Dell Studio 17 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

drfelip

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006

A 8800M GTS is too expensive and too power-hungry for the vast majority of users. But I agree that most laptops struggle with lastest games.

^Yeah I see your points. I kinda meant it as an "upgrade". Like the base would come with the 3650 or an 8600 or 8700GT and the upgrade would be to the GTS for xxx dollars.

If you think about it, the way Dell does it is really crappy. If you want to have any sort of gaming experience you have to go with the expensive and ugly (IMO) XPS 1730. Otherwise you are stuck with mediocre graphics. I just think there needs to be something in between. Gateway would have had it right if they offered a stronger CPU on the FX-6*** notebook.

ACER ASPIRE 8920, ASUS M70, DELL STUDIO 17 are all solid laptops BUT they really lack from a good GPU, for example ACER ASPIRE 8920 is a solid laptop with very good sound quality, excellent display but it lacks from a good high end GPU

Also logan the XPS M1730 isnt ugly :D u have to see it closely :D

Well, it must change a heck of a lot from pics to close up then, because from pics alone, I think it's pretty ugly (the 1730).

I have to say - I'm a fan of the access panel on these new notebooks. Looks like a really good way to get in and clean out the heatsinks and such.

laptopreviews

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
The default configuration for the Dell Studio 17 is quite weak on the graphics side with an X3100 graphics media accelerator. The upgrade option does no offer much either; though the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 is better than the integrated graphics card option, it is still not powerful enough to satisfy the hard-core gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.