Cannot Delete Unrecognised temp files CS ?????.tmp

A large number of files have started appearing in my Windows\Temp folder.
They have the name
CS????.tmp where ???? is a decimal or hexadecimal number. Most of them are
zero byte.
Does anyone know what creates them? I can only delete them by using Safe
Mode. I thought they might be from Thumbs Plus (CeriousSoftware) but it is
not running.

The system is well protected against viruses and malware.

--
Uncle John

Malke

Uncle John wrote:
> A large number of files have started appearing in my Windows\Temp folder.
> They have the name
> CS????.tmp where ???? is a decimal or hexadecimal number. Most of them are
> zero byte.
> Does anyone know what creates them? I can only delete them by using Safe
> Mode. I thought they might be from Thumbs Plus (CeriousSoftware) but it is
> not running.
>
> The system is well protected against viruses and malware.

There was a recent thread about this and it turned out to be Webroot's
Spy Sweeper program that was doing it. Do you have that program?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi,

Can you check all the process under process tab in windows task manager?
End all the process that are related to CeriousSoftware.

If you really want to delete, go to safe mode with the least option and
without networking to delete those temp files.

Kelvin Lin
http://www.webgururox.info

"Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
>A large number of files have started appearing in my Windows\Temp folder.
>They have the name
> CS????.tmp where ???? is a decimal or hexadecimal number. Most of them are
> zero byte.
> Does anyone know what creates them? I can only delete them by using Safe
> Mode. I thought they might be from Thumbs Plus (CeriousSoftware) but it is
> not running.
>
> The system is well protected against viruses and malware.
>
> --
> Uncle John

Kevin,

Thumbs is not running. The only process that resembles the temporary file
names is

csrss.exe using about 11k of memory.

which seems to be the "Client Server Runtime Process" and cannot be stopped.

--
Uncle John
"Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can you check all the process under process tab in windows task manager?
> End all the process that are related to CeriousSoftware.
>
> If you really want to delete, go to safe mode with the least option and
> without networking to delete those temp files.

> Kelvin Lin
> http://www.webgururox.info
>

> "Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
>>A large number of files have started appearing in my Windows\Temp folder.
>>They have the name
>> CS????.tmp where ???? is a decimal or hexadecimal number. Most of them
>> are zero byte.
>> Does anyone know what creates them? I can only delete them by using Safe
>> Mode. I thought they might be from Thumbs Plus (CeriousSoftware) but it
>> is not running.
>>
>> The system is well protected against viruses and malware.
>>
>> --
>> Uncle John

Hi Malke,

Bless you! I do have Spyweeper recently upgraded so I shall now check
whether it is the problem

I will post the result.

--
Uncle John
"Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Uncle John wrote:
>> A large number of files have started appearing in my Windows\Temp folder.
>> They have the name
>> CS????.tmp where ???? is a decimal or hexadecimal number. Most of them
>> are zero byte.
>> Does anyone know what creates them? I can only delete them by using Safe
>> Mode. I thought they might be from Thumbs Plus (CeriousSoftware) but it
>> is not running.
>>
>> The system is well protected against viruses and malware.
>>

> There was a recent thread about this and it turned out to be Webroot's Spy
> Sweeper program that was doing it. Do you have that program?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke,

I have checked and SpySweeper is not the culprit.

--
Uncle John
"Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Uncle John wrote:
>> A large number of files have started appearing in my Windows\Temp folder.
>> They have the name
>> CS????.tmp where ???? is a decimal or hexadecimal number. Most of them
>> are zero byte.
>> Does anyone know what creates them? I can only delete them by using Safe
>> Mode. I thought they might be from Thumbs Plus (CeriousSoftware) but it
>> is not running.
>>
>> The system is well protected against viruses and malware.
>>

> There was a recent thread about this and it turned out to be Webroot's Spy
> Sweeper program that was doing it. Do you have that program?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke,
You were right first time, with a slight gloss!

After a series diagnostic boots and found that these tmp files ARE created
by SpySweeper if Adaware is also running. Spysweeper has to be disabled not
just turned of before the files can be removed after a reboot.

--
Uncle John