What is the best laptop brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt2012

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I'm just curious to hear what some of you people think is the best company to buy laptops from. Not so much for gaming, just everyday use.

I like Dell's XPS line - good relatively thin and light computers (for the 1530 and 1330), and reasonably powerful, while having some of the best customer support around.

For regular needs, I would go with an HP dv6700t. My favorite series for the college goer, and better performing than Dell's offerings at sub $1000 levels.
Anything above $1k I would go for a gateway or a Sager - I prefer sager, though, considering I own one :)

I think I like Dell better than HP, but I've had more experience with Dell so.....

I agree with the Sager though :D

matthroswell

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
My last high end dell turned into a $2700 dollar paperweight which I salvaged for parts on ebay. Half of the ram went bad, immediately followed by the power connector on the motherboard failing. This was a month out of warranty and their outsourced tech support was more than willing to waste my time. I will never buy another one of their products, and gladly pay more for equal performance from almost any other brand. I now buy sub $500 dollar laptops... use them a year, sell them for 350, do the math on how much that saves you over losing 1500 a year in depreciation to play cutting edge games at a mediocre at best speed. Toshiba, Hp/Compaq/Sony, anything cheap and play good games that are a few years old if you HAVE to game on your laptop.

vikas797

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
hi if you need a skin for laptop go here http://www.i3displays.com apex magazine rack, Colossus Mega Banner,flex banner stand,retractable banner stands in fontana ca,birthday flex banners,laptop imprint,Poseidon Curved,Laptop Imprint,how to imprint on laptop,laptop banners,banner laptop,32 inch retractable banner stand,flex banner signs,banner stands california, banners curved retractable,apollo exhibit booths,fixed banner signs,display stands+california,apex popup displays,banner displays california,banner stand in ca,california banner stand,curved banner stand,exhibits booths california,california laptop brand, examples of flex banner signs,pop up promotional banners,display exhibits southern california,banner case,flex x banner stand,flex banner,fabric banner pop up displays,full laptop skins,laptop displays stands,color lap top,flex banner,california displays,exhibit magazine racks,lap top skins,banner stand hard case,flex banners,cheap retractable banner,displays online,cheap laptop skins

aboss94

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Matthrowsgood, is completely right. for even $1,500 you can build an absolutely sick gaming computer that will blow doughnuts around a "gaming laptop" all day. Its common sense a laptop is designed to just be a temporary escape from a desktop when you need the internet or ms office. Anyone who invests over$1,000 in a laptop is wasting there money on something that will either drop and break, get stolen or god knows what. Just get a laptop for the basics then let a desktop fulfill all of your gaming needs. Not to mention who wants to stare at a 17" screen all day...I have a samsung 23" ;)

Going back to the orginal thread though the best brands hands down are ASUS, Lenovo, and Sony in that order. My advice though is to buy an hp laptop on sale at $699 and put the extra money into an extended warranty. Because no matter how good a laptop brand is the components are not immortal. This way after the year with each manufacture is up your still riding on 3 or 4 and sometimes they are even nice enough to let you reinvest the money! Thats what you should be looking for.

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Well, depends on what you need it for. For Travel / College / Business use, one can't go wrong with IBM / Lenovo Thinkpad T Series.

If you just want a PC in a notebook form factor, well yeah, you can get just about anything else.

[EDIT: spelling]

cruz_82

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

I agree 100%. I purchased a dell desktop for close to $3000. The DVD drive never worked despite multiple calls to the unhelpful IT dept. One of the hard drives failed shortly after the warrenty expired...how convenient. I myself will never purchase another thing from Dell. I get a discount on Dell through my employer, but I still refuse to waste my money. Save yourself the hassle. I owned a compaq persario...this computer has been with me for over 3 years and still runs great. I have never even had to call IT for this computer.

triplesixes

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I am just curious; How much money do rival companies of Dell pay people to come on these sites like this and cut down Dell computers? I have read time and time again where people have had all these problems or all that problems with their Dell computer, and I have to say that I am a bit surprised. There just can't possibly be anyone out there that is being legitimate with one of these stories about so many multiple problems with their Dell computers. Unless of course, they are running over their computers with cars and trucks and then wanting to return them! Is that the case perhaps, and perhaps Dell Corp is just a bit too smart for you guys? Maybe too smart to let you pull the liars' wool over their eyes? Hmmmmm?? could this be the real truth??

