does wireless mice eat holes in my wallet in time?

Alendri

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I'm wondering if a wireless mouse and keyboard consume large or small amounts of electricity during inactivity?
I want to connect a wireless set of keyboard and mouse to a computer running around the clock, I have noticed that other optical mice I have seems to go "passive" if not in use (the sensor stop glowing as much etc, they are all with wire). This way, I guess, makes it possible to use the mouse in regular usage, but how does it work with a computer constantly on?
Will the batteries run out much faster than stated?
The actual usage of the mouse will be about 4 hours a day, with variation of course. And the same for the keyboard, obviously. Those 4 hours are mainly gaming.
There are also the logitech model that you put in the "recharger", it seems like a good idea, would it be a good option in this case?
Maybe there is a keyboard that you can "turn off"?
Suggestions on keyboards/mice suitable for this task are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

//Alendri

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
this is kinda clunky...but you could get some rechargable battaries. If you get creative you could even make a charge connector so you dont have to remove the bataries to charge. If you use a linear charger (non peak detection) you could even connect the kb to the charger while you are using it.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy

jgutz20

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2003
Try looking for logitech combos with the MX700 or MX900, both of those come with a charger/receiver unit to place the mouse in during inactivity so your never messing with batteries in the mouse. i've never replaced my batteries on the keyboard (logitech cordless elite) in over a year.