Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

System tray notification icons not showing..

Tags:
  • Security
  • Icons
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 17, 2012 2:53:44 PM

I have been noticing a strange problem with my Win 7 64bit. It does not happen every day, maybe once a week or so.

When I boot up the system and the desktop loads, I noticed that all (6 ) of my security (AVG, ZA, SpyBot etc.) program icons in the system tray notification area (next to the clock) don't load. (Program tray .exe files are not being loaded on start-up) I get the network, power, volume icons but nothing else. I should see 6 icons for my security and other start up programs I have loaded, but they don't show. I have to reboot the system three or four times before the tray icons will show. I also have to do a defrag to fix the problem as well. The system works fine otherwise. The security programs run fine when they are loaded, so they are not the problem.

Like I said, the problem of "missing system tray icons" only happens once a week or so. YES I DO have tray notification set to ON. (That is the first place I looked) So that is not the problem.

I tried logging off and back on as administrator. Did not work.

Here is a copy of the event log when it last happened:
Date: 8/16/2012 6:50:11 PM
Event ID: 9003
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: AVA-385177-1
Description:
The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because a composited theme is not in use
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Desktop Window Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">9003</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-11T22:50:11.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>11767</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>AVA-385177-1</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
Date: 8/16/2012 6:50:10 PM
Event ID: 6000
Description:
The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavailable to handle a notification event.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon" Guid="{DBE9B383-7CF3-4331-91CC-A3CB16A3B538}" EventSourceName="Wlclntfy" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-11T22:50:10.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>11766</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>SessionEnv</Data>
<Binary>D9060000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
Date: 8/16/2012 6:50:10 PM
Event ID: 4101
Description:
Windows license validated.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon" Guid="{DBE9B383-7CF3-4331-91CC-A3CB16A3B538}" EventSourceName="Winlogon" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">4101</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-11T22:50:10.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>11765</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>0x00000000</Data>
<Data>0x00000001</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Date: 8/16/2012 6:50:08 PM
Event ID: 1531
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Description:
The User Profile Service has started successfully.

Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service" Guid="{89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}" />
<EventID>1531</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-11T22:50:08.632026400Z" />
<EventRecordID>11764</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="1224" ThreadID="1348" />
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

Source: Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem
Date: 8/16/2012 6:50:08 PM
Event ID: 4625
Description:
The EventSystem sub system is suppressing duplicate event log entries for a duration of 86400 seconds. The suppression timeout can be controlled by a REG_DWORD value named SuppressDuplicateDuration under the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\EventSystem\EventLog.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem" Guid="{899daace-4868-4295-afcd-9eb8fb497561}" EventSourceName="EventSystem" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">4625</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-11T22:50:08.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>11763</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">86400</Data>
<Data Name="param2">SuppressDuplicateDuration</Data>
<Data Name="param3">Software\Microsoft\EventSystem\EventLog</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thanks for your help.
Scott

More about : system tray notification icons showing

a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2012 3:11:55 PM

To see an icon all the time, it needs to be set to "Show icons and notifications".
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2012 3:15:42 PM

On of those system tray icons when clicked on should show a small window with any other loaded system tray apps. They get group under this item.
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 3:16:26 PM

"YES I DO have tray notification set to "Show icons and notifications" That's not the problem

Scott
m
l
April 3, 2013 4:59:12 AM

Yeah, my notification area freaks out from time to time and its realy annoying. Sometimes i click the expand button and it shows up as a huge white space with only 2 icons in there. I usualy just kill the explorer process and then restart it. Sometimes even that wont fix it.
The rebuild icon cache solution fixed the problem for me.
m
l
May 15, 2014 6:34:20 PM

I know this is an old issue, but I also know nobody has solved this problem, and Microsoft doesn't seem to care anymore.

I am happy to announce that I used a program called WinASO Registry Optimizer and it has solved this problem completely!!! I no longer see any task host window nor blank force shutdown screens! It also seems to have sped up both boot and shutdown times!!!

Also, an added plus (the reason for this thread)...and this is another one that MS doesn't seem to have a permanent cure for...all of my notification icons now load every time!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Finally, I found something that just solved all of these problems at once! It ain't free, but it's worth it if you've been banging your head against the wall for ages now, trying to solve these seemingly incurable and annoying bugs.

Now, why the hell couldn't MS solve these f*cking problems? Apparently, X.M.Y. International L.L.P. is far more advanced than MS!
m
l
October 16, 2014 1:39:53 PM

After working with every fix mentioned anywhere on the internet for recovering missing power, network, and volume icons, I consolidated the ‘repair’ into this procedure…

Either manually edit each of the registry keys below or make a .reg file with EXACTLY the content between the dashed lines and run it
==========================================
Put ALL below in a text file named (for example) “NotificationsFix.reg”
—————————————–
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify]
“PastIconsStream”=-
“IconStreams”=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
“HideSCANetwork”=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
“HideSCAPower”=dword:00000000

“HideSCAVolume”=dword:00000000
—————————————–
The first one deletes two keys that Windows will restore on boot.
The last three tell Windows to NOT hide the icons…the zero value disables hiding.

