
    >> Picture and Fax Viewer, like they were before the install.
    >>
    >> I've had this happen before with other applications, but I've always
    >> been able to change back to the default Windows icons. This time, I
    >> have no idea how to get back to them.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bruce

    Thanks, Kelvin, but the application that opens these file types has not
    changed (it's still Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, not OmniPage), so I
    don't need to change the "Opens with".

    Also, when I do go to Advnaced, Change Icon, the only choices I'm
    presented with are the OmniPage icons. If I knew where to browse to to
    find the Windows default icons, I guess this would do what I want to do.

    Sincerely,
    Bruce

    > "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Go inside one of the diretory, e.g. My Documents and go to folder
    >> options under tools.
    >> Then click on the file types tab, select the file extention you want
    >> to change, then click advanced to change the icon and click change to
    >> modify the application that you want to use to open the extension.
    >>

    >> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>>I just installed a new Canon MP760. It included scanning software
    >>>called
    >>> ScanSoft OmniPage. After the install, all of my jpg, tiff, gif, and
    >>> pdf files now have an OmniPage file icons, both on desktop and in
    >>> File Explorer
    >>> (It's a big blue "OP".) The files are still opened with Windows
    >>> Picture and Fax Viewer, like they were before the install.
    >>>
    >>> I've had this happen before with other applications, but I've always
    >>> been able to change back to the default Windows icons. This time, I
    >>> have no idea how to get back to them.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bruce
    >>

    > Thanks, Kelvin, but the application that opens these file types has not
    > changed (it's still Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, not OmniPage), so I
    > don't need to change the "Opens with".
    >
    > Also, when I do go to Advnaced, Change Icon, the only choices I'm
    > presented with are the OmniPage icons. If I knew where to browse to to
    > find the Windows default icons, I guess this would do what I want to
    do.

    > Sincerely,
    > Bruce

    Answer is here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310192

    Bruce

    Maybe you can try here
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/jpgicon.htm

    Kelvin Lin
    http://www.webgururox.info

    "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Go inside one of the diretory, e.g. My Documents and go to folder
    >> options under tools.
    >> Then click on the file types tab, select the file extention you want
    >> to change, then click advanced to change the icon and click change to
    >> modify the application that you want to use to open the extension.
    >>

    >> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>>I just installed a new Canon MP760. It included scanning software
    >>>called
    >>> ScanSoft OmniPage. After the install, all of my jpg, tiff, gif, and
    >>> pdf files now have an OmniPage file icons, both on desktop and in
    >>> File Explorer
    >>> (It's a big blue "OP".) The files are still opened with Windows
    >>> Picture and Fax Viewer, like they were before the install.
    >>>
    >>> I've had this happen before with other applications, but I've always
    >>> been able to change back to the default Windows icons. This time, I
    >>> have no idea how to get back to them.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bruce
    >>

    > Thanks, Kelvin, but the application that opens these file types has not
    > changed (it's still Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, not OmniPage), so I
    > don't need to change the "Opens with".
    >
    > Also, when I do go to Advnaced, Change Icon, the only choices I'm
    > presented with are the OmniPage icons. If I knew where to browse to to
    > find the Windows default icons, I guess this would do what I want to do.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Bruce

    Bruce,

    That article does not contain the answer. It explains how to Change the
    Default Icons for Folders, which is not the problem you're experiencing.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    > Bruce <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in
    >
    >> "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Go inside one of the diretory, e.g. My Documents and go to folder
    >>> options under tools.
    >>> Then click on the file types tab, select the file extention you want
    >>> to change, then click advanced to change the icon and click change to
    >>> modify the application that you want to use to open the extension.
    >>>

    >>> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message

    >> Thanks, Kelvin, but the application that opens these file types has not
    >> changed (it's still Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, not OmniPage), so I
    >> don't need to change the "Opens with".
    >>
    >> Also, when I do go to Advnaced, Change Icon, the only choices I'm
    >> presented with are the OmniPage icons. If I knew where to browse to to
    >> find the Windows default icons, I guess this would do what I want to
    > do.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Bruce
    >>

    > Answer is here: