xp boot up

June 19, 2005 7:08:02 PM

hi,
i have xp pro running on a pentium 4 2.4 gb processor with 1.25gb ram (1 gb
+ 256mb). it boots fine on a cold start but if i re-boot it goes past the
bios and starts to load and then i hear a noise and it crashes, i then get
the option to go into safe mode..blah blah. however it will not boot into
anything. if i turn it off for 2 minutes(yes i have timed it......sad i know)
it will boot fine. my initial thought was cpu temp but have looked into this
with sensors and monitoring programmes to no avail. i can only think that it
is not releasing memory from the ram........and when it tries to re-boot it
sees that the ram is busy and crashes, or is it my motherboard doesnt like
the 1gb ram i have installed. any help or suggestions very appreciated thank
you

More about : boot

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 8:27:49 PM

You'll want to get to the bottom of what the noise is. More than likely the
drive has failed.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"paul" wrote:
| hi,
| i have xp pro running on a pentium 4 2.4 gb processor with 1.25gb ram (1
gb
| + 256mb). it boots fine on a cold start but if i re-boot it goes past the
| bios and starts to load and then i hear a noise and it crashes, i then get
| the option to go into safe mode..blah blah. however it will not boot into
| anything. if i turn it off for 2 minutes(yes i have timed it......sad i
know)
| it will boot fine. my initial thought was cpu temp but have looked into
this
| with sensors and monitoring programmes to no avail. i can only think that
it
| is not releasing memory from the ram........and when it tries to re-boot
it
| sees that the ram is busy and crashes, or is it my motherboard doesnt like
| the 1gb ram i have installed. any help or suggestions very appreciated
thank
| you
June 19, 2005 8:27:50 PM

the noise is just a really quiet one, .....mmmmm what makes you think hdd
hadnt thought of that

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You'll want to get to the bottom of what the noise is. More than likely the
> drive has failed.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "paul" wrote:
> | hi,
> | i have xp pro running on a pentium 4 2.4 gb processor with 1.25gb ram (1
> gb
> | + 256mb). it boots fine on a cold start but if i re-boot it goes past the
> | bios and starts to load and then i hear a noise and it crashes, i then get
> | the option to go into safe mode..blah blah. however it will not boot into
> | anything. if i turn it off for 2 minutes(yes i have timed it......sad i
> know)
> | it will boot fine. my initial thought was cpu temp but have looked into
> this
> | with sensors and monitoring programmes to no avail. i can only think that
> it
> | is not releasing memory from the ram........and when it tries to re-boot
> it
> | sees that the ram is busy and crashes, or is it my motherboard doesnt like
> | the 1gb ram i have installed. any help or suggestions very appreciated
> thank
> | you

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 8:48:58 PM

"paul" wrote:
| the noise is just a really quiet one, .....mmmmm what makes you think hdd?
* Fans and drives make noise. Ram does not. :)