Bringing a computer to Europe

Lukens

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this question since it's my first Post on Tom's Hardware, so sorry if that's the case.

I'm travelling to Holland the 13th this month and I'm planning to ship my computer I built back in July with me, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with adapting the power sources since they use different plugs there in Europe. I'm currently in the USA and my computer has a 850w power supply if that's relevant.

Basically, what will I need to do to use my desktop computer over there without frying it because of the power source differences/plug differences.

Thanks, I appreciate any responses.

G

Voltage in Europe is about 220 or 230AC at 50 cycles. Most desktop power supples will either have a voltage switch on the rear or a label on the side (inside the computer) indicating if they are dual voltage.

If not so, you could easily purchase a new power supply and install it -- especially as you built the computer.

I believe the socket used to connect the power supply to the wall socket is identical at the computer end on US and European power supplies -- just the plug that goes into the wall will be different. So buy a new lead when you get to Europe, or a wall adapter.

You don't mention taking the screen. But similar considerations to above.

Take the keyboard as you may not be able to find a US English keyboard in continental Europe (though a British English keyboard is pretty similar).

I rather wonder if taking a laptop wouldn't be simpler.