2 administrator accounts

I've been using the default administrator account for XP Pro (SP2) and while
mucking about, created a new account that is an administrator as well. Now I
can't delete it, or change it's type or anything. When I try to do so, it
tells me that there has to be another administrator account present for me to
continue but there already is.

thanks

kelly

one is the system default and will be there forever, if you're in that one
you can likely delete the other, or you could just go with the one you
created and disable the welcome screen and fast user switching if you want it
to go right to the desktop and not give you the two accounts to choose from.
you will only see the system admin account in safe mode then.

good luck

"morayeel605" wrote:

> I've been using the default administrator account for XP Pro (SP2) and while
> mucking about, created a new account that is an administrator as well. Now I
> can't delete it, or change it's type or anything. When I try to do so, it
> tells me that there has to be another administrator account present for me to
> continue but there already is.
>
> thanks

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

morayeel605 wrote:

> I've been using the default administrator account for XP Pro (SP2) and while
> mucking about, created a new account that is an administrator as well. Now I
> can't delete it, or change it's type or anything. When I try to do so, it
> tells me that there has to be another administrator account present for me to
> continue but there already is.
>
> thanks

You should not be using the built in Administrator account for day to
day activities. Use the other account with administrator privileges.
Keep the built in account as a fall back to use in case the other
account becomes corrupted.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Rock" wrote:

> morayeel605 wrote:
>
> > I've been using the default administrator account for XP Pro (SP2) and while
> > mucking about, created a new account that is an administrator as well. Now I
> > can't delete it, or change it's type or anything. When I try to do so, it
> > tells me that there has to be another administrator account present for me to
> > continue but there already is.
> >
> > thanks
>
> You should not be using the built in Administrator account for day to
> day activities. Use the other account with administrator privileges.
> Keep the built in account as a fall back to use in case the other
> account becomes corrupted.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

thanks, but here's a new one. I restarted and now appear to have only the
new administrator account available, the old default ( which has all the
settings I prefer ) is nowhere to be seen. Along with it, my pictures and
mp3's are "gone".
how can I recover that profile?

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

morayeel605 wrote:

> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>morayeel605 wrote:
>>

>>>I've been using the default administrator account for XP Pro (SP2) and while
>>>mucking about, created a new account that is an administrator as well. Now I
>>>can't delete it, or change it's type or anything. When I try to do so, it
>>>tells me that there has to be another administrator account present for me to
>>>continue but there already is.
>>>
>>>thanks
>>
>>You should not be using the built in Administrator account for day to
>>day activities. Use the other account with administrator privileges.
>>Keep the built in account as a fall back to use in case the other
>>account becomes corrupted.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>

> thanks, but here's a new one. I restarted and now appear to have only the
> new administrator account available, the old default ( which has all the
> settings I prefer ) is nowhere to be seen. Along with it, my pictures and
> mp3's are "gone".
> how can I recover that profile?

Once another administrator account is created the built in one is hidden
from the login screen. To access it from the welcome screen in XP Pro
do ctrl-al-del twice to bring up the standard login window, then type in
administrator and the password. If you want, Administrator can be shown
on the welcome screen running this edit from Kelly's site, line 5,
"Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen" at

See the top of the page for information on running the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Alias

"morayeel605" <morayeel605@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> morayeel605 wrote:
>>
>> > I've been using the default administrator account for XP Pro (SP2) and
>> > while
>> > mucking about, created a new account that is an administrator as well.
>> > Now I
>> > can't delete it, or change it's type or anything. When I try to do so,
>> > it
>> > tells me that there has to be another administrator account present for
>> > me to
>> > continue but there already is.
>> >
>> > thanks
>>
>> You should not be using the built in Administrator account for day to
>> day activities. Use the other account with administrator privileges.
>> Keep the built in account as a fall back to use in case the other
>> account becomes corrupted.
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>

> thanks, but here's a new one. I restarted and now appear to have only the
> new administrator account available, the old default ( which has all the
> settings I prefer ) is nowhere to be seen. Along with it, my pictures and
> mp3's are "gone".
> how can I recover that profile?

Go into Safe Mode and move the files to your new account.

Alias

"Rock" wrote:

> morayeel605 wrote:

> >>You should not be using the built in Administrator account for day to
> >>day activities. Use the other account with administrator privileges.
> >>Keep the built in account as a fall back to use in case the other
> >>account becomes corrupted.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Rock
> >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >>

> > thanks, but here's a new one. I restarted and now appear to have only the
> > new administrator account available, the old default ( which has all the
> > settings I prefer ) is nowhere to be seen. Along with it, my pictures and
> > mp3's are "gone".
> > how can I recover that profile?
>
> Once another administrator account is created the built in one is hidden
> from the login screen. To access it from the welcome screen in XP Pro
> do ctrl-al-del twice to bring up the standard login window, then type in
> administrator and the password. If you want, Administrator can be shown
> on the welcome screen running this edit from Kelly's site, line 5,
> "Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen" at
>
> See the top of the page for information on running the edit.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

thanks much! that did the trick.