Huckle

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2004
Ok here's the deal. My raptor drive (360) isn't very friendly. It insist on short hangups most of the time when it's supposed to be loading.
Starting up programs, using the scroll wheel on the mouse... games are hopeless, I can't even watch the intro movie without hangups, even less use animated menus.

Every time it hangs up, first there's a sharp klick, like the one when you shut it off, an accelleration whine, and then just a general loading-brr. One of these cycles take about four or five seconds, during which I can't do anything.

If there's several in a row, you can control the mouse for maybe half a second.

So, what might be the problem? Too little power? Overheating? I'd be glad for any tips or ideas.

I've changed power cords, from sata to molex, the sata cable, ports on the mainboard, and in general everything else I can think of. Scandisc doesn't help at all, and the checkup program I got from WD finds no errors.

However, lately when I boot XP it wants to check disks for inconsequence errors (or somewhat).

System:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Amd xp+2500
512 (2x256 mb paired) twinmos 400 mhz memory
ATI Radeon 9800SE 128

Windows XP professional SP1

300 W PSU
No active cooling on HDD

I'm crying blood here, can't do anything that takes more power than mirc without hanguos. Please? ;)

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I would say power supply, but this would normally cause the whole computer to crash. If you happen to have another power supply around the house try using that, it cant hurt to check. I have no idea what else it could be.

[Insert witty comment here]

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Had the same problem with a faulty video card actually. It upset the HDD's when the card failed. Might wanna look into that option as well.

Xeon

<font color=orange>Scratch Here To Reveal Prize</font color=orange>

TRENDING THREADS