hello,

are these tools available in xp home?

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *
Don't just live life.
Live life well.

Yes. But Home does not have all the tools that Pro has.

Display Administrative Tools on the Start Menu

1. Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
2. On the Start Menu tab, click Customize.
3. On the Advanced tab, under Start menu items, click System Administrative
Tools.
4. Click to select either the Display on the All Programs menu or the
Display on the All Programs menu and the Start menu option.
5. Click OK, and OK again to save the change.

Administrative Tools folder is empty - Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admintools.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23tGFpdPdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Dr. Indera <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> hunted and pecked:
> hello,
>
> are these tools available in xp home?
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

If you do not see Administrator Tools in the Control Panel then no. If you
do then yes.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> are these tools available in xp home?
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

hi wesley,

i have the pro version so i have the tools.
i was trying to help someone over the phone that has the home version of xp
and they said they didn't see them, so i wanted to find out if the admin
tools were not available in the home version.

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

:
: Display Administrative Tools on the Start Menu
:
: 1. Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
: 2. On the Start Menu tab, click Customize.
: 3. On the Advanced tab, under Start menu items, click System
Administrative
: Tools.
: 4. Click to select either the Display on the All Programs menu or the
: Display on the All Programs menu and the Start menu option.
: 5. Click OK, and OK again to save the change.
:
: Administrative Tools folder is empty - Windows XP
: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admintools.htm
:
:
: --
: Hope this helps. Let us know.
:
: Wes
: MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
:
: In news:%23tGFpdPdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
: Dr. Indera <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> hunted and pecked:
: > hello,
: >
: > are these tools available in xp home?
: >
: > thank you.
: > --
: > Indera
: > * * * * * * * * * *
: > Don't just live life.
: > Live life well.
:

Hi,

Yup, administrative tools (admin tools) are available in XP home.

Kelvin Lin
http://www.webgururox.info

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> are these tools available in xp home?
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

thank you kelvin,

i was trying to help someone over the phone and they have xp home and said
they didn't see this option.
i have xp pro, so i didn't know if this was one of the features that xp home
doesn't have.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

"Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
: Hi,
:
[...]

But many of the policy editors are not (secpol, gpedit), and also the IIS
tools.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Yup, administrative tools (admin tools) are available in XP home.

> Kelvin Lin
> http://www.webgururox.info
>

> "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
>> hello,
>>
>> are these tools available in xp home?
>>
>> thank you.
>> --
>> Indera
>> * * * * * * * * * *
>> Don't just live life.
>> Live life well.

hi rick,

i didn't realize the iis was not available in the home version of xp.
what server would they use then?

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

: But many of the policy editors are not (secpol, gpedit), and also the IIS
: tools.
:
: --
: Best of Luck,
:
: Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
: Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
: www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
: Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
:
: "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
: news:%23l4UriPdFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: > Hi,
: >
: > Yup, administrative tools (admin tools) are available in XP home.
: >
: >
: > --
: > --
: > Kelvin Lin
: > http://www.webgururox.info
: >
: >
: > "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: > news:%23tGFpdPdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: >> hello,
: >>
: >> are these tools available in xp home?
: >>
: >> thank you.
: >> --
: >> Indera
: >> * * * * * * * * * *
: >> Don't just live life.
: >> Live life well.
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >
: >
:
:

Hi,

www.apache.org would work on WinXP Home.

--

> hi rick,
>
> i didn't realize the iis was not available in the home version of xp.
> what server would they use then?
>
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

> : But many of the policy editors are not (secpol, gpedit), and also the
> IIS
> : tools.
> :
> : --
> : Best of Luck,
> :
> : Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> : http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> : Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> : www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> : Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> :
> : "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
> : news:%23l4UriPdFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> : > Hi,
> : >
> : > Yup, administrative tools (admin tools) are available in XP home.
> : >
> : >
> : > --
> : > --
> : > Kelvin Lin
> : > http://www.webgururox.info
> : >
> : >
> : > "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> : > news:%23tGFpdPdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> : >> hello,
> : >>
> : >> are these tools available in xp home?
> : >>
> : >> thank you.
> : >> --
> : >> Indera
> : >> * * * * * * * * * *
> : >> Don't just live life.
> : >> Live life well.
> : >>
> : >>
> : >>
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:49:06 -0400, "Dr. Indera"
<dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote:

>hi rick,
>
>i didn't realize the iis was not available in the home version of xp.
>what server would they use then?

Apache is great, it's free, and it's what most public Web sites use.
Setup is a breeze: http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Home Edition is just for personal useage only.
For more administrative feature like connecting to terminal servers and IIS
are only available in Professional version.

