How to make my portable drive accessible to my account onl..

a b 8 Security
June 20, 2005 4:59:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hello
How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
domain.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 20, 2005 4:59:15 PM

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:

> Hello
> How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at
> my work and home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2
> computer is in a domain.
Hi,

A friend of mine have tested a free product called TrueCrypt to encrypt
data on USB sticks, and he was very satisfied. It should work fine for
a portable drive as well.

TrueCrypt
http://www.truecrypt.org/

<quote>
Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003

Main Features:
* It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
as a real disk.
* It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.

</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
a b 8 Security
June 20, 2005 4:59:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

W2k and later can "share" EFS encryption. If you use NTFS on
the drive and set it at the top to use encryption (setting a folder
this way will only affect files saved later).
You would then need to export the EFS cert and key from one
account on one machine and add it into the other account on the
other machine.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

--

"Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
news:o DXsWZXdFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hello
> How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
> home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
> domain.
a b 8 Security
June 20, 2005 10:19:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

To add to Torgeir Bakken.

There are many programs of this class: BestCrypt, PGP Desktop (namely,
its part -- PGPdisk), ScramDisk, DriveCrypt, Extra Drive Pro, etc. But
most of them require (no problems at home -- but there may be the
problems at work) to be installed by the user with administrative
rights.

It your drive is NTFS one -- you can set the rights to it so only two
users (one -- at home, and the other -- at work) could access it; but
that can't prevent the Administrator of any system to become the owner
of this drive, and change the rights after that.
--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
<kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:

>Hello
>How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
>home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
>domain.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 27, 2005 5:46:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks

!