xp boot up

hi,
i have xp pro running on a pentium 4 2.4 gb processor with 1.25gb ram (1 gb
+ 256mb). it boots fine on a cold start but if i re-boot it goes past the
bios and starts to load and then i hear a noise and it crashes, i then get
the option to go into safe mode..blah blah. however it will not boot into
anything. if i turn it off for 2 minutes(yes i have timed it......sad i know)
it will boot fine. my initial thought was cpu temp but have looked into this
with sensors and monitoring programmes to no avail. i can only think that it
is not releasing memory from the ram........and when it tries to re-boot it
sees that the ram is busy and crashes, or is it my motherboard doesnt like
the 1gb ram i have installed. any help or suggestions very appreciated thank
you
3 answers Last reply
More about boot

    You'll want to get to the bottom of what the noise is. More than likely the
    drive has failed.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "paul" wrote:
    | hi,
    | i have xp pro running on a pentium 4 2.4 gb processor with 1.25gb ram (1
    gb
    | + 256mb). it boots fine on a cold start but if i re-boot it goes past the
    | bios and starts to load and then i hear a noise and it crashes, i then get
    | the option to go into safe mode..blah blah. however it will not boot into
    | anything. if i turn it off for 2 minutes(yes i have timed it......sad i
    know)
    | it will boot fine. my initial thought was cpu temp but have looked into
    this
    | with sensors and monitoring programmes to no avail. i can only think that
    it
    | is not releasing memory from the ram........and when it tries to re-boot
    it
    | sees that the ram is busy and crashes, or is it my motherboard doesnt like
    | the 1gb ram i have installed. any help or suggestions very appreciated
    thank
    | you

    the noise is just a really quiet one, .....mmmmm what makes you think hdd
    hadnt thought of that

    "paul" wrote:
    | the noise is just a really quiet one, .....mmmmm what makes you think hdd?
    * Fans and drives make noise. Ram does not. :)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]