All coasters burning DVD's from .avi/.mpeg's, why?

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Members, I ask for the guidence of your wisdom, or maybe brush a cobweb off or two.

I have been trying to make DVD's for the past 3 weeks and have yet to make even ONE sucessfully. Here are the stats:

Case: Antec 1040B
Cpu: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 333mhz
Mem: Corsair 512 DDR XMS
CDRW: Asus 5224A, 52x24x52
DVDRW: LiteOn 411s
Sound: Audigy Platinum
Media: TDK DVD-R (bout 10 coasters so far)
Every burn states burn process failed or this fun error: 2:52:16 PM #649 CDR -1046 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1620
Illegal disc

2:52:16 PM #650 TRANSFER -24 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1620
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

2:52:16 PM #651 Phase 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 235
Burn process failed at 2x (2,760 KB/s)

I have used TMPGEnc, Nero 6 Ultra, Nero Vision, line by line with the manuals on how to burn DVD's, from files downloaded, such as .avi's or .mpeg's. I don't understand how difficult it can be? Am I just really overlooking something sooo simple or can the LiteOn 411s do EVERYTHING besides burn a DVD?

Can you only make backups and not to utilize the DVD-RW to make DVD's from your system?

I know that the wisdom of the group combined will be able to figure this one out. I am a tech and my roomate is a software engineer....we can't, of course, we have never tried to burn DVD's prior to my getting this either. VCD's are easy, DVD's....no clue.

For those of you who are burning DVD's would respond, I would REALLY be grateful!

Gem

Trying to get there, but seems to be no shortcut!

Does the Lite On 411S have buffer underun protection?

You have plenty of onboard RAM, have you maxed out the amount of shared RAM the burn process can use?

I'm also using Nero 6 Ultra, and Nero Vision, with no burning problems at all, its definitely not the burning software. Have you considered the possibility of having a lemon DVDRW, I'm running an Iomega Super DVD burner, I think I've had 1 coaster in all my burns, but that was my fault not the burners, you really shouldn't be having all these failed burns.

Just out of curiosity have you run Memtest86 to see if you're getting any RAM errors at all, all these burning programs use some system memory, and if theres nothing wrong with the burner, the problem is elsewhere, but I'd run Memtest86 to rule out RAM errors, and if the RAM tests error free, I'd consider seriously looking at the possibility of a bad burner.

<A HREF="http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JOHN+3:16,17&showfn=on&showxref=on&language=english&version=KJV&x=11&y=10" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>><></font color=blue></b></A>

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
4Ryan6,

I have 128mb allocated to just the burning process, no issues there. I tried Alcohol 120 and it works great for burning files already ripped though.
Are you using Nero Vision to enode it then Nero 6 Ultra to burn it? The instructions with Nero Vision are not specific at all, so I am still winging it, unfortunately, it doesn't state which mode to use, nor any of the other settings. I enjoy working with the interactive menu's though....now if I could just burn them, I would be a happy camper. I tried once more and same failure issue, I am burning directly with Nero Vision, is that wrong?
I would really appreciate it if you could give further details on how you are burning them. I have burned about 12 cd's/VCD's since I posted this without a problem and it reads any cd/dvd you put in the drive. I have updated all the firmware and drivers, no issues. I tested the memory like you asked, I used to ask customers to do that all the time, it's valid with no problems.
The part I am getting really confused on is which mode in Vision do you use and in Nero 6 and which one do you use to burn it with? I have been burning directly (trying) with Vision. I thought this was going to be easy, like I stated earlier, I have made too many VCD's to count, this should be a piece o' cake.....can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks all...

Gem

I use quite a few programs actually, Nerovision will encode and burn to disk for you, it appears you're only having problems with AVI and MPEG, then I assume you've actually been able to copy a DVD itself, right or wrong?

