how to reinstall Internet explorer in Win XP SP2

how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed
7 answers Last reply
More about reinstall internet explorer

    The better question is: Why do you think you eed to reinstall IE? Tell us
    the problem, and perhaps it can be fixed without such drastic steps.

    "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed

    i did change value from 1 to 0, and it still came up with the msg, a new
    version installed, blahblahblah, i posted yesterday but no1 replied

    when opening IE it crashes and says modname unknown, i download Netscape and
    that seems to work fine, i deleted temp files, cookies, history, scanned for
    viruses, spyway didn't find anything, and IE still crashes, i also did a
    chkdsk

    "Jone Doe" wrote:

    > The better question is: Why do you think you eed to reinstall IE? Tell us
    > the problem, and perhaps it can be fixed without such drastic steps.
    >
    > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed

    1. To reinstall IE in WinXP SP2, you must reinstall SP2.

    2. This won't help of your problem is caused by hijackware (which it sounds
    like it is) as Windows is what's infected, not IE.

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Jason wrote:
    > i did change value from 1 to 0, and it still came up with the msg, a new
    > version installed, blahblahblah, i posted yesterday but no1 replied
    >
    > when opening IE it crashes and says modname unknown, i download Netscape
    > and that seems to work fine, i deleted temp files, cookies, history,
    > scanned for viruses, spyway didn't find anything, and IE still crashes, i
    > also did a chkdsk
    >
    > "Jone Doe" wrote:
    >
    > > The better question is: Why do you think you eed to reinstall IE?
    > > Tell us the problem, and perhaps it can be fixed without such drastic
    > > steps.
    > >
    > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2
    > > > installed

    Hi,

    Follow the steps here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378&Product=winxp

    --
    Kelvin Lin
    http://www.webgururox.info

    "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed

    that only works if sp1 is installed, i tried that and it still says a new
    version of internet explorer is installed, and it don't let me install

    "Kelvin Lin" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Follow the steps here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378&Product=winxp
    >

    > --
    > Kelvin Lin
    > http://www.webgururox.info
    >
    > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed

    Did you edit the registry to disable the alert?

    Kelvin Lin
    http://www.webgururox.info

    > that only works if sp1 is installed, i tried that and it still says a new
    > version of internet explorer is installed, and it don't let me install
    >
    > "Kelvin Lin" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Follow the steps here
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378&Product=winxp
    >>

    >> --
    >> Kelvin Lin
    >> http://www.webgururox.info
    >>
    >> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2
    >> > installed

    You can reinstall via the IE.INF file. For a full IE reinstallation, you
    need to re-apply SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/

    Detailed installation walkthrough for Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875364/

    Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
    http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

    When you're prompted for the updated system files:

    Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
    Windows XP, mention the path as follows:

    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

    Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
    latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:

    X:\i386

    Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how can u reinstall internet explorer in windows xp pro with sp2 installed

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP