Automated System Recovery (ASR)

hello,

i was wondering if there is a way to use something other than a floppy disk
with this utility because my laptop does not have a floppy drive?

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

You might be able to use a USB Thumb drive but only if your BIOS Supports
reading USB devices
it. You will have to set the USB Drive to emulate a floppy first. See this
info that I posted to someone else but it should work for you as well.

Use a USB Thumb drive. The benefit is that it is a physical drive and you
will be able to open this drive before Windows loads. You will need to set
it up to be recognized as a floppy drive. Read both pages here
http://www.pcstats.com/article­view.cfm?articleID=1676
You can create a bootable USB drive providing you have
1) BIOS that supports booting USB drive. You don't need the BIOS to boot USB
if you only want to use this for the password file
2) A tool that will correctly format the USB drive (link on 2nd page of
above article or here
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html )
3) bootable files (either image or floppy) to copy to the formatted USB
drive . You can obtain bootable images from Plato's site here
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Once the USB drive is setup you should be able to select it when the ASR
Wizard requests the floppy.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i was wondering if there is a way to use something other than a floppy
> disk
> with this utility because my laptop does not have a floppy drive?
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Dr. Indera wrote:

> hello,
>
> i was wondering if there is a way to use something other than a floppy disk
> with this utility because my laptop does not have a floppy drive?
>
> thank you.

No.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

Sad to say this, but answer is No.

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i was wondering if there is a way to use something other than a floppy
> disk
> with this utility because my laptop does not have a floppy drive?
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

thank you kelvin,

i was afraid this was going to be the answer <smile>

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

"Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: Sad to say this, but answer is No.
:
: "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: news:uVaaoePdFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > hello,
: >
: > i was wondering if there is a way to use something other than a floppy
: > disk
: > with this utility because my laptop does not have a floppy drive?
: >
: > thank you.
: > --
: > Indera
: > * * * * * * * * * *
: > Don't just live life.
: > Live life well.
: >
: >
: >
:
:

thank you harry.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

[...]
: --
:
: Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
: www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
:
:
: "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: news:uVaaoePdFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > hello,
: >
: > i was wondering if there is a way to use something other than a floppy
: > disk
: > with this utility because my laptop does not have a floppy drive?
: >
: > thank you.
: > --
: > Indera