Sign in with
Your question

Mouse and Keyboard frozen, help!

Last response: in Windows 7
August 17, 2012 6:09:53 PM

Hello all I have encountered a problem. My computer suddenly froze, well it appeared that it had, it was infact just the Keyboard and Mouse. I turned it off manually and re-booted. Lone behold the Keyboard and mouse still don't work.
This has happened before and I found a fix for it by following some steps to do something like an electrical reset or something where you turn it on and off and hold a button in for a certain amount of time etc, BUT I can't remember how to do it and I cannot for the life of me find the forum where I discovered this fix.
If anybody knows of the fix I'm talking of could they please shed some light for me?!

Thanks alot, afrowise.

More about : mouse keyboard frozen

a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2012 6:27:15 PM

Hi,

What specs?

Is it wireless or wired. Are ps2 or usb plugs.

Could be a mobo problem.

first shut down computer
second unplug and replug the keyboard/mouse
reboot to see if its ok.

If not to power reset: unplug your computer, keyboard an mouse and wait about 10 mins.

if no luck, test with another wired keyboard and mouse.

Good luck
August 17, 2012 6:27:25 PM

afrowise said:
Hello all I have encountered a problem. My computer suddenly froze, well it appeared that it had, it was infact just the Keyboard and Mouse. I turned it off manually and re-booted. Lone behold the Keyboard and mouse still don't work.
This has happened before and I found a fix for it by following some steps to do something like an electrical reset or something where you turn it on and off and hold a button in for a certain amount of time etc, BUT I can't remember how to do it and I cannot for the life of me find the forum where I discovered this fix.
If anybody knows of the fix I'm talking of could they please shed some light for me?!

Thanks alot, afrowise.

I think you are referring to a CMOS reset. Check in your motherboard/literature to see where the CMOS jumper/switch is. Shut down the computer, jumper/switch this connection for a few seconds, then put it back the way it was, and CMOS is reset.

Also, for just a Keyboard and Mouse, usually you can get them to work again by just unplugging the keyboard/mouse for a few seconds, then replugging them back in while in windows, if the devices are USB.
Related resources
August 17, 2012 6:48:41 PM

Maxx_Power said:
I think you are referring to a CMOS reset. Check in your motherboard/literature to see where the CMOS jumper/switch is. Shut down the computer, jumper/switch this connection for a few seconds, then put it back the way it was, and CMOS is reset.

Also, for just a Keyboard and Mouse, usually you can get them to work again by just unplugging the keyboard/mouse for a few seconds, then replugging them back in while in windows, if the devices are USB.

This fic I'm talking of didn't require messing with the motherboard or any other internal components, it was simply to do with the power button and maybe the reset button, I just can't find it anywhere. The internet is so large! haha
August 17, 2012 6:53:51 PM

afrowise said:
This fic I'm talking of didn't require messing with the motherboard or any other internal components, it was simply to do with the power button and maybe the reset button, I just can't find it anywhere. The internet is so large! haha

The power button of the computer ? You can always hold the power button for a few seconds, and the computer will force shut off. If you press it once, it will issue a shut down command. If the computer isn't truly frozen, it will shut down as requested. If it is, you can hold the power button for a few seconds until it shuts off.

Are you saying you have trouble finding the power/reset buttons ?
August 17, 2012 6:55:38 PM

Maxx_Power said:
The power button of the computer ? You can always hold the power button for a few seconds, and the computer will force shut off. If you press it once, it will issue a shut down command. If the computer isn't truly frozen, it will shut down as requested. If it is, you can hold the power button for a few seconds until it shuts off.

Are you saying you have trouble finding the power/reset buttons ?

-.- I'm saying that the FIX i used previously only required a specific sequence and length of time pressing each the power button and reset button to do some sort of reset, I want to find this fix again.
August 17, 2012 7:01:27 PM

afrowise said:
-.- I'm saying that the FIX i used previously only required a specific sequence and length of time pressing each the power button and reset button to do some sort of reset, I want to find this fix again.

Sounded like to me it is a special combination to do a CMOS/NVRAM clear. What is the machine ? Do you still have the manual ?
August 17, 2012 7:12:38 PM

It's one i had custom made many years ago, I'm sure someone on here will know the commands I'm talking about
!