Even though it shouldn't have a problem, Nerovision works best when you do your encoding with all AVI files or all MPEG files, it doesn't like it when you mix AVI and MPEG together in a combined encode, the key is to end up with basically a perfect encode, if there is any errors in the completed encode, you'll end up with a coaster every time, I learned that the hard way until I created a folder to keep my completed encodes in, then once they were encoded, it didn't matter if they started as AVI or MPEG, I used Nerovision again, selected the clips I wanted to burn to DVD, and let Nerovision run them through again, which is like second pass encoding, like you did with some of the DivX VCD creating, and then let Nerovision continue on and burn to disk. That worked for me and should work for you, now you may end up with some files Nerovision can't deal with, and you'll either have to repair them if possible, or try another conversion program.

I also use;
Ulead DVD Movie Factory 1 & 2
My DVD
Smartburn Pro
Intervideo DVD Copy
Smartripper
DVD Decrypter

All of these programs have their plus's and minus's and take some experimenting and testing on your part to find out what works and what doesn't, some of the programs I ran through DVD Movie Factory and cleaned them up first, and some I had to ditch or just leave as AVI and MPEG, because they were corrupted and I didn't want to spend the time to repair them, however any file with sentimental value would be worth the time and trouble to repair.

By the way, what OP/SYS are you running, that could be a determining factor, if you're running any of the Win9X, in completing a burn.

<A HREF="http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JOHN+3:16,17&showfn=on&showxref=on&language=english&version=KJV&x=11&y=10" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>><></font color=blue></b></A>

The part I am getting really confused on is which mode in Vision do you use and in Nero 6 and which one do you use to burn it with? I have been burning directly (trying) with Vision. I thought this was going to be easy, like I stated earlier, I have made too many VCD's to count, this should be a piece o' cake.....can anyone point me in the right direction?

In nerovision you select Make DVD, then DVD-Video, and go from there, you don't use Nero Burning Rom itself to burn DVD, you use Nero Vision Express period for the DVD burning.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 03/10/04 09:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Things that could cause a failed burn;
Anti-Virus Auto-Protect running.
Spyware on your machine.
Too many active programs running.
Instant Messaging Active.
Corrupted files you are trying to burn.

Just to name a few!

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Are you using an nForce2 motherboard? If so, try using the In-the-box IDE drivers instead of the SW IDE drivers.

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Mark,

I have the Asus A7N8X-X series, which does have Nforce2 on it. I used the driver set that came with the mobo, Nforce2, should I reinstall them from there again or did I download something else that would have caused that to change?
As far as the IDE drivers, I am running Windows 2000 Pro and have done the Windows updates that have changed the driver on the IDE channels to the latest Windows drivers, which are dated 06-19-2003. Could this be posing a problem? Should I reinstall the original drivers from the NForce2 mobo cd?
Looking forward to hearing back on this subject, I appreciate your understanding on this.

Gem

Getting a file is one thing, making it work is another.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 03/11/04 12:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Ryan,

Thanks for all the information, which conflicts with what I was told by others, but I take your advice on it. I was told to re-encode the files with Vision then burn them with Nero somehow. I have been told not to chose the DVD-Video option, insted to choose the DVD-UDF/ISO, that would explain alot! I never thought to re-encode the file twice, I'll have to try that also.
As far as programs running while encoding or burning, the only one I have running at the time is AVG 7.0 Pro, would that cause it to not encode it properly?

I am also looking at the posiblity of an IDE driver issue, posted by Mark.

Thanks all,

I am checking into all possible solutions to this issue and will get back to you asap.

Thanks again,

Gem

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Okay. I would download the <A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_3.13" target="_new">latest</A> nForce2 drivers, then uninstall your current set. Upon reinstalling the new set, a screen will eventually come up regarding the SW IDE driver installation. Press Next. Then a dialog box will appear asking whether or not to install the SW IDE driver - and simply say no. When selecting no for installing the SW IDE driver, it automatically installs the In-the-box IDE driver (version 3.58).

