How to make my portable drive accessible to my account onl..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hello
How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
domain.
4 answers Last reply
More about make portable drive accessible account
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:

    > Hello
    > How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at
    > my work and home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2
    > computer is in a domain.
    Hi,

    A friend of mine have tested a free product called TrueCrypt to encrypt
    data on USB sticks, and he was very satisfied. It should work fine for
    a portable drive as well.

    TrueCrypt
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    <quote>
    Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003

    Main Features:
    * It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
    as a real disk.
    * It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
    USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.

    </quote>

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    W2k and later can "share" EFS encryption. If you use NTFS on
    the drive and set it at the top to use encryption (setting a folder
    this way will only affect files saved later).
    You would then need to export the EFS cert and key from one
    account on one machine and add it into the other account on the
    other machine.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    --

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
    > home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
    > domain.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    To add to Torgeir Bakken.

    There are many programs of this class: BestCrypt, PGP Desktop (namely,
    its part -- PGPdisk), ScramDisk, DriveCrypt, Extra Drive Pro, etc. But
    most of them require (no problems at home -- but there may be the
    problems at work) to be installed by the user with administrative
    rights.

    It your drive is NTFS one -- you can set the rights to it so only two
    users (one -- at home, and the other -- at work) could access it; but
    that can't prevent the Administrator of any system to become the owner
    of this drive, and change the rights after that.
    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:

    >Hello
    >How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
    >home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
    >domain.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thanks
    "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    > To add to Torgeir Bakken.
    >
    > There are many programs of this class: BestCrypt, PGP Desktop (namely,
    > its part -- PGPdisk), ScramDisk, DriveCrypt, Extra Drive Pro, etc. But
    > most of them require (no problems at home -- but there may be the
    > problems at work) to be installed by the user with administrative
    > rights.
    >
    > It your drive is NTFS one -- you can set the rights to it so only two
    > users (one -- at home, and the other -- at work) could access it; but
    > that can't prevent the Administrator of any system to become the owner
    > of this drive, and change the rights after that.
    > --
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > ======
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:59:14 +0400, "Dmitry Kopnichev"
    > <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello
    >>How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
    >>home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
    >>domain.

Windows XP Security Microsoft