Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Athrxusb.sys causing BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
March 11, 2010 1:40:02 AM

I recently upgraded from my evaluation copy of Windows 7 Ultimate to the retail version of Windows 7 Pro. With the evaluation copy I did not have any issues with my SMC EZ-Connect Wireless G (SMCWUSB-G) that I used to connect my desktop to my LAN via a USB port. Since upgrading, I seem to get a BSOD when downloading files via uTorrent 2.0 (it does not happen all of the time, but fairly consistently, and I have yet to put my finger on the exact trigger).

Anyway, I receive the "Driver IRQL not less or equal" blue screen and "athrxusb.sys" is referenced - which upon further review is the driver for my wifi adapter. I have the most up-to-date driver from the SMC website, however the driver date is 7/29/2008 once installed (I ensured I was installing the Win7-64 bit driver). I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, as well as changing USB ports, with no positive results. I have yet to experience the BSOD while casually browsing, or just leaving my computer on for extended periods of time. Oddly enough, I will stream movies from my computer to my Xbox 360, and this will not cause the error. Is it possible that LAN activity wouldn't cause the error, but internet activity could? I would think that if it's a driver issue, then it wouldn't matter as long as it was network activity.

Does anybody have any idea as to what might be causing the hiccup?
April 2, 2010 11:40:17 AM

I have this exact same issue.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
SMCWUSB-G Wireless dongle (part number: 98-012084-552)

I also get the BSOD but only when downloading torrents. I have downloaded MASSIVE games files and full linux ISOs by the hand full and never had this occurr. The BSOD specifically references"athrxusb.sys". After looking on the website I noticed that the 32bit drivers were dated in October of 2009, however when I checked my installed 64bit drivers they were signed 2008. I guess (note, guess) that they only bothered to update the 32bit ones for Windows 7.

Recap:

1. BSOD ONLY occurs when downloading/uploading torrent files.
2. This is occurring with the 64bit drivers.

Me love you long time for some feedback.

EDIT:
Some other sites related to this driver messing up in one way or another:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion/inde...

EDIT 2:
Here is a copy of the error log:

Quote:

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 4/1/2010 9:04:36 AM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: dan-desky
Description:
Fault bucket X64_0xD1_athrxusb!ar5524QosVirtualTxArbiter+101, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1:
P2:
P3:
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\Minidump\040110-15568-01.dmp
C:\Users\dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-52509-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREFD9.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_0a190000

Analysis symbol: X64_0xD1_athrxusb!ar5524QosVirtualTxArbiter+101
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 040110-15568-01
Report Status: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-04-01T13:04:36.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>917</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>dan-desky</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>X64_0xD1_athrxusb!ar5524QosVirtualTxArbiter+101</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>BlueScreen</Data>
<Data>Not available</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
C:\Windows\Minidump\040110-15568-01.dmp
C:\Users\dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-52509-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREFD9.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>
<Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_0a190000</Data>
<Data>X64_0xD1_athrxusb!ar5524QosVirtualTxArbiter+101</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>040110-15568-01</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Score
April 2, 2010 12:29:24 PM

I removed the Windows 7 driver and installed the Windows Vista 64bit driver to see if it fixed the problem. It did not. I was presented with the same BSOD about 10 to 15 minutes after starting up some torrents. This time I went into the log viewer and pulled up the error report.

Quote:

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 4/2/2010 8:20:54 AM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: dan-desky
Description:
Fault bucket X64_0xD1_athrxusb+7af61, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1:
P2:
P3:
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\Minidump\040210-16380-01.dmp
C:\Users\dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-33368-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERAB99.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_0a98db9e

Analysis symbol: X64_0xD1_athrxusb+7af61
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 040210-16380-01
Report Status: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-04-02T12:20:54.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1061</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>dan-desky</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>X64_0xD1_athrxusb+7af61</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>BlueScreen</Data>
<Data>Not available</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
C:\Windows\Minidump\040210-16380-01.dmp
C:\Users\dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-33368-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERAB99.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>
<Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_0a98db9e</Data>
<Data>X64_0xD1_athrxusb+7af61</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>040210-16380-01</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Score
Related resources
April 2, 2010 10:29:09 PM

So after the Vista driver failed I uninstalled it and used the 64bit Windows XP driver found in the same package here:

as per the suggestion found on this forum here:

and so far I have downloaded 8gig of torrents over the span of about 6hours and have yet to be presented with a BSOD. So far so good. The XP driver is no slower than the Vista or Win7 drivers and does not conflict with any other hardware on my system.

