Debate On Best Backup Of Registry

Hi To All,
Am having a discussion as to which is the best way to backup the
Registry.
I know that just exporting and importing the Registry does not put the
Registry
back to as it was before any new entries were made.

I've been told that doing a System Restore does not wipe out all new entries
either.

I was told that the only way to put a Registry back as it was before new
entries,
is to do a System State backup using the Microsoft Backup utility.

Is the correct, and if not what method puts a Registry back, wiping out any
and
all new entries, the way it was ?

Paul

Thanks
15 answers Last reply
More about debate backup registry

    IMO, using ERUNT is the best way to backup the registry.

    NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
    ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT

    Direct download links (the zip files just need unzipping and dropping on the
    drive. {Thank you, Jim}
    http://aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip

    http://aumha.org/downloads/ntregopt.zip

    ERUNT [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
    make a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
    registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
    saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
    registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
    merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    old and new registry keys.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt

    NTREGOPT [[Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
    system can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
    disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
    use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
    or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
    and optimize registry access.

    The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
    thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
    modified or deleted keys.

    Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
    any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
    (as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
    done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
    minimum size possible.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ntregopt.txt

    Installing & Using ERUNT
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

    To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:vDkte.11408$wm2.4208@fe05.lga,
    Paul Berkow <427450@charter.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi To All,
    > Am having a discussion as to which is the best way to backup the
    > Registry.
    > I know that just exporting and importing the Registry does not put the
    > Registry
    > back to as it was before any new entries were made.
    >
    > I've been told that doing a System Restore does not wipe out all new
    > entries either.
    >
    > I was told that the only way to put a Registry back as it was before new
    > entries,
    > is to do a System State backup using the Microsoft Backup utility.
    >
    > Is the correct, and if not what method puts a Registry back, wiping out
    > any and
    > all new entries, the way it was ?
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > Thanks

    Imaging (IMO) is the best solution. The Registry is an integral
    part of an XP instance or install. Trying to "Preserve" it without
    all the other components that make up XP seems deficient.An
    image guarantees that everything (Disk data,Apps) are sync'd
    properly.

    "Paul Berkow" <427450@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Hi To All,
    > Am having a discussion as to which is the best way to backup the
    > Registry.
    > I know that just exporting and importing the Registry does not put the
    > Registry
    > back to as it was before any new entries were made.
    >
    > I've been told that doing a System Restore does not wipe out all new
    > entries either.
    >
    > I was told that the only way to put a Registry back as it was before new
    > entries,
    > is to do a System State backup using the Microsoft Backup utility.
    >
    > Is the correct, and if not what method puts a Registry back, wiping out
    > any and
    > all new entries, the way it was ?
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > Thanks

    What do you mean by Imaging ? What utility do I use ?

    Paul Berkow wrote:

    > What do you mean by Imaging ? What utility do I use ?
    >

    > "Paul Berkow" <427450@charter.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi To All,
    >> Am having a discussion as to which is the best way to backup the
    >>Registry.
    >>I know that just exporting and importing the Registry does not put the
    >>Registry
    >>back to as it was before any new entries were made.
    >>
    >>I've been told that doing a System Restore does not wipe out all new
    >>entries either.
    >>
    >>I was told that the only way to put a Registry back as it was before new
    >>entries,
    >>is to do a System State backup using the Microsoft Backup utility.
    >>
    >>Is the correct, and if not what method puts a Registry back, wiping out
    >>any and
    >>all new entries, the way it was ?
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Imaging is a process by which a complete image of the drive / partition
    is created in a compressed format and saved on another medium. The best
    is to save it to an external medium such as DVD or a USB hard drive.
    Then if there is a problem the complete drive image can be restored.
    Restores can also be done, depending on the program, on a file/directory
    basis. Programs that do this are Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, and
    Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows and BootIt NG.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Paul Berkow wrote:

    > What do you mean by Imaging ? What utility do I use ?
    >

    > "Paul Berkow" <427450@charter.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi To All,
    >> Am having a discussion as to which is the best way to backup the
    >>Registry.
    >>I know that just exporting and importing the Registry does not put the
    >>Registry
    >>back to as it was before any new entries were made.
    >>
    >>I've been told that doing a System Restore does not wipe out all new
    >>entries either.
    >>
    >>I was told that the only way to put a Registry back as it was before new
    >>entries,
    >>is to do a System State backup using the Microsoft Backup utility.
    >>
    >>Is the correct, and if not what method puts a Registry back, wiping out
    >>any and
    >>all new entries, the way it was ?
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>
    >>Thanks

    For backing up just the registry use ERUNT. It works well.
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Imaging refers to a program that can take an entire drive or
    partition and create a module or set of modules that contains
    a complete, but compressed copy of the drive. The end result
    modules are not user readable, but must be recovered or be
    accessed with the originating imaging program or tool. Think
    of it in the same way as "Zipping" files and folders into a single
    compressed file. Images are invaluable because a system can
    be completely restored to a previous state in a fairly quick
    operation. There is a little more to the operation than what I've
    listed - but this is essentially what it does.

