Forgotten password wizard

hello,

i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i don't
have on my laptop.
is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

    Dr. Indera wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i don't
    > have on my laptop.
    > is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
    > i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
    > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thank you.

    No

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You can use a couple of different approaches.
    1) Use a virtual floppy drive. This is a small driver that will emulate a
    floppy drive. If it is set as persistent you can use it from the Windows log
    on screen. However it won't be available before windows loads.
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/bootdiscs/vfloppy.zip

    Extract to C:\ then open the folder called vfloppy and run "vfdwin.exe" to
    create your drive. You don't have to do much other than run the file and
    click the Install and then Start buttons. This will create a virtual floppy
    identified by drive letter B. It will be a 5 1/4 drive but that doesn't
    matter. Now you have to load the drive with an image of a floppy to save to.
    This is done from the command line. Go to Start->Run and browse to
    C:\vfloppy and use this syntax:
    C:\vfloppy\vfd.exe open b: blank.ima

    If all goes well you will have a drive with letter B loaded with a blank
    floppy that you can then run the password wizard on. Just change the
    location from 3 1/2 to 5 1/4. Save the password file. when you boo the
    computer you should be able to access this floppy providing you keep it
    persistent.

    To unload the floppy use the following from the command line
    C:\vfloppy\vfd.exe close b: blank.ima

    Use vfdwin.exe to manage the device.

    2) Use a USB Thumb drive. The benefit is that it is a physical drive and you
    will be able to open this drive before Windows loads. You will need to set
    it up to be recognized as a floppy drive. Read both pages here
    http://www.pcstats.com/article­view.cfm?articleID=1676
    You can create a bootable USB drive providing you have
    1) BIOS that supports booting USB drive. You don't need the BIOS to boot USB
    if you only want to use this for the password file
    2) A tool that will correctly format the USB drive (link on 2nd page of
    above article or here
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html )
    3) bootable files (either image or floppy) to copy to the formatted USB
    drive . You can obtain bootable images from Plato's site here
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i don't
    > have on my laptop.
    > is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
    > i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
    > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thank you.
    > --
    > Indera
    > * * * * * * * * * *
    > Don't just live life.
    > Live life well.

    hi rock,

    hmmm, i'm finding out that not having a floppy drive on my laptop is
    becoming a problem.
    hopefully the next version of windows will support other devices for these
    utilities other than a floppy disk.

    thank you.
    --
    Indera
    * * * * * * * * * *

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    : Dr. Indera wrote:
    :
    : > hello,
    : >
    : > i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i don't
    : > have on my laptop.
    : > is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
    : > i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
    : > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    : >
    : > thank you.
    :
    : No
    :
    : --
    : Rock
    : MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    :

    1. The Forgotten Password Wizard incorrectly backs up your password to drive
    C, or you receive a "This disk is not a password reset disk" error message
    when you try to use the Password Reset Wizard to reset your password in
    Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894686

    2a. Your headers (Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409) tell me that
    you're woefully behind on Critical Updates, Indera. You're running outdated
    and much less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows.

    2b. The KB article cited in #1 above states that the hotfix for this problem
    is included in WinXP SP2. It's high time you (1) install SP2 and then (2)
    revisit Windows Update for additional post-SP2 patches your machine needs to
    run as safe as possible.

    (Yes, Automatic Updates being disabled as evidenced in your other post here
    is at least partly responsible for the lack of updates.)
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Dr. Indera wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i don't
    > have on my laptop.
    > is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
    > i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
    > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thank you.

    Hi,

    The wizard does not support CD-RW or DVD-RW.
    But you may use SD,MMC or RS-MMC through memory card reader, USB flashdisk
    and of course floppy disk to continue with the wizard.

    I used SD card for the wizard via memory card reader and it worked fine.