The reason that I say this is that I have bought many Dell computers. I have bought Dell desktops and countless Dell laptops. And I have not one time, in these 12 to 13 years of purchasing Dell products, had any of thse very aweful experiences that I keep reading about. In fact, I have a Dell laptop And desktop evena s we speak that I purchased at the same time, about 5 years ago, and both of them still look and work as though they were just bought. They are awesome. And I still have them. Also, I have bought several Dell laptops even after those, one that I still have, and it works exquisitely awesome. It is decked outy with all the amenities that could possibly come in a laptop. It is the Dell Inspiron 1520. I also had a Dell Inspiron E1505 that, very sorrowly, I ended upselling due to buying a new and different brand of laptop and wanted to make a big payment on it. But that laptop worked and looked flawlessly as well. I had it for just over a year before I decided sadly to sell it. And OMG do I miss that laptop at times. Selling it felt like I was getting rid of a beloved computer family. And Dell Customer and Tech Support? Well, let me just say that I have Never in my life done such good and professional business with any other Customer Support and Tech team as Dell.. I find them to be compassionate, patient, understanding, and willing to go above and beyond all expectations in order to assist customers. Why I have even called once to see if I could get some little round rubber/foam guards that had been placed on the lid of my laptop in order to make sure it didnt wobble or grate against the bottom of the laptop when closed. One of them had fallen off, and, well, I am the type of person that likes to have any and all parts to his gadgets, right down to the screws. But I just knew that getting these replacement little foam rubber things were impossible. I actually thought I was being dumb to even try. But shockingly and to my surprise, the Customer Service person that dealt with me totally understood. It was the exact day that my warranty was expiring. But he said that he would get them sent out to me right away, and asked me if I needed anything else. I had asked him could he also send the little rubber things that were on the bottom of my laptopa s well, just so i would have them. he said sure thing. The very next day, they arrived. He had sent me out quite a few little replacement foamy tabs and bottom ones too. I have to say that i was extremely shocked that I got these replaced, especially it being the very last day of my warranty. So there can't anyone tell me or convince me that Dell Custom,er Support and Tech Support is this difficult to deal with as these and other stories claim they are. I am sticking to Dell, and also to Fujitsu, from whom I bought my last laptop from. They are awesome too. So to sum this up, I highly recommend Dell and Fujitsu laptops. They are the best in my book. And to these people that tell these seemingly false horror stories about Dell and their purchases; People, quit doing this for other companies. The money just isn't worth trying to ruin a great and respectable company such as Dell. Besides, Dell's rep speaks for itself, and your little bs stories are getting nowhere to us Dell purchasers that know the truth. Thanks for listening!!!

triplesixes, your argument is nill. In the same fashion that we could all be bashing Dell as HP employees, so equally could you be giving Dell a thumbs-up as a Dell employee.

We're just all saying in our experiences ______ is the best company.

This thread is a year old anyway.

The reason you see so many negative remarks compared to glowing reviews is that for whatever reason, an irate person is more likely to tell someone about the awful experience that they've had then a happy person is to tell about a good experience. It just works that way.

I personally, like Dell. I've owned several systems, both laptops and desktops and even a TV or two. I recommend them to people here on a decent basis. I am also currently using an XPS 710 chasis (great case design btw).

And sometimes I need to ask the question: who is worse, the people doing the complaining or the people complaining about the complainers?

Ozz0690

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I would just like to say that I do ot bash one company over the other. I prefer to research using actual people who own varous brands. Between my friends and I we have Toshiba, Dell, HP, Sony, and Lenovo. Since 2006 out of those brands my Toshiba has never had to be sent in for repairs, or any other issue. It has been working flawlessly since purchase. The HP laptops have all had massive video failures. I had to replace the LCD screen on one of them, and the other has to be sent back to HP. The Sony has recently had an LCD failure. The Dell has been replaced three times, and only the Lenovo has an issue that is easy to repair without spending $100's of dollars. So based on real life owners I know that the Toshiba laptops are the best ones for me.

BMFX

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I know i typically go through 1 or 2 laptops a year. I am a gamer, but that being said i do get test a lot of different laptops. I've used a lot of dells, and truth be told i have had some terrible experience. I've used many different levels of product from entry to high end gaming and business.

If i recommend any laptop it'd be a macbook or a macbook pro. For a few different reasons. First off they get you off Microsoft if you are an extreme hater. But if you need windows just install xp. Macbooks are some of the most well built / powerful laptops I've used. Not to mention the new pro's have a 9600 for gaming.

The other major value to a macbook is they HOLD their value. If you decide you want to upgrade say after 2 years of use, than you can sell it and get a much higher return than off any hp, dell etc.

