Admin tools services

June 19, 2005 6:02:21 PM

hello,

if there is a service listed for software that i have un-installed, how do i
delete the service for it?
i installed the trial version of a software package, but no longer want it
on my computer.

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

More about : admin tools services

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 6:55:53 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:02:21 -0400, Dr. Indera wrote:

> hello,
>
> if there is a service listed for software that i have un-installed, how do i
> delete the service for it?
> i installed the trial version of a software package, but no longer want it
> on my computer.
>
> thank you.

There may be a more formal or correct way to do this. However, I've never
seen a document about it so this is what I've done in the past. NOTE: This
method has never caused problems on my system, but your mileage may vary.
Proceed only if confident that if things go pear-shaped, you know how
you'll restore the system to the same condition it was in before you
started.

Open service.msc and find the service added by the application. Check the
properties sheets for the file name that runs this service. It should show
a file name that is not a Windows file - one that was added by the
program's installation. Change the startup type to disabled.

If the service is currently started, stop it using the link in
services.msc.

Next locate the file mentioned in Properties on the hard drive. Rename or
delete so that it will not run again.

Open the registry editor to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. If you
can recognize the folder with the data for the service, export and then
delete it. If you cannot recognize it, just skip this step. Close registry
editor.

Restart the system to test your changes. If successful (no problems),
return to services.msc and delete the service.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You can find the service in the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

It will be one of the keys under here. Back up the key then delete it. It
will no longer be in Services.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> if there is a service listed for software that i have un-installed, how do
> delete the service for it?
> i installed the trial version of a software package, but no longer want it
> on my computer.
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

June 20, 2005 2:11:21 PM

Indera,

The Service and driver entries are present under this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services]

Each sub-key represents a driver or a Service. To modify/delete a 3rd party
service, click Start, Run and type REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor and
navigate to the above location.You should be able to identify them easily by
reading the "DisplayName" and "ImagePath" fields in the right-pane in the
Registry Editor.

Note: Before modifying / removing a Service, create a System Restore point
or a complete Registry backup, just in case something happens.

[ERUNT] Registry Backup and Restore for Windows

[ERUNT Download URLs]
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt-setup.exe

[Installing & Using ERUNT]
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt...

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

> hello,
>
> if there is a service listed for software that i have un-installed, how do
> delete the service for it?
> i installed the trial version of a software package, but no longer want it
> on my computer.
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:52:21 PM

wow - this is great news george!
thank you.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

:
: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
:
: It will be one of the keys under here. Back up the key then delete it.
It
: will no longer be in Services.
:
: --
: George Hester
: _______________________________
: "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: news:#GHqKkPdFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: > hello,
: >
: > if there is a service listed for software that i have un-installed, how
do
: i
: > delete the service for it?
: > i installed the trial version of a software package, but no longer want
it
: > on my computer.
: >
: > thank you.
: > --
: > Indera
: > * * * * * * * * * *
: > Don't just live life.
: > Live life well.
: >
: >
: >
:
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:52:25 PM

thank you so much sharon. i will give it a whirl.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

[...]
June 23, 2005 7:52:28 PM

thank you ramesh. this info will be helpful.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

news:o jFnNJVdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: Indera,
:
[...]
: Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
[...]
June 24, 2005 4:31:48 AM

Just don't get carried away with this method. For the Service you mentioned
I knew nothing bad would happen and you could always restore the key and
hence the service. But not all keys under there behave that way. If you
removed RPC Service key using this method of backing up first you will NOT
be able to restore the Service by merging the saved key back in.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can find the service in the registry here:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
>
> It will be one of the keys under here. Back up the key then delete it.
It
> will no longer be in Services.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> > hello,
> >
> > if there is a service listed for software that i have un-installed, how
do
> > delete the service for it?
> > i installed the trial version of a software package, but no longer want
it
> > on my computer.
> >
> > thank you.
> > --
> > Indera
> > * * * * * * * * * *
> > Don't just live life.
> > Live life well.

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:19:29 PM

You're welcome Indera.

--

http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> [...]
> : Ramesh, MS-MVP
> : Windows Shell/User
> :
> : Windows XP Troubleshooting
> : http://www.winhelponline.com
> :
> : Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
> :
> : "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> : news:%23GHqKkPdFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> : > hello,
> : >
> : > if there is a service listed for software that i have un-installed,
> how
> do
> : > i
> : > delete the service for it?
> : > i installed the trial version of a software package, but no longer

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:32:51 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:31:48 -0400, "George Hester"

>Just don't get carried away with this method. For the Service you mentioned
>I knew nothing bad would happen and you could always restore the key and
>hence the service. But not all keys under there behave that way. If you
>removed RPC Service key using this method of backing up first you will NOT
>be able to restore the Service by merging the saved key back in.

Bit of a sore point, that - why an exploitable service exposed to the
Internet is impossible to rip out because the OS needs it locally.

To quote John Parker from Backaroo Banzai:
"...but it's a very bad design"

>-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
"Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"
!