drive speed

June 19, 2005 10:39:39 PM

Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and CD's
x8.
All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any utilities
to do it .
I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set up.

Thanks for any suggestion.
Chuck

More about : drive speed

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:10:12 PM

Hi,

Burning speed is often related to the amount of resources available to the
system and the extraction rate of the media the files are being copied from.
For instance, if you are doing a CD to CD copy, the write speed will be
limited by the extraction rate of the drive that the original disk is in.
Keep in mind that the extraction rate and the read speed are not the same
thing. The drive may read at 32x, but extract data at a much lower rate.If
other programs or processes are running on the system, this will slow it
down even more to prevent buffer problems.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Scar" <NoBody@home> wrote in message
> Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
> Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and
> CD's x8.
> All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
> What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any
> utilities to do it .
> I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set
> up.
>
> Thanks for any suggestion.
> Chuck

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:14:46 AM

Look in device manager at the IDE drive controller that the burner is
connected to. Is the drive set to run in Ultra DMA or DMA mode or in POI
mode? DMA is what you want. POI mode is very slow.

If you put in a defective CD or DVD, one with many read errors, the
operating system will "drop" the speed down (incrementally) until the disk
can be read competently. This drop down is permanent.

In device manager, uninstall the IDE controller for the burner (either IDE 1
or 2). Reboot. The controller will be re-detected on startup and everything
should be back to normal! If you again have problems reading a disk the same
thing may/will occur.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Scar" <NoBody@home> wrote in message
> Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
> Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and
> CD's x8.
> All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
> What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any
> utilities to do it .
> I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set
> up.
>
> Thanks for any suggestion.
> Chuck

June 20, 2005 3:19:36 AM

Sorry! The above post should reference PIO mode, ***NOT*** POI mode.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

> Look in device manager at the IDE drive controller that the burner is
> connected to. Is the drive set to run in Ultra DMA or DMA mode or in POI
> mode? DMA is what you want. POI mode is very slow.
>
> If you put in a defective CD or DVD, one with many read errors, the
> operating system will "drop" the speed down (incrementally) until the disk
> can be read competently. This drop down is permanent.
>
> In device manager, uninstall the IDE controller for the burner (either IDE
> 1 or 2). Reboot. The controller will be re-detected on startup and
> everything should be back to normal! If you again have problems reading a
> disk the same thing may/will occur.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Scar" <NoBody@home> wrote in message
>> Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
>> Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and
>> CD's x8.
>> All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
>> What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any
>> utilities to do it .
>> I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set
>> up.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestion.
>> Chuck

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:08:30 AM

"Scar" <NoBody@home> wrote in message
> Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
> Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and
> CD's x8.
> All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
> What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any
> utilities to do it .
> I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set
> up.
>
> Thanks for any suggestion.
> Chuck

What exactly do you want to test? I don't have the Roxio software now but it
did used to check the speed it could safely burn at before burning- unless
it had been set to burn at a particular speed.

Have you somehow manually set the burning speed to those rates?
XP has a built in ability to produce disks- how fast does that work at?
!