There are tons of people on the nForcersHQ forum who have had problems with the SW IDE driver and their burners. It might not be the solution to your problem, but I think it's worth a try.

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>

As far as programs running while encoding or burning, the only one I have running at the time is AVG 7.0 Pro, would that cause it to not encode it properly?

If you have the auto protect feature of any virus program running, it could cause a failed burn.
Active spyware will do the same thing, is your machine clean of spyware, if not check out my post in the other section.
And what Operating System are you running???

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Mark,

I appreciate the link to the proper driver for the Nvidia2 mobo IDE drivers. I will install them and hopefully that will correct this very mind numbing issue.
Thank you for giving me the responses and hopefully will if I still have an issue.

Thanks again,

Gem

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Ryan,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro, I have my AVG 7.0 Pro disabled during burning and am using Adaware 6.0 Pro for spy removal. I haven't shut down AVG though, I didn't even think of that.
My other question, I noticed that Vision doesn't make a back up of a DVD to multiple DVD's or compress the files to one DVD, is there one? I have yet to find one that works properly.
I am going to be changing the IDE drivers to find out if this does in fact put my DVD-\+ rw in use insted of a paperweight...after trying to find a program that will actually put the files on more than one DVD-R.
If you have any other ideas, please let me know..I just went through about 4 programs and none of them provided a good burn after the shrink..UGH!! I am giving up on this soon and just going to throw it away.

Thanks,

Gem

Trying to get there, but seems to be no shortcut!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 03/11/04 09:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

<A HREF="http://broadbandnuts.com/drtweak/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=5" target="_new"> Read this spyware article, Ad Aware is not sufficient by itself, to totally remove the spyware, at least make sure your machine is spyware free before you give up.</A>

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Ryan,
I appreciate you supplying the spybot program, I thought Adaware 6.0 Pro did it enough and have been passing it on to other people. I will be sure to tell them about this.
I really don't want to give up, but I just tried again and the programs keep saying, "Insufficient disk space". If you know of a program that will actually put a file on 2 or more DVD's, it would be most helpfull. I have used DVD Shrink, but it has yet to be able to burn and make a working DVD. I will try again soon. I'll let you know and keep checking to hear from the group.

Thank you both Ryan and Mark for helping and look forward to hearing back from you both.

Thank you very much for responding and giving me alot of information. I will respond back either tonight or tomorrow.

Gem

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Ryan,

I have a few questions regarding the 2 other programs you mentioned with a link to the article on spyware and virus removal. I installed the other 2 and both my roomate and myself had to reinstall Win2kp all over again, due to my system not even going to a start prompt, it gave a really funky error reading...basically pointing to about 6 diferent possible solutions. I kept trying to boot and it would go on a non stop cycle of reboots (about 6). I reformatted my OS and fine, then AVG found a few changed objects in the system files (though not on complete test).
I am at the point of wondering if I should go back to basics again before losing some stuff again. I have a dedicated partition to just the OS so it wasn't that bad to reinstall win2kp, just lengthy.
Have you come across any of this yet? I am still wondering what is changing the system files (puzzled).

BTW, needless to say, I have yet to make a good back up or indeed burn the files on my system from downloads, about 46 gigs worth. Is there that much of a trick to burning? Man, I just don't get it...like I stated prior, VCD's are a piece of cake, but DVD's are a completely different ball game.

Any suggestions at this point would be extremely helpfull...this goes out to ALL.

Thanks for helping out and I hope that some others are having the same issues I am, but figured them out.

