possible fix for 6 second delay/pause when launching docum..

Symptoms:-
double-click on any document associated with an application and
experience 5-6 second delay before the associated application launches.
Right-clicking to display context menu on any of these icons also
causes the same 5-6 second delay before context menu is displayed.

I have experienced this recently and noticed that it only occurs when
the machine is connected in particular network configurations. Posts in
other threads in the microsoft.public reveal (from packet sniffing)
that during the delay, network requests are being sent to machines that
don't exist on the network.

I managed to find this phantom machine being referenced in my registry
under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes in 'shell' keys. On my system there were
multiple offenders. Essentially applications residing on other machines
on my network had installed explorer shell handlers. These references
UNC pathnames that didn't always exist on my network and caused a
timeout when explorer tried to follow them.

I don't know what the cleanest way is of dealing with this (I resorted
to some pretty ugly registry hacking - easier once you know the machine
to look for). The proper way of attacking it is to edit entries in
'File Types' under Explorer 'Folder Options'. However on most systems
there are going to be an awful lot of file types and shell handlers to
check.

I dare say there are other reasons for things like this occurring but
it may be of some use to someone so I thought I'd post.

James

James,

>> I don't know what the cleanest way is of dealing with this

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

FYI, if the user has used the open-with option, you'll need to scan the HKCU
entries as well.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User