how to reinstall Internet explorer in Win XP SP2

June 19, 2005 2:32:01 PM

how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:56:54 PM

The better question is: Why do you think you eed to reinstall IE? Tell us
the problem, and perhaps it can be fixed without such drastic steps.

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed
June 19, 2005 4:56:55 PM

i did change value from 1 to 0, and it still came up with the msg, a new
version installed, blahblahblah, i posted yesterday but no1 replied

when opening IE it crashes and says modname unknown, i download Netscape and
that seems to work fine, i deleted temp files, cookies, history, scanned for
viruses, spyway didn't find anything, and IE still crashes, i also did a
chkdsk

"Jone Doe" wrote:

> The better question is: Why do you think you eed to reinstall IE? Tell us
> the problem, and perhaps it can be fixed without such drastic steps.
>
> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed

June 19, 2005 6:44:09 PM

1. To reinstall IE in WinXP SP2, you must reinstall SP2.

2. This won't help of your problem is caused by hijackware (which it sounds
like it is) as Windows is what's infected, not IE.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Jason wrote:
> i did change value from 1 to 0, and it still came up with the msg, a new
> version installed, blahblahblah, i posted yesterday but no1 replied
>
> when opening IE it crashes and says modname unknown, i download Netscape
> and that seems to work fine, i deleted temp files, cookies, history,
> scanned for viruses, spyway didn't find anything, and IE still crashes, i
> also did a chkdsk
>
> "Jone Doe" wrote:
>
> > The better question is: Why do you think you eed to reinstall IE?
> > Tell us the problem, and perhaps it can be fixed without such drastic
> > steps.
> >
> > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2
> > > installed
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:36:50 AM

Hi,

Follow the steps here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378&Product=winxp

--
Kelvin Lin
http://www.webgururox.info

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed
June 20, 2005 5:36:51 AM

that only works if sp1 is installed, i tried that and it still says a new
version of internet explorer is installed, and it don't let me install

"Kelvin Lin" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Follow the steps here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378&Product=winxp
>

> --
> Kelvin Lin
> http://www.webgururox.info
>
> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:46:59 AM

Did you edit the registry to disable the alert?

Kelvin Lin
http://www.webgururox.info

> that only works if sp1 is installed, i tried that and it still says a new
> version of internet explorer is installed, and it don't let me install
>
> "Kelvin Lin" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Follow the steps here
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378&Product=winxp
>>

>> --
>> Kelvin Lin
>> http://www.webgururox.info
>>
>> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2
>> > installed

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 2:16:55 PM

You can reinstall via the IE.INF file. For a full IE reinstallation, you
need to re-apply SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/

Detailed installation walkthrough for Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875364/

Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

When you're prompted for the updated system files:

Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
Windows XP, mention the path as follows:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:

X:\i386

Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP