michelle

Can you still transfer files from one computer to the next
even though you are not hooked up to the internet?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear michelle,

Yes. You can transfer files between two PCs without
internet connect.

You can run them in an "ad-hoc network", meaning they are
set to communicate via peer-to-peer (directly, one to the
other). You can also have them part of a LAN, or home
network where they have a mutual "share" - disk drives or
folder, or mapped newtork drives they share to others on
the network.

Details of how to do this depend on your own OS, adapters
and network router.

The simplest setup betweeb two PCs is to get a special
ethernet cable called a "cross-over". This flips the
transmit and receive wiring so one PC can directly
communicate with another through it.

michelle

Ken ----
Thanks. I have bought a MN-620 Wireless Notebook kit. But
I don't have the internet hooked up yet. So I was
wondering if I could set this up now and transfer files
till I get the internet.