boot problem

Hi I've cloned a windows installation to a new hard drive.
The cloning went allright.
I can mount the partition on another system and read the whole filesystem
(NTFS).
But it doesn't boot: it doesn't even give any error message.

What is strange is that the recovery console sees a Window xp install: I can
log into it. bootcfg /scan confirms that there is a Windows XP, and the
boot.ini file is allright.

I tried fixboot, fixmbr, I've run chkdsk /r on the partition, but nothing
helped.

My partition table seems allright.

What may be wrong?

It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
active NTFS partition.
11 answers Last reply
More about boot problem

    "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42b5d308$0$317$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
    > Hi I've cloned a windows installation to a new hard drive.
    > The cloning went allright.
    > I can mount the partition on another system and read the whole filesystem
    > (NTFS).
    > But it doesn't boot: it doesn't even give any error message.
    >
    > What is strange is that the recovery console sees a Window xp install: I can
    > log into it. bootcfg /scan confirms that there is a Windows XP, and the
    > boot.ini file is allright.
    >
    > I tried fixboot, fixmbr, I've run chkdsk /r on the partition, but nothing
    > helped.
    >
    > My partition table seems allright.
    >
    > What may be wrong?
    >
    > It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
    > active NTFS partition.

    See if this applies-
    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

    If it not a question of a BIOS limitation for the drive: Have you tried booting from your
    Windows XP CD and doing a Repair Install?

    For a step by step walk through of a
    Windows XP Repair Install, including screenshots, go to:

    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsx­p/repair_xp.htm

    When the page opens, scroll down and click on: How To Run A Repair
    Install.

    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42b5d308$0$317$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
    > Hi I've cloned a windows installation to a new hard drive.
    > The cloning went allright.
    > I can mount the partition on another system and read the whole filesystem
    > (NTFS).
    > But it doesn't boot: it doesn't even give any error message.
    >
    > What is strange is that the recovery console sees a Window xp install: I can
    > log into it. bootcfg /scan confirms that there is a Windows XP, and the
    > boot.ini file is allright.
    >
    > I tried fixboot, fixmbr, I've run chkdsk /r on the partition, but nothing
    > helped.
    >
    > My partition table seems allright.
    >
    > What may be wrong?
    >
    > It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
    > active NTFS partition.

    Are you certain the drive has the correct jumper configuration? Should be
    set as Master.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi I've cloned a windows installation to a new hard drive.
    > The cloning went allright.
    > I can mount the partition on another system and read the whole filesystem
    > (NTFS).
    > But it doesn't boot: it doesn't even give any error message.
    >
    > What is strange is that the recovery console sees a Window xp install: I
    > can
    > log into it. bootcfg /scan confirms that there is a Windows XP, and the
    > boot.ini file is allright.
    >
    > I tried fixboot, fixmbr, I've run chkdsk /r on the partition, but nothing
    > helped.
    >
    > My partition table seems allright.
    >
    > What may be wrong?
    >
    > It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
    > active NTFS partition.

    You are trying to use the cloned disk in another computer? Won't work
    without a repair install of the operating system. Then you have to obtain
    all of the Windows XP drivers for the other computer. Then you have to
    re-download a ton of Windows Updates again on the other computer. Then you
    will have to activate the operating system on the other computer.

    Microsoft certainly doesn't make it easy to pirate their operating system!
    (-:

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi I've cloned a windows installation to a new hard drive.
    > The cloning went allright.
    > I can mount the partition on another system and read the whole filesystem
    > (NTFS).
    > But it doesn't boot: it doesn't even give any error message.
    >
    > What is strange is that the recovery console sees a Window xp install: I
    > can
    > log into it. bootcfg /scan confirms that there is a Windows XP, and the
    > boot.ini file is allright.
    >
    > I tried fixboot, fixmbr, I've run chkdsk /r on the partition, but nothing
    > helped.
    >
    > My partition table seems allright.
    >
    > What may be wrong?
    >
    > It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
    > active NTFS partition.

    If you ARE trying to use a cloned drive in another system: If the original was an OEM
    install (or an OEM version on a purchased system) then it is tied to the motherboard of
    the original system. Ergo that cloned drive will not boot into Windows XP in another
    system.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    > You are trying to use the cloned disk in another computer? Won't work
    > without a repair install of the operating system. Then you have to obtain
    > all of the Windows XP drivers for the other computer. Then you have to
    > re-download a ton of Windows Updates again on the other computer. Then you
    > will have to activate the operating system on the other computer.
    >
    > Microsoft certainly doesn't make it easy to pirate their operating system!
    > (-:
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban

    > "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi I've cloned a windows installation to a new hard drive.
    > > The cloning went allright.
    > > I can mount the partition on another system and read the whole filesystem
    > > (NTFS).
    > > But it doesn't boot: it doesn't even give any error message.
    > >
    > > What is strange is that the recovery console sees a Window xp install: I
    > > can
    > > log into it. bootcfg /scan confirms that there is a Windows XP, and the
    > > boot.ini file is allright.
    > >
    > > I tried fixboot, fixmbr, I've run chkdsk /r on the partition, but nothing
    > > helped.
    > >
    > > My partition table seems allright.
    > >
    > > What may be wrong?
    > >
    > > It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
    > > active NTFS partition.