    > What do you mean by Imaging ? What utility do I use ?
    >

    > "Paul Berkow" <427450@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi To All,
    >> Am having a discussion as to which is the best way to backup the
    >> Registry.
    >> I know that just exporting and importing the Registry does not put the
    >> Registry
    >> back to as it was before any new entries were made.
    >>
    >> I've been told that doing a System Restore does not wipe out all new
    >> entries either.
    >>
    >> I was told that the only way to put a Registry back as it was before new
    >> entries,
    >> is to do a System State backup using the Microsoft Backup utility.
    >>
    >> Is the correct, and if not what method puts a Registry back, wiping out
    >> any and
    >> all new entries, the way it was ?
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> Thanks

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:32:38 -0400, "Paul Berkow"

    > Am having a discussion as to which is the best way to backup the
    >Registry. I know that just exporting and importing the Registry does not
    >put the Registry back to as it was before any new entries were made.

    >I've been told that doing a System Restore does not wipe out all new entries
    >either.

    SR does a lot of other things, besides revert the registry. That's
    good from a perspective of consistency, but bad if you'd rather dent a
    few things and fix them yourself my limiting your fallback to registry
    alone. Unfortunately, XP lacks the 5-shot cyclical registry backup
    that Win98 and WinME used to have; it's more like Win95's 1-shot
    backup, and it shoots that shot too early (i.e. writes the current
    over the backup while there is still a chance that late boot errors
    can render the system unbootable, and "last good" thus useless)

    >I was told that the only way to put a Registry back as it was before new
    >entries, is to do a System State backup using the Microsoft Backup utility.
    >
    >Is the correct, and if not what method puts a Registry back, wiping out any
    >and all new entries, the way it was ?

    I use ERUNT (free download, old versions may fail on SP1 and SP2, get
    the latest) to make multiple registry backups from within the OS, but
    so far, touch wood, I've not had to restore any of them.

    ERUNT may not back up *all* registry hives, only active ones. The big
    problem there are accounts that aren'y logged in, especially as the
    per-account registry seems (a) particularly prone to catastrophic
    loss, and (b) devoid of any "last good" fallback whatsoever.

    The other option is to manage this stuff out of band. If FATxx and
    under 137G, you can do that from DOS mode; if NTFS, you'd have to use
    Bart's PE. In the absence of any MS presence, Bart's PE is the de
    facto standard maintenance OS for XP - i.e. what can manage the
    installation without auto-writes to HD or running any code from there.
    For such purposes, Safe Mode isn't.

    See http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm on mOS options.

    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    Who is General Failure and
    why is he reading my disk?

    I have to wonder why Microsoft changed that. Having various dates to go back
    to was nice. It's not like today's hard drive could not accommodate at least
    3-4 full registry backups. It would be nice to have a choice again of "last
    known good"!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:qkacb1hrk9vtm4otrtdb7957uarnl0ddeh@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:32:38 -0400, "Paul Berkow"
    >
    >> Am having a discussion as to which is the best way to backup the
    >>Registry. I know that just exporting and importing the Registry does not
    >>put the Registry back to as it was before any new entries were made.
    >
    >>I've been told that doing a System Restore does not wipe out all new
    >>entries
    >>either.
    >
    > SR does a lot of other things, besides revert the registry. That's
    > good from a perspective of consistency, but bad if you'd rather dent a
    > few things and fix them yourself my limiting your fallback to registry
    > alone. Unfortunately, XP lacks the 5-shot cyclical registry backup
    > that Win98 and WinME used to have; it's more like Win95's 1-shot
    > backup, and it shoots that shot too early (i.e. writes the current
    > over the backup while there is still a chance that late boot errors
    > can render the system unbootable, and "last good" thus useless)
    >
    >>I was told that the only way to put a Registry back as it was before new
    >>entries, is to do a System State backup using the Microsoft Backup
    >>utility.
    >>
    >>Is the correct, and if not what method puts a Registry back, wiping out
    >>any
    >>and all new entries, the way it was ?
    >
    > I use ERUNT (free download, old versions may fail on SP1 and SP2, get
    > the latest) to make multiple registry backups from within the OS, but
    > so far, touch wood, I've not had to restore any of them.
    >
    > ERUNT may not back up *all* registry hives, only active ones. The big
    > problem there are accounts that aren'y logged in, especially as the
    > per-account registry seems (a) particularly prone to catastrophic
    > loss, and (b) devoid of any "last good" fallback whatsoever.
    >
    > The other option is to manage this stuff out of band. If FATxx and
    > under 137G, you can do that from DOS mode; if NTFS, you'd have to use
    > Bart's PE. In the absence of any MS presence, Bart's PE is the de
    > facto standard maintenance OS for XP - i.e. what can manage the
    > installation without auto-writes to HD or running any code from there.
    > For such purposes, Safe Mode isn't.
    >
    > See http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm on mOS options.
    >

    >>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    > Who is General Failure and
    > why is he reading my disk?
    >>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:40:51 -0400, "R. McCarty"

    >Imaging (IMO) is the best solution. The Registry is an integral
    >part of an XP instance or install. Trying to "Preserve" it without
    >all the other components that make up XP seems deficient.An
    >image guarantees that everything (Disk data,Apps) are sync'd
    >properly.