Gem

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...off to Florida we go!!" :)

Trying to get there, but seems to be no shortcut!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 03/16/04 02:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I have a few questions regarding the 2 other programs you mentioned with a link to the article on spyware and virus removal. I installed the other 2 and both my roomate and myself had to reinstall Win2kp all over again, due to my system not even going to a start prompt, it gave a really funky error reading...basically pointing to about 6 diferent possible solutions. I kept trying to boot and it would go on a non stop cycle of reboots (about 6). I reformatted my OS and fine, then AVG found a few changed objects in the system files (though not on complete test).
I am at the point of wondering if I should go back to basics again before losing some stuff again. I have a dedicated partition to just the OS so it wasn't that bad to reinstall win2kp, just lengthy.
Have you come across any of this yet? I am still wondering what is changing the system files (puzzled).

So you're saying you installed Spybot and Adaware, ran them and destroyed your OP/SYS???
Well I'm dual booting Win2KPro and WinXP Pro, I have both the Spyware removers on the WinXP Pro drive but not the Win2K drive, after I finish posting this I'm going to install Spybot and Adaware on the Win2K drive and see what happens. I've never heard of them damaging a system left on their default settings, as far as WinXP Pro it made the OP/SYS run like a clean fresh install.

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Ryan,

It will be very intersting to see the results after you install all 3 of the programs on the Win2kP boot sector. Both mine and my roomates systems just kept rebooting and that was the last thing we installed previous to having to blow away the HD to do a clean install again.
I asked a tech in BestBuy about burning DVD-R's also and explained the entire situation, he's stumped also. Yet, after all the research I have done and printed out (about 75 pages), I still get the same error as before. I can make VCD's on it (LiteOn 411s), but no DVD's. Of course the instructions are not specific enough to state which format, etc. I know DVD-Video, yet Nero Impression doesn't like it. Every firmware, driver has been installed up to date. The BestBuy tech suggested to exchange it if I can't make a Data DVD, which I am going to try after this post and get back to the group.

Kudos to the group for following this posting (ESPECIALLY RYAN, thanks man! I am so discouraged at this point it's not even funny, more like infuriated...thinking, maybe making working copies of DVD's isn't possible. That's what I have come to, I know it isn't true, but on my end..yeah.

Looking forward to hearing back, again thanks,

Jim (aka..Gem)

Well Gem, I installed all three spyware programs, ran the scans cleaned the system, on the Win2K Pro drive with no problems what so ever, did manual restarts after each installation and scan, and its solid as a rock. I don't know what happened to you guys machines, but it didn't happen to mine, and I just installed the same software. I installed it on mine because if it messed it up, I surely wasn't going to reccommend Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and Spyware Blaster to anyone else running Win2K Pro.
I wish I could tell you what happened, but I can't, I have a friend running WinXP Pro that spyware itself caused him to have to reinstall, but that was before he found out about the spyware removal tools.

BTW, needless to say, I have yet to make a good back up or indeed burn the files on my system from downloads, about 46 gigs worth. Is there that much of a trick to burning? Man, I just don't get it...like I stated prior, VCD's are a piece of cake, but DVD's are a completely different ball game.
You have 46G of downloaded files, Hmmm??? How big is your hardrive or hardrives, and how much freespace do you have/

One problem I ran into with a high volume of files was keeping the drives optimized to handle that much Data, that caused a lot of failed VCD burns for me, until I realized that I needed to defrag before and after each burn, especially when the files have to be converted to another format, or probably in this case Transcoded to DVD, a program like NeroVision creates a temporary file on the hardrive, to do the converting and if all the files are spread all over the hardrive, the hardrive has a terrible time getting all the info together, to convert and restore for burning.

So I found a high speed defrag program to do my defragging and optimizing, because Windows is slow as crap, and defragging is the key to successful burns with that much data on a hardrive.

So what high speed defrag program are you using???

And are you defragging???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 03/16/04 06:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I really don't want to give up, but I just tried again and the programs keep saying, "Insufficient disk space".

Thats not the space on the DVD disk!

Thats the allocated hardrive space to convert the files!

I have a dedicated partition to just the OS so it wasn't that bad to reinstall win2kp,

Is your OP/SYS installed on a partition at least 10Gig with room to convert the files, if not thats your problem, you can create a converting folder out of the OP/SYS partition and be able to do a successful burn.

