Remote Assistance Failed Please Try Again

June 20, 2005 10:42:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I looked up this problem on Google Groups but could not find a resolution.

I am a computer technician by trade and use to use Windows XP Pro's Remote
Assistance quite a bit to help my customers with problems. For the last few
months, I keep getting this error message after I receive a Remote
Assistance Invitation through e-mail and click on Yes to connect to the
customer's computer...

Remote Assistance -- Web Page Dialog
Remote Assistance failed. Please try again.

Now I have opened the invitation with Notepad and corrected the IP address
which some do have the wrong IP address due to the customer's router. That
doesn't work either.

My suspicion is that a Windows Update file has corrupted my Remote
Assistance. I have no idea which one since there are like 30+ updates
installed on my computer. Removing them may cause problems.

Might anyone know what update messes up Remote Assistance? I tried
reinstalling SP2 but that didn't fix the problem. I would hate to try to do
a maintenance install just to have the same problem again after getting an
update.

Thanks In Advance,
BTJustice
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:42:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I would start with sfc /scannow if you suspect file corruption. As far as I
know, no recent update specifically targets anything in remote assistance,
though it's possible one of them replaced a system file that is used by it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Buford T. Justice" <???@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I looked up this problem on Google Groups but could not find a resolution.
>
> I am a computer technician by trade and use to use Windows XP Pro's Remote
> Assistance quite a bit to help my customers with problems. For the last
> few months, I keep getting this error message after I receive a Remote
> Assistance Invitation through e-mail and click on Yes to connect to the
> customer's computer...
>
> Remote Assistance -- Web Page Dialog
> Remote Assistance failed. Please try again.
>
> Now I have opened the invitation with Notepad and corrected the IP address
> which some do have the wrong IP address due to the customer's router.
> That doesn't work either.
>
> My suspicion is that a Windows Update file has corrupted my Remote
> Assistance. I have no idea which one since there are like 30+ updates
> installed on my computer. Removing them may cause problems.
>
> Might anyone know what update messes up Remote Assistance? I tried
> reinstalling SP2 but that didn't fix the problem. I would hate to try to
> do a maintenance install just to have the same problem again after getting
> an update.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
> BTJustice

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:16:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Most of the other posts in this thread I didn't type though my name is on
them just proves to me that any idiot can make an ass out of himself on a
public, unmoderated newsgroup. I hope the e-mail I sent to the newsgroup
abuse e-mail address in his message headers gets this guy turned off.

BTJustice

"Buford T. Justice" <???@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I looked up this problem on Google Groups but could not find a resolution.
>
> I am a computer technician by trade and use to use Windows XP Pro's Remote
> Assistance quite a bit to help my customers with problems. For the last
> few months, I keep getting this error message after I receive a Remote
> Assistance Invitation through e-mail and click on Yes to connect to the
> customer's computer...
>
> Remote Assistance -- Web Page Dialog
> Remote Assistance failed. Please try again.
>
> Now I have opened the invitation with Notepad and corrected the IP address
> which some do have the wrong IP address due to the customer's router.
> That doesn't work either.
>
> My suspicion is that a Windows Update file has corrupted my Remote
> Assistance. I have no idea which one since there are like 30+ updates
> installed on my computer. Removing them may cause problems.
>
> Might anyone know what update messes up Remote Assistance? I tried
> reinstalling SP2 but that didn't fix the problem. I would hate to try to
> do a maintenance install just to have the same problem again after getting
> an update.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
> BTJustice

June 20, 2005 4:30:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Buford T. Justice, <???@verizon.net>, the microbial, torturesome fat
embolism, and seller of ale, billowed:

> I am a computer technician by trade

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

--
Thou vanity in years. Thou musty, scruffy untutord lad.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Buford T. Justice, <???@verizon.net>, the torturous, distant rodent, and
employee who makes brooms from bundles of birch twigs, guffawed:

--
Thou nonproductive gadfly. Thou sunless unmanner'd slave.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I didn’t type this post. One of your users is abusing his newsgroup access
privileges. Below is the full message header and fake message...