    OTOH, an image would be utterly useless if you knew there was a bad
    registry thing you wanted to fix, but other changes made since the
    image that you wanted to retain.

    If you could browse the image so you could pick out the registry, that
    would be useful; else not.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:32:34 -0400, "Richard Urban"

    >I have to wonder why Microsoft changed that. Having various dates to go back
    >to was nice. It's not like today's hard drive could not accommodate at least
    >3-4 full registry backups. It would be nice to have a choice again of "last
    >known good"!

    They didn't change it; they never had it.

    Remember, Win9x and NT are two separate product teams, with NT the
    "better" OS. That inclines the NT team to be dismissive of anything
    the Win9x team might do, on a NIH (Not Invented Herre) basis.

    The consequences of this run deep.

    NT split off the common track in the MS-DOS 5 era, and was initially
    developed by a somewhat "outside" team, led by one who came in from
    some sort of mainframe or minicomputer OS dev (I forget the details,
    but AFICR it was a man called Cutler from VAX or VM).

    That's why parts of XP have such a stone-age feel to them, such as
    ChkDsk. It's as if PC Tools, Norton Utilities and Scandisk never
    happened. The pathetic registry fallback system is just another
    example of a missed opportunity to learn from the Win9x team.

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    I swear to god i must be the only true
    optimist left on the planet. <casmill2>
    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:02:51 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >IMO, using ERUNT is the best way to backup the registry.

    Any recommended programs for monitoring changes to the registry? I'd
    like to keep track of what program installs/de-installs are doing.
    (Most of them seem to leave a lot of trash in the registry even after
    uninstalling)

    I don't know of any.

    Make a backup with ERUNT before installing any program, then use the backup
    after uninstalling that program.

    That sounded good on paper, as it were, but it doesn't take into account any
    other changes you may have made.

    I did do a search though. I haven't used any of these.

    Sysinternals Freeware - Regmon
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html

    Active Registry Monitor
    http://www.protect-me.com/arm/

    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Registry+monitor&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:r84hb19u4514313fjvvbnv8kv50qgqgc0i@4ax.com,
    _RR <_RR@nomail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:02:51 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> IMO, using ERUNT is the best way to backup the registry.
    >
    > Any recommended programs for monitoring changes to the registry? I'd
    > like to keep track of what program installs/de-installs are doing.
    > (Most of them seem to leave a lot of trash in the registry even after
    > uninstalling)

    [re detecting registry changes]

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:41:50 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I don't know of any.
    >
    >Make a backup with ERUNT before installing any program, then use the backup
    >after uninstalling that program.

    I want to see which reg keys are altered, so naturally I tried
    exporting the entire registry to a text file before and after and
    doing a 'diff' but there are lots of MRU (most-recently-used) and
    other keys that give false triggers. I figured that someone has
    written a program that knows which hives to monitor.

    >That sounded good on paper, as it were, but it doesn't take into account any
    >other changes you may have made.
    >
    >I did do a search though. I haven't used any of these.
    >
    >Sysinternals Freeware - Regmon
    >http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html
    >
    >Active Registry Monitor
    >http://www.protect-me.com/arm/
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Registry+monitor&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

    Thanks for the links. I didn't know there was a Sysinternals program.
    That should be good. I'll check both.

    Have fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:trnmb117td557dc3vkke2fm3e5b412dtkn@4ax.com,
    _RR <_RR@nomail.org> hunted and pecked:
    > [re detecting registry changes]
    >
    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:41:50 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know of any.
    >>
    >> Make a backup with ERUNT before installing any program, then use the
    >> backup after uninstalling that program.
    >
    > I want to see which reg keys are altered, so naturally I tried
    > exporting the entire registry to a text file before and after and
    > doing a 'diff' but there are lots of MRU (most-recently-used) and
    > other keys that give false triggers. I figured that someone has
    > written a program that knows which hives to monitor.
    >
    >> That sounded good on paper, as it were, but it doesn't take into account
    >> any other changes you may have made.
    >>
    >> I did do a search though. I haven't used any of these.
    >>
    >> Sysinternals Freeware - Regmon
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html
    >>
    >> Active Registry Monitor
    >> http://www.protect-me.com/arm/

    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Registry+monitor&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

    > Thanks for the links. I didn't know there was a Sysinternals program.
    > That should be good. I'll check both.

    http://the7thlab.mybesthost.com/#h_regshot

Backup Registry Microsoft Windows XP