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hi rick,
>
> i didn't realize the iis was not available in the home version of xp.
> what server would they use then?
>
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

> : But many of the policy editors are not (secpol, gpedit), and also the
> IIS
> : tools.
> :
> : --
> : Best of Luck,
> :
> : Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> : http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> : Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> : www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> : Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> :
> : "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
> : news:%23l4UriPdFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> : > Hi,
> : >
> : > Yup, administrative tools (admin tools) are available in XP home.
> : >
> : >
> : > --
> : > --
> : > Kelvin Lin
> : > http://www.webgururox.info
> : >
> : >
> : > "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> : > news:%23tGFpdPdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> : >> hello,
> : >>
> : >> are these tools available in xp home?
> : >>
> : >> thank you.
> : >> --
> : >> Indera
> : >> * * * * * * * * * *
> : >> Don't just live life.
> : >> Live life well.
> : >>
> : >>
> : >>
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

Most websites that use Apache do NOT use the Windows version of Apache.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:49:06 -0400, "Dr. Indera"
> <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote:
>
> >hi rick,
> >
> >i didn't realize the iis was not available in the home version of xp.
> >what server would they use then?
>
> Apache is great, it's free, and it's what most public Web sites use.
> Setup is a breeze: http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:39:12 -0400, "George Hester"
<hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Most websites that use Apache do NOT use the Windows version of Apache.

Agreed -- but the reason I suggest the Windows version is that it's
the same code so you can test everything on your own machine before
uploading it to the public Web site.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

this is very interesting kevin.
i'm starting to believe that the average user doesn't really know what the
differences are between the 2 versions and buy the home version because it's
cheaper.
i still think that the only version should be the pro version <smile>

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

: > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
: > news:eudA4nPdFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > : But many of the policy editors are not (secpol, gpedit), and also the
: > IIS
: > : tools.
: > :
: > : --
: > : Best of Luck,
: > :
: > : Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
: > : http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
: > : Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
: > : www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
: > : Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
: > :
: > : "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
: > : news:%23l4UriPdFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: > : > Hi,
: > : >
: > : > Yup, administrative tools (admin tools) are available in XP home.
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : > --
: > : > Kelvin Lin
: > : > http://www.webgururox.info
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: > : > news:%23tGFpdPdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: > : >> hello,
: > : >>
: > : >> are these tools available in xp home?
: > : >>
: > : >> thank you.
: > : >> --
: > : >> Indera
: > : >> * * * * * * * * * *
: > : >> Don't just live life.
: > : >> Live life well.
: > : >>
: > : >>
: > : >>
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

In news:%23fDlJ0CeFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Dr. Indera <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> typed:

> this is very interesting kevin.
> i'm starting to believe that the average user doesn't really
> know
> what the differences are between the 2 versions and buy the
> home
> version because it's cheaper.

Although that's true, it's also true that some people buy
Professional instead instead of Home because they think it will
somehow be better for them, when it actually isn't. The average
user doesn't need any of the extra features in Professional.

It is *not* true that "Home Edition is just for personal useage
[sic] only." It networks just fine, and is even perfectly
satisfactory for many small businesses.

XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
all) home users, even those with a home network, these features
aren't needed, would never be used, and buying Professional
instead of Home is a waste of money.

For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

> i still think that the only version should be the pro version
> <smile>

Why? Why take away the opportunity to save money from the
thousand and thousands of people who don't need the extra
features in Professional?

Please reply to the newsgroup

thank you rick.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

: Hi,
:
[...]

thank you for the setup instructions link. i really appreciate it.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
: On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:49:06 -0400, "Dr. Indera"
: <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote:
:
: >hi rick,
: >
: >i didn't realize the iis was not available in the home version of xp.
: >what server would they use then?
:
: Apache is great, it's free, and it's what most public Web sites use.
: Setup is a breeze: http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/
:
: --
: Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
: http://OakRoadSystems.com/
: "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
: -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

hi ken,

that's true. i think the home users that would benefit from the pro version
would be software and web developers.
thank you for your insight.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

[...]
: Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
: Please reply to the newsgroup
:
:
: > "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
: > news:uE%23ZWCQdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: >> Home Edition is just for personal useage only.
: >> For more administrative feature like connecting to terminal
: >> servers
: >> and IIS are only available in Professional version.
: >>
: >> "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: >> news:OPDhS%23PdFHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: >>> hi rick,
: >>>
: >>> i didn't realize the iis was not available in the home
: >>> version of
: >>> xp. what server would they use then?
: >>>
: >>> --
: >>> Indera
: >>> * * * * * * * * * *
: >>> Don't just live life.
: >>> Live life well.
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
: >>> news:eudA4nPdFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: >>>> But many of the policy editors are not (secpol, gpedit), and
: >>>> also
: >>>> the IIS tools.
: >>>>
: >>>> --
: >>>> Best of Luck,
: >>>>
: >>>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
: >>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
: >>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
: >>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
: >>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
: >>>>
: >>>> "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
: >>>> news:%23l4UriPdFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: >>>>> Hi,
: >>>>>
: >>>>> Yup, administrative tools (admin tools) are available in XP
: >>>>> home.
: >>>>>
: >>>>>
: >>>>> --
: >>>>> --
: >>>>> Kelvin Lin
: >>>>> http://www.webgururox.info
: >>>>>
: >>>>>
: >>>>> "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in
: >>>>> message
: >>>>> news:%23tGFpdPdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: >>>>>> hello,
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>> are these tools available in xp home?
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>> thank you.
: >>>>>> --
: >>>>>> Indera
: >>>>>> * * * * * * * * * *
: >>>>>> Don't just live life.
: >>>>>> Live life well.
:
:

In news:ewpBWe0eFHA.1612@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Dr. Indera <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> typed:

> that's true. i think the home users that would benefit from the
> pro
> version would be software and web developers.
> thank you for your insight.

You're welcome. Glad to help.