Sign in with
Your question

Correct LCD Display?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 27, 2006 4:20:30 PM

Hi,

First of all. If this topic should be somewhere else, please move it.

I'm looking to buy a 19"-20" LCD Monitor.

I have my eyes on a 20" Apple HD Cinema Display, or Acer F20.

Are the ones listed above any good for digital imaging. I'll be using Windows XP with Photoshop CS2.

If there are better LCD's please list them.

Thanks

More about : correct lcd display

March 28, 2006 4:49:46 AM

For that $800 on the Apple display, the Dell 2405FPW is one stunning monitor that is good with games too. It is currently $799 at dell online with a 3 year warranty.
Mine has zero dead pixels.
March 28, 2006 11:00:44 AM

But I've heared that the Dell has antialiasing built in. So it's better for text. Wouldnt this make images a bit more blurry(only slight though) compared to the Apple?

Isnt it better to let the OS to do the aliasing?

Thanks

Sky
Related resources
March 30, 2006 4:02:05 AM

XP has a power tool called cleartype, and it tunes/tweaks the clear type screen display to your preference.
I do not know of a hardware AA controlled by the LCD...Did not see a settion for in on the OSD

Here is a site with user comments on the 2405
some good some bad..

http://www.macintouch.com/cinemadisplays10.html
March 30, 2006 6:57:03 AM

Quote:
XP has a power tool called cleartype, and it tunes/tweaks the clear type screen display to your preference.
I do not know of a hardware AA controlled by the LCD...Did not see a settion for in on the OSD

Here is a site with user comments on the 2405
some good some bad..

http://www.macintouch.com/cinemadisplays10.html

How is the 2405 with an external video signal (I.e. TV tuner via s-video)?
Have you tried it?
March 30, 2006 12:09:52 PM

ah yes another chance to convert a heathen. i aint tried photohop with this monitor but it displays pics nicely. im judging that by viewing 1600X1200 pics taken straight off a compact flash meemory card from my camera. they looked great, although my camera skills need a bit of work :)  .

if by AA you actually mean aspect ratio, then yes you can adjust those setting in the OSD. if you actually mean AA then can you link me to where you heard that.

i haven't tried it with a tv signal, but i have used a ps2 with it. i even tried out the pic in pic mode which looks cool but not much use really. unless you are wanting to watch a t.v program at the same time as photoshop in which case it would be useful.

one more thing. if you use alot of portrait photos you can rotate the whole screen 90 degrees. if you then use your gfx card options to rotate windows 90 degrees you can view images without them being squashed or needing to scroll to see them all. i've seen the stands you get with the apples and there pretty poor. you might get better ones but i aint seen them.
March 30, 2006 11:44:15 PM

If you're looking to go LCD (as it looks like you are), just get a model with the best colour rendering and the highest possible resolution. 17-19" models only go up to 1280x1024 but the 20.9"'s can go up to 1600x1200. If I were you, I'd buy 2 17" models and hook both up to a single PC; your toolbars on one monitor and your workspace on the other (If I were rich...).
!