If not a mac go hp. i have used 4 or 5 of them and never have had any issues.

paok

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

im a rocket scientest I can make rockets and I have a lot of cute japanese girl friend wa ha ha !!!! yeah!!! yaparii!!!!

BMFX

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Frozenlead. While yes it's not the 9800 in the new ASUS, It's still looking at the over all picture. Plus when you think about it, how much is that HP laptop or Dell laptop that has a 9600 in it going to be worth 2 years down the road. Odds are your going to lose 1/3 - 1/2 the value.

With a mac resale you lose at MAX 1/5 the value. Plus the qualities better, as well as the support. Not to mention not alot of laptops use DDR3 like the mac does. Nor do alot of UNDER 2k laptops use a 2.5ghz or 2.4ghz processor.

I'll agree with you on the resale value - macs do tend to retain that.

However, the rest of the arguments aren't that great..

Qualities better? Dell, HP, Apple - all their notebooks are built by the same company (Quanta Computer). Since I've been at the University here (well known for fixing everyone's computing troubles) I've seen just as many macs as PCs on my dresser or desk getting repaired. Often the Mac troubles are more dire - graphics card is dead, fans died, case is bent and won't close anymore, optical drive dead... whereas the PCs are simpler things..slow software config, malfunctioning hard disk, power adapter died...

Edit: But stuff breaks. It always will. That's not a good arguement, either.

DDR3? It provides very little performance advantage over DDR2. The increase from a 9600 to a 9800 (or another GPU upgrade) brings far more performance to the table (in games, and more and more GPGPU applications). The performance delta isn't worth the price you pay for it. One can hardly say they bought a notebook simply because it uses DDR3. Memory capacity is far more important.

Under $2k notebooks using 2.4/5GHz CPUs? That's just incorrect. If you take a look at HP's entertainment lineup...most of them are under $1k and offer options for >=2.4GHz CPUs. Even the "everyday computing" line does. The same is for Dell's Inspirion line (as well as the XPS, of course). I'm willing to bet other manufacturers have the same (Gateway, Asus, etc.)

Just the other day someone asked me how to hook their computer to their TV...I gave him an s-video cable and a headphone-component cable. He came back saying it didn't work...only to find out he had a mac. Non-standard ports? Yes. His friend brought a Dell (he probably payed 3x less for) and it worked just fine.

Apple computers are nice. Some people think they're pretty (I don't) and some people like OS X (I don't). They are highly resellable, also, as you mentioned. Other than that, though (and the pretty argument isn't for a person with half a brain or more) a sufficient PC is superior to a Mac in both hardware and price (Software also, depending on your needs/wants/what you have available, but that arguement doesn't belong here).

trulore

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
After that long of a post, I now suspect that YOU work for Dell.

I'm an engineer who works for a company making GPS devices, so I have no false loyalties to any particular computer maker. However, I have used many dozens of computers over the past several years, and I am quite convinced that the quality of Dell computers has gone downhill.

Yes, Dell has a fantastic name built on reasonably priced and highly RELIABLE computers. That was true up until roughly three years ago when Dell had pretty much peaked in market share, and the only way to squeeze out more and more profit for the shareholders was to cut costs at the company. They outsouced their customer service, and they switched to cheaper vendors for their parts and assemblies.

I used to never see Dell computers fail, but these days I've seen a roughly 30% failure rate on all Dell computers in just the first year of use. That failure rate is consistent across several models of laptops and desktop that we use at my company.

I have been told by other engineers that some of the high-end Dell systems, like their gaming PC's, are still reasonably reliable because they have no choice but to use high quality parts for those systems. That may be true. But the poor customer service is also true, and that applies across all tiers of Dell systems.

If you are unlucky enough to be one of those 30% with a broken computer, be prepared to waste the next 3 weeks of your life.

I have personally witnessed several NIGHTMARE stories of friends of mine having to deal with Dell customer service. I would post them, but they are so awful that you surely wouldn't believe me. I don't blame you, because I wouldn't have believed these stories either had I not witnessed them with my own eyes.

I only mentioned Dell once...I don't know where you gathered that I was a Dell worker (which, I assure you, I am not). Anyway, why would I have a Sager if I worked for Dell? I would almost assuredly get a discount on one of the 1700 series. Why spend so much on another computer?

Anyway, my arguement was made for Mac vs. PC. I think you're missing the point.

trulore

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Sorry, I'm new to this forum, and I clicked on "reply to" another message WAY up high, and somehow this forum software just tacked my message onto the end of the list, and not under the message I was replying to. (??) This is no slashdot. :)

Newbie error.

Status
Not open for further replies.