drive speed

Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and CD's
x8.
All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any utilities
to do it .
I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set up.

Thanks for any suggestion.
Chuck
4 answers Last reply
More about drive speed

    Hi,

    Burning speed is often related to the amount of resources available to the
    system and the extraction rate of the media the files are being copied from.
    For instance, if you are doing a CD to CD copy, the write speed will be
    limited by the extraction rate of the drive that the original disk is in.
    Keep in mind that the extraction rate and the read speed are not the same
    thing. The drive may read at 32x, but extract data at a much lower rate.If
    other programs or processes are running on the system, this will slow it
    down even more to prevent buffer problems.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Scar" <NoBody@home> wrote in message
    > Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
    > Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and
    > CD's x8.
    > All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
    > What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any
    > utilities to do it .
    > I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set
    > up.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestion.
    > Chuck

    Look in device manager at the IDE drive controller that the burner is
    connected to. Is the drive set to run in Ultra DMA or DMA mode or in POI
    mode? DMA is what you want. POI mode is very slow.

    If you put in a defective CD or DVD, one with many read errors, the
    operating system will "drop" the speed down (incrementally) until the disk
    can be read competently. This drop down is permanent.

    In device manager, uninstall the IDE controller for the burner (either IDE 1
    or 2). Reboot. The controller will be re-detected on startup and everything
    should be back to normal! If you again have problems reading a disk the same
    thing may/will occur.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "Scar" <NoBody@home> wrote in message
    > Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
    > Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and
    > CD's x8.
    > All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
    > What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any
    > utilities to do it .
    > I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set
    > up.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestion.
    > Chuck

    Sorry! The above post should reference PIO mode, ***NOT*** POI mode.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    > Look in device manager at the IDE drive controller that the burner is
    > connected to. Is the drive set to run in Ultra DMA or DMA mode or in POI
    > mode? DMA is what you want. POI mode is very slow.
    >
    > If you put in a defective CD or DVD, one with many read errors, the
    > operating system will "drop" the speed down (incrementally) until the disk
    > can be read competently. This drop down is permanent.
    >
    > In device manager, uninstall the IDE controller for the burner (either IDE
    > 1 or 2). Reboot. The controller will be re-detected on startup and
    > everything should be back to normal! If you again have problems reading a
    > disk the same thing may/will occur.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban

    > "Scar" <NoBody@home> wrote in message
    >> Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
    >> Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and
    >> CD's x8.
    >> All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
    >> What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any
    >> utilities to do it .
    >> I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set
    >> up.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestion.
    >> Chuck

    "Scar" <NoBody@home> wrote in message
    > Few days ago I noticed my LG dvd burner (x12) is much slower.
    > Using different brand's disks my max burning speed is x4 for dvd's and
    > CD's x8.
    > All disks are speed rated at least x8 for dvd , and x48 for cd's.
    > What program should I use to test it ? Roxio 7.0 doesn't have any
    > utilities to do it .
    > I did not install any software lately , and didn't changed hardware set
    > up.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestion.
    > Chuck

    What exactly do you want to test? I don't have the Roxio software now but it
    did used to check the speed it could safely burn at before burning- unless
    it had been set to burn at a particular speed.

    Have you somehow manually set the burning speed to those rates?
    XP has a built in ability to produce disks- how fast does that work at?

Windows XP