I have a Compaq nx9100 with loose power jack which causes intermittent shutdown of the machine. I did not want to strip the machine and resolder the power jack fitting to motherboard, so made a patch cord with inline socket to fit the DC plug from the AC adapter. The patch cord connects the terminals in the battery compartment (battery charge terminals) to the output of the AC adapter. This would not work with battery out, but works OK with battery fitted - although battery charge monitoring does not seem to work, so I reset power management to never shutdown.
A 10min workaround for a problem which takes 3-4hrs to fix properly. But...
When I measured voltage across the battery terminals with AC adapter plugged in conventionally (when I could get it to work) I got 14.5V. My patch cord bodge applies 18.5V DC to the battery. Anyone know if this is a major problem? I used the laptop for a couple of hours, it did not seem to run hotter than usual.
tlc3cables is very happy to announce the introduction of a new adaptor for the r3000 expansion port problem. The adaptor is vastly improved in both quality and stability, superior to some other DIY connections that have the propensity to pull out easily. Come visit our website and watch the newest youtube video of this product and check out our eBay feedback. Money back guarantee if it does not work for your particular laptop.