Restart or reboot after editing/creating the keys, or running the reg file.

Works reliably every time in my Windows 8.1, and I’m sure it will work in Windows 8;
not sure about earlier ones.
m
l
November 21, 2014 5:01:09 PM

network Icon not int the icon trail .
Solution ,
go to the window start button and type System Configuration .Under general enable normal start up . click Ok and apply and restart your computer all icon should reappear
m
l

Best solution

April 20, 2015 9:13:12 AM

try CCleaner software
go to registry > fix all registry issues
go to cleaner > windows > advanced > mark"tray notifications cache" > run cleaner

all of your notifications icon will be back as normal
it worked for me
May 7, 2015 11:56:50 AM

vomacka said:
"YES I DO have tray notification set to "Show icons and notifications" That's not the problem

Scott
I really HATE it when smug, yet ignorant, people provide "answers" to questions that they don't even understand, don't you?

OF COURSE you, like all the millions upon millions of others who also experience this, are not simply suffering from the "I turned my icons off and forget how" syndrome which your supposed "helpers" infer.

The problem is a bug in Windows... or rather, a programming error which assumes certain things about your installation. Basically, there is a "timeout" period during Windows startup... during which items which will have their icons show up here HAVE to start.

This is DUMB-DUMB-DUMB, but it's been part of the WIndows desktop interface since Windows XP. And every version of Windows since then has suffered from this same problem, which Microsoft simply refuses to address and fix.

Why "refuse to address and fix?" Because it's not "bad code," it's PHILOSOPHICAL. They don't want you to have a tray filled with a dozen or so icons. So, they have their "timeout" set up so that it works fine, up to the arbitrary number that they think you OUGHT to have in your tray.

There are other issues, as well. Some parts of the OS which take a lot of time to start, and which consume plenty of resources, can delay other items (which have tray icons). The most familiar part of Windows which can cause this is the uPnP User Interface. Most of the time, shutting this off fixes the problem... but you shouldn't have to turn this off, should you?

Your best bet to fix this is to go into your "services" folder and put as many of the "start automatically" items... those without tray icons... as you can manage (without making things not function of course!) into "delayed start" mode. This way, all the stuff which needs to get into the tray "before the deadline" can do so.

There's a better fix, but it requires you to dig into the registry, and I generally don't recommend that to those who do not know how to (safely) work with their registry. The fix is to change the timeout... by default about 4 seconds... to something quite a bit longer (some people set it to a full minute). THIS is known to fix the problem, permanently... unless something over-writes your registry settings (as some WIndows Updates have been known to do).

Another "permanent fix" involves the replacement of certain OS files with versions which do not have this problem. This was done for Windows XP... and since XP is no longer being updated, this is in effect a "permanent" fix there as well. But for Win7/Win8... these files are regularly replaced by "Windows Updates" so this fix is far from permanent right now.

A fix which works well for some, but not for all, is to clear out the "past icon stream" registry entries. It seems that Windows keeps track of every icon which has ever sat there, not just the current ones, and tries to "set up" each of them at every boot time. (again, DUMB)

http://www.colincochrane.com/post/2007/10/Windows-Vista...

This works if you have a lot of tray icons you've used before but aren't using now. It is, however, almost useless for those who have a lot RIGHT NOW.

The absolute easist solution is this one...
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-itsystem-icons-do-not...

From a Microsoft "Fixit" which purges the old icons AND updates the timing. It seems to work for most users.

But... why in the world does someone at Microsoft's "Windows Shell" team continue to insist on putting this tiny little slice of time for system tray icons to "log in" during the boot process? They KNOW that this is an ongoing headache, so it's either (a) abject laziness, or (b) self-righteous maliciousness.

That the "fixit" team (a separate group at MS) put this out... and then the "shell team" got it pulled... and it only came back out when the public raised a serious stink about it being pulled... tells you everything you need to know.

m
l
July 1, 2015 11:27:58 PM

@CLBrown66

Big thumbs up to you man .. a REAL answer .. sheer music :) 
It's so good to see there are still some people with brains in the software arena.
Good job !
m
l
September 16, 2015 11:56:52 AM

I've tried all of these suggestions without any luck. I'm only missing one tray icon -- the one for Windows Update. It used to tell me when updates were ready to download and install (which is how I have Update set up). That notification disappeared a few weeks ago and I see no way to get it back. The Customize options in the tray don't include the Windows Update icon, and it's not one of the choices in the Turn System Icons Off or On menu. The MS Fixit and the various registry changes suggested here didn't help.

Did Microsoft remove that icon? Are they trying to get me to let Windows automatically install updates?
m
l