    "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi I've cloned a windows installation to a new hard drive.
    > The cloning went allright.
    > I can mount the partition on another system and read the whole filesystem
    > (NTFS).
    > But it doesn't boot: it doesn't even give any error message.
    >
    > What is strange is that the recovery console sees a Window xp install: I
    can
    > log into it. bootcfg /scan confirms that there is a Windows XP, and the
    > boot.ini file is allright.
    >
    > I tried fixboot, fixmbr, I've run chkdsk /r on the partition, but nothing
    > helped.
    >
    > My partition table seems allright.
    >
    > What may be wrong?
    >
    > It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
    > active NTFS partition.

    Please state exactly how far the boot process gets.

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi I've cloned a windows installation to a new hard drive.
    >> The cloning went allright.
    >> I can mount the partition on another system and read the whole filesystem
    >> (NTFS).
    >> But it doesn't boot: it doesn't even give any error message.
    >>
    >> What is strange is that the recovery console sees a Window xp install: I
    > can
    >> log into it. bootcfg /scan confirms that there is a Windows XP, and the
    >> boot.ini file is allright.
    >>
    >> I tried fixboot, fixmbr, I've run chkdsk /r on the partition, but nothing
    >> helped.
    >>
    >> My partition table seems allright.
    >>
    >> What may be wrong?
    >>
    >> It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
    >> active NTFS partition.
    >
    > Please state exactly how far the boot process gets.

    It doesn't start at all: directly after the bios screen all I get is a
    blinking cursor.

    I'm coming to think that the bios cannot find the partition. Perhaps because
    it's beyond the limitations of the old Bioses (the motherboard is from 2001
    I think), and there isn't the option to access the drive in LBA mode.
    I'll check that tomorrow.
    Thanks.

    > I'm coming to think that the bios cannot find the partition. Perhaps
    because
    > it's beyond the limitations of the old Bioses (the motherboard is from
    2001
    > I think), and there isn't the option to access the drive in LBA mode.
    > I'll check that tomorrow.
    > Thanks.

    Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com),
    then run ntfsdos.exe (www.sysinternals.com) do check if your
    system partition is there and readable.

    Now format floppy disk #2 on some other WinXP/2000
    machine and take it to the problem PC while still under
    the Win98 boot. Type this command:

    type c:\boot.ini > a:\boot.ini.

    Now take floppy disk #2 back to your WinXP PC
    and copy these two files from the i386 folder of your
    WinXP CD to A:\ -
    - ntldr
    - ntdetect.com

    You have just manufactured a WinXP floppy boot disk.
    See what happens when you boot the problem PC
    with it.

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm coming to think that the bios cannot find the partition. Perhaps
    > because
    >> it's beyond the limitations of the old Bioses (the motherboard is from
    > 2001
    >> I think), and there isn't the option to access the drive in LBA mode.
    >> I'll check that tomorrow.
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com),
    > then run ntfsdos.exe (www.sysinternals.com) do check if your
    > system partition is there and readable.
    >
    > Now format floppy disk #2 on some other WinXP/2000
    > machine and take it to the problem PC while still under
    > the Win98 boot. Type this command:
    >
    > type c:\boot.ini > a:\boot.ini.
    >
    > Now take floppy disk #2 back to your WinXP PC
    > and copy these two files from the i386 folder of your
    > WinXP CD to A:\ -
    > - ntldr
    > - ntdetect.com
    >
    > You have just manufactured a WinXP floppy boot disk.
    > See what happens when you boot the problem PC
    > with it.

    Thanks I'll give it a try.

    I brewed my own solution:
    I made a new install of XP on the first partition.
    In the boot.ini of this new install I added the option to boot the old
    version (the one on partition two). The old version boots allright now, I
    just had to swap the drive assignment in HLM\System\MountedDevices.

    This solution seems a bit odd, but my friends/clients don't have the XP CDs
    and I prefer that they work with the XP they paid for.

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:31:44 +0200, noop <noop@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >> "noop" <noop@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> It's a Packard Bell computer with a hidden (restore) partition before the
    >>> active NTFS partition.
    >>
    >> Please state exactly how far the boot process gets.
    >
    >It doesn't start at all: directly after the bios screen all I get is a
    >blinking cursor.

    Is the "special" Packhard Bell partition set as active, or the XP
    installation partition you intended to boot?

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Partition Boot Windows XP