From: "Buford T. Justice" <???@v3r1z0n.n3t>

Newsgroups:
alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Subject: Re: Remote Assistance Failed Please Try Again

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:30:30 +0545

"Buford T. Justice" <???@v3r1z0n.n3t> wrote in message

> Buford T. Justice, <???@verizon.net>, the torturous, distant rodent,

> and employee who makes brooms from bundles of birch twigs, guffawed:

> > I like to check myself out naked in the mirror. Do you?

> --

> Thou nonproductive gadfly. Thou sunless unmanner'd slave.

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:51:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Buford T. Justice, <???@verizon.net>, the pottle-deep, girlish arseball, and
officer of the parish whose principle duty is to keep order, intoned:

--
Thou gallows bird. Thou rat without a tail.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Buford T. Justice, <???@verizon.net>, the cheerless, bloated toad, and
robber who preys on public roads, articulated:

--
Thou fish. Thou horse-drench.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

SP2 is probably the problem itself.
"Buford T. Justice" <???@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I looked up this problem on Google Groups but could not find a resolution.
>
> I am a computer technician by trade and use to use Windows XP Pro's Remote
> Assistance quite a bit to help my customers with problems. For the last
few
> months, I keep getting this error message after I receive a Remote
> Assistance Invitation through e-mail and click on Yes to connect to the
> customer's computer...
>
> Remote Assistance -- Web Page Dialog
> Remote Assistance failed. Please try again.
>
> Now I have opened the invitation with Notepad and corrected the IP address
> which some do have the wrong IP address due to the customer's router.
That
> doesn't work either.
>
> My suspicion is that a Windows Update file has corrupted my Remote
> Assistance. I have no idea which one since there are like 30+ updates
> installed on my computer. Removing them may cause problems.
>
> Might anyone know what update messes up Remote Assistance? I tried
> reinstalling SP2 but that didn't fix the problem. I would hate to try to
do
> a maintenance install just to have the same problem again after getting an
> update.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
> BTJustice

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:49:13 PM

"Gene Abner" <geneabner@texoma.net> wrote in message
news:D asj9e027qd@enews4.newsguy.com...
> SP2 is probably the problem itself.
> "Buford T. Justice" <???@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I looked up this problem on Google Groups but could not find a
>> resolution.
>>
>> I am a computer technician by trade and use to use Windows XP Pro's
>> Remote
>> Assistance quite a bit to help my customers with problems. For the last
> few
>> months, I keep getting this error message after I receive a Remote
>> Assistance Invitation through e-mail and click on Yes to connect to the
>> customer's computer...
>>
>> Remote Assistance -- Web Page Dialog
>> Remote Assistance failed. Please try again.
>>
>> Now I have opened the invitation with Notepad and corrected the IP
>> address
>> which some do have the wrong IP address due to the customer's router.
> That
>> doesn't work either.
>>
>> My suspicion is that a Windows Update file has corrupted my Remote
>> Assistance. I have no idea which one since there are like 30+ updates
>> installed on my computer. Removing them may cause problems.
>>
>> Might anyone know what update messes up Remote Assistance? I tried
>> reinstalling SP2 but that didn't fix the problem. I would hate to try to
> do
>> a maintenance install just to have the same problem again after getting
>> an
>> update.
>>
>> Thanks In Advance,
>> BTJustice

I`m glad your not my computer technician. I thought techs knew about these
things <grins>.
Your best bet is to go to MS knowledge base and put your question there.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.mspx
best wishes..OJ
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 7:17:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

So you prefer your computer technician to know everything (which is
impossible)? If a computer technician didn't research a little, that
computer technician may make a big mistake which could lose all the files on
the customer's computer he is working on. That's bad for business. Heck,
there are different kinds of computer technicians and there are different
kind of doctors and lawyers.

BTJustice

news:D VtAe.20914$bh1.11474@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...

!