What size partition is your Win2K Pro OP/SYS on???

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Ryan,

I have 2 Maxtor HD's, 120GB 8MB cache and an 80GB 2MB cache. I have yet to have space issue, along with all the games:NFSU-1.5GB, Midnight Club 2-1.38GB, not to mention all the rest of games and about every burning program out there and of course Office XP...etc. That's just the program to run it, not to mention the installation files I have on here also.
I defrag the system with Windows defrag, I wasn't aware of any other that actually worked fine with Win2kp. Is there another one that I should be using insted? I know that I have to defrag it atleast 2x if not more. I have never had an issue making VCD's...never a failed one (Ever).

GOOD NEWS: The theory of the DVD burner (411s) not working is out the window! I just burned 3 movies onto a 2.7GB TDK DVD-R and can play all 3 on it fine right from the DVD! Looks good, too bad they are only .avi files.
So, here is more food for thought. Any suggestions or am I just doing something really stupid or overlooking? The BestBuy's tech said that if it can burn Data DVD's then it can burn regular DVD's.
Well, atleast I don't have another coaster and can delete 4.3 gig's worth of space on my 1st 120GB HD...YAY!

Looking forward to your response.

Jim

Equal is equal, or is it?

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
I was speaking of "Insufficient Disk Space" when trying to burn the DVD itself, even after DVD shrink (there isn't a science to it yet, for me, due to the instructions state 50% yet the DVD can handle more than that.

My partitions are as follow:

Title Total Size Free Space

C (OS) 9.99GB 4.33GB
D 37.1GB 776MB
E 29.2GB 18.1GB
F 39.0GB 30.6GB
G 36.1GB 13.2GB
H 37.4GB 14.1GB

This is not to mention the virtual drives made with Alcohol 120 and Instant Copy.

Hopefully this will give you alittle more to work with, I'll be on most of the night into the morning with the fun snowstorms going on for the next 3-4 days here.

Jim

Equal is equal, or is it?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 03/16/04 08:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Title Total Size Free Space

C (OS) 9.99GB 4.33GB
I'm pretty sure NeroVision uses the Windows Temp file to do the transcoding unless you assign the transcoding to a folder off the OP/SYS partition, if NeroVision is using the Windows Temp or the freespace on the OP/SYS partition, 4.3Gig freespace is not enough for it to complete its transcode. Whats happening is your freespace on the OP/SYS partition is filling up and you're getting an Insufficient Disk Space error, that didn't happen with the VCD's cause they could only contain 700Mb data, where DVD's contain 4.7Gb, you see what I mean?

If you'll create a folder for transcoded files, on another partition with at least 10G of free space preferably 20G, assign that folder for NeroVision to use, you shouldn't have anymore problems.

I use VoptXP high speed defrag, its some of the best money I've spent on software, it costs $30.00 US I believe, but you can try it free for 30 days, it takes a long time to defrag the first time you use it because it restructures your hardrive and Optimizes your files for fast access, and then each defrag afterwards it optimizes the drive for your most frequently used programs, it will also batch defrag if you have more than one drive which I do and you do to. It works great on any Windows OP/SYS, I've used it on 98SE, ME, 2K Pro, and XP Pro, you can download a 30day free trial <A HREF="http://www.goldenbow.com" target="_new">here</A>Click on the try before you buy.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
I have any encoding with programs going to F, that's 30+GB free, that should be sufficient correct? That's why I don't get why I am still having issue's with encoding them properly and getting them to burn..well, complete burning.

I am going to try VoptXP high speed defrag that you mentioned. The program sounds very intersting and alot more advanced than Windows original defrag.

I will try to burn another DVD after I defrag the partitions and hopefully I will have good news to report. Unless I am doing something wrong in Vision or TMPEG.

Jim

Equal is equal, or is it?