    Kelvin Lin
    http://www.webgururox.info

    "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i don't
    > have on my laptop.
    > is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
    > i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
    > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thank you.
    > --
    > Indera
    > * * * * * * * * * *
    > Don't just live life.
    > Live life well.

    kelvin,

    i tried using a usb external pen drive, but it didn't work. any idea what i
    did wrong?
    i have sd cards, but don't have an sd card reader built into my laptop.
    hmmmm.

    thank you.
    --
    Indera
    * * * * * * * * * *

    "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
    : Hi,
    :
[...]
    : > --
    : > Indera
    : > * * * * * * * * * *
    : > Don't just live life.
    : > Live life well.
    : >
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    Hi,

    Make sure the drive's working and driver is ok.
    And also take note that your drive must appear in My Computer with a drive
    letter.

    Kelvin Lin
    http://www.webgururox.info

    > kelvin,
    >
    > i tried using a usb external pen drive, but it didn't work. any idea what
    > did wrong?
    > i have sd cards, but don't have an sd card reader built into my laptop.
    > hmmmm.
    >
    > thank you.
    > --
    > Indera
    > * * * * * * * * * *
    > Don't just live life.
    > Live life well.
    >

    > "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
    > : Hi,
    > :
    > : The wizard does not support CD-RW or DVD-RW.
    > : But you may use SD,MMC or RS-MMC through memory card reader, USB
    > flashdisk
    > : and of course floppy disk to continue with the wizard.
    > :
    > : I used SD card for the wizard via memory card reader and it worked fine.
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > : --
    > : --
    > : Kelvin Lin
    > : http://www.webgururox.info
    > :
    > :
    > : "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
    > : news:u59nWcPdFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > : > hello,
    > : >
    > : > i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i
    > don't
    > : > have on my laptop.
    > : > is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
    > : > i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
    > : > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > : >
    > : > thank you.
    > : > --
    > : > Indera
    > : > * * * * * * * * * *
    > : > Don't just live life.
    > : > Live life well.
    > : >
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :

    hi kelvin,

    the thumb drive appears with the letter e, but i can't seem to use it. i
    guess i'll live without being able to use this feature (smile).

    thank you.
    --
    Indera
    * * * * * * * * * *
    Don't just live life.
    Live life well.

    "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
    : Hi,
    :
[...]
    : > :
    : > : The wizard does not support CD-RW or DVD-RW.
    : > : But you may use SD,MMC or RS-MMC through memory card reader, USB
    : > flashdisk
    : > : and of course floppy disk to continue with the wizard.
    : > :
    : > : I used SD card for the wizard via memory card reader and it worked
    fine.
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : --
    : > : --
    : > : Kelvin Lin
    : > : http://www.webgururox.info
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
    : > : news:u59nWcPdFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    : > : > hello,
    : > : >
    : > : > i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i
    : > don't
    : > : > have on my laptop.
    : > : > is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
    : > : > i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
    : > : > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    : > : >
    : > : > thank you.
    : > : > --
    : > : > Indera
    : > : > * * * * * * * * * *
    : > : > Don't just live life.
    : > : > Live life well.
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > :
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    hi pa bear,

    thank you for the link.

    yes, i haven't installed any updates in a long time. i'm working on too many
    projects to take the time/risk of installing sp2 and have it wreck my
    laptop.
    i looked a while ago to see if i could install updates just for outlook
    express, but i couldn't without installing other updates, so i left it
    alone.

    thank you.
    --
    Indera
    * * * * * * * * * *

[...]
    : run as safe as possible.
    :
    : (Yes, Automatic Updates being disabled as evidenced in your other post
    here
    : is at least partly responsible for the lack of updates.)
    : --
    : ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    : MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    :
    : Dr. Indera wrote:
    : > hello,
    : >
    : > i tried using this wizard, but it requests a floppy drive, which i don't
    : > have on my laptop.
    : > is there a way to use this wizard if you do not have a floppy drive?
    : > i tried using a usb drive, but it wasn't recognized by the wizard.
    : > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    : >
    : > thank you.
    :

    thank you harry,

[...]