Corewars warriors collection

Archived from groups: rec.games.corewar (More info?)

Hi there!
I'm a student of computer science at the LMU in Munich,Germany.
I'm preparing a course for the coming semester. Therefor I have to
write a Corewars server, so to speak a corewars interpreter, etc. As I
am quite new to Corewars I do have a few questions.
- As I understood there are 2 languages in which one can write a
warrior. Redcode and corewars. Corewars is the pure assembler without
labels in the code and Redcode has all the labels and stuff. Am I right
with this or did I get something wrong?
- I'm looking for a as big as possible collection of warriors. If
possible in corewars and not in redcode (so the pure assembler without
labels in the code). This is, that I don't have to implement a compiler
which then generates the corewars code for the interpreter.

Thank you for your time and I hope one of you can help me

Regards, Korbinian Schoder

Marnem wrote:
> Hi there!
> I'm a student of computer science at the LMU in Munich,Germany.

Welcome,

> I'm preparing a course for the coming semester. Therefor I have to
> write a Corewars server, so to speak a corewars interpreter, etc. As I

That sounds really interesting. I am pretty sure you can find here also
help about that.

> am quite new to Corewars I do have a few questions.
> - As I understood there are 2 languages in which one can write a
> warrior. Redcode and corewars. Corewars is the pure assembler without
> labels in the code and Redcode has all the labels and stuff. Am I right
> with this or did I get something wrong?

Well, the 'official' most common language is redcode, while the
corewars language was (I think so) created by Walter Hofmann and found
just on his corewars hill on sourceforge. For redcode exists also much
more different interpreters and of course you would find a good support
here ;-)

I think most of the cw community would highly appreciate it if you
would choose redcode for your project ;-)

> - I'm looking for a as big as possible collection of warriors. If
> possible in corewars and not in redcode (so the pure assembler without
> labels in the code). This is, that I don't have to implement a compiler
> which then generates the corewars code for the interpreter.

If you need a large collection of warrior I would strongly suggest to
go for warriors written in redcode language. Here are some
sources/collections containing zillions of published warriors:

http://www.ociw.edu/~birk/COREWAR/koenigstuhl.html
http://para.inria.fr/~doligez/corewar/
http://www.corewar.co.uk/warriors.htm

> Thank you for your time and I hope one of you can help me
>
> Regards, Korbinian Schoder

- Christian