At this point I'd say it is too early to determine if this fixed the issue, but so far so good. Will keep posted.
Score
April 3, 2010 2:29:53 AM

I tried using the Vista and XP drivers myself, each time it seemed like it may work, but after extended time running (sometimes as much as 18 hours of torrent activity) - I would finally blue screen. I still have yet to find a solution, and have been looking into potentially just buying a new WIFI stick with a different chip. Let me know how things work out - I appreciate the input.
Score
April 5, 2010 3:42:42 PM

Been a couple of days now and many gigs of torrent activity later (down and up) and still no blue screen. I strongly suggest that if you are experiencing these same errors and are using the same USB dongle (perhaps even if you are using a different one), that you try completely uninstalling your current drivers and going back to the XP ones. Even if they do end up causing the same BSOD somewhere down the line, they are FAR more stable.
Score
April 5, 2010 5:22:39 PM

did you install the driver using a .exe file in windows xp compatibility mode? or just selected the winxp driver and installed it without any consideration for compatibility?
Score
April 5, 2010 6:52:29 PM

I used Device Manager found in Control Panel. Before you do, make sure to download the VISTA package found here:

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=downloads.doSearchCr...

Once again, make sure you get the VISTA one. After I downloaded that, I right clicked on the device and clicked "Uninstall driver." I made sure to click "Delete the drivers." as well. Then I physically removed the device from the USB port and reinserted it. Windows found it and said that it was unable to find the appropriate drivers. I then right clicked on the device and clicked "Update driver." I pointed it to the XP 64bit folder that I extracted from that archive and it installed. I would definitely shy away from any .EXE driver installer.
Score
April 5, 2010 7:24:50 PM

Thanks - final question for you, did you find any reduction in signal reception? It looks like my signal went from full bars to only 3 bars of reception - I'm not overly concerned since I'm not going to be moving my computer around, but I found that odd.

I'll have to test it out and I'll report my results. Thanks.
Score
April 5, 2010 11:15:55 PM

My signal was at about half strength in my room before anyway. I'm somewhat far from the router to begin with. Now its at about 3 to 4 bars, never maximum. Having said that I still get full speed from it and on my FiOS connection I'm downloading at around 1.5mbps, which is the same place it seemed to cap on the other drivers too.
Score
November 25, 2010 4:01:42 AM

Sorry to Necro this, but i had to add my experience as well. I had issues with athrxusb.sys as well, after i installed with the Win XP 64 bit driver it was ZD1211BU.sys driver. i just installed it, and right around now is when it would BSOD on me. So i figure, the device isn't compatible with its drivers above XP. I am using the disk that it came with to install this driver. Seems to have increased my signal strength a whole bar. Just now it went back to 3 bars. Speedtest.net says i've gained a whole 1.5Mbps down and nothing more on the up. I highly recommend this driver over the recommended drivers.
Score
January 10, 2011 4:54:49 PM

Bad news to you all guys as I'm experiencing the same problem on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit using Belgin USB Dongle (wifi adapter). The BSOD happens randomly when browsing, downloading torrents or playing games.
I've got the feeling that it's caused by the windows itself becouse it's not very probable that that 3 diferrent netork adapter manufakturers made exactly the same bad drivers for ther hardware.

1) they could be given the wrong specification to write the drivers for Win7 64
2) there is some ERROR in the MS Windows 7 64 bit kernel
3) the drivers were badly compiled (possible error in MS Visual Studio)

please if somebodz did solve the problem give me info.

Moora
Score
September 26, 2012 1:26:30 PM

"SMC EZ-Connect Wireless G" this device is not x64 architecture compliant. even though they made drivers for it in an x64 architecture the hardware cannot and does not support it. 32 bit only fellas. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There are still devices out there that are incapable of handling x64 OS's, like moora's Belkin USB WiFi adapter, some hardware can only handle a specific signature driver.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2012 8:04:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!