projectors a good alternative to flat screens?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
imagine playing HL2 on a 8 foot screen
for less than a 30" lcd
but would the resolution be to noticable?

hear me now, believe me later, trust me in between
i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Well it might be cool and pretty good quality but you need a lot of focal length to get an 8 foot screen filled. I'm assuming you mean a front projector pointing to a wall or screen because to my knowledge 8' rear projection tvs aren't common.
Also, good quality projectors are not so inexpensive. The ones with the lumens (projectors light intensity) you need and the resolution and connectivity needed may be up in the 5 to 7 thousand dollar range although I haven't checked lately.
Lastly, the bulbs on these things are expensive and don't have a very long life relative to other display technology.
It might be cool to see but I don't know.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i see em for like 2-3 thousand
a lot cheaper than a plasma
of even 1/4 the size

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
That's not bad.
- 8' screen fill means that the projector would have to be about 6-10 feet of more from the screen (maybe more)
- This requires some funky wiring and maybe ceiling mount
- I would suspect that 2-3 thousand lumens would be optimal
- I agree an 8' plasma would be very expensive (20K?)
Still need to know that for 2-3 K you are getting:
- pc connectivity (analog, DVI, HDMI,...)?
- desired resolution?
- preferred aspect ratio?
- good bulb life? (continuous hours of operation)
Other costs to add in:
- need a large room
- mounting
- wiring
- quality 8' screen <A HREF="http://www.focusedtechnology.com/cinemacontour.html" target="_new">This one is about $1000.00 for 8 foot</A>
- RF wireless if you don't already have it

Even so the costs may not be so cheap overall:
$2000.00 (Projector- using your lowest number)
$1000.00 (screen)
$ 200.00 (additional cost - very conservative since room isn't in the mix)
now we are up to $3200.00
not so cheap anymore. You may be able to get a nice plasma or LDC for that without all the space required

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
02/24/05 09:23 AM
Re: projectors a good alternative to flat screens? [re: arnold873]

That's not bad.
- 8' screen fill means that the projector would have to be about 6-10 feet of more from the screen (maybe more)
- This requires some funky wiring and maybe ceiling mount
- I would suspect that 2-3 thousand lumens would be optimal
- I agree an 8' plasma would be very expensive (20K?)
Still need to know that for 2-3 K you are getting:
- pc connectivity (analog, DVI, HDMI,...)?
- desired resolution?
- preferred aspect ratio?
- good bulb life? (continuous hours of operation)
Other costs to add in:
- need a large room
- mounting
- wiring
- quality 8' screen This one is about $1000.00 for 8 foot
- RF wireless if you don't already have it

Even so the costs may not be so cheap overall:
$2000.00 (Projector- using your lowest number)
$1000.00 (screen)
$ 200.00 (additional cost - very conservative since room isn't in the mix)
now we are up to $3200.00
not so cheap anymore. You may be able to get a nice plasma or LDC for that without all the space required

true but no 8 foot screen

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I agree with the last reply that they are to expensive. That is if you plan on getting one that will do what I think that you expect for it to. I spent 4 months looking at different Projectors and the cheapest one that I found that did a semi good job was over $2500.00 I just bought a 37" Plsama that has PC capability and its super.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
i see em for like 2-3 thousand
a lot cheaper than a plasma
of even 1/4 the size
Those figures arent inline with what I just bought one for. I didnt pay much over $2000.00 for my 37" Plasma and its been rated very high.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I just noticed the 8' screen part. Have you seen what the projectors in the price range that you are talking about look like? Its not very good IMO. Two problems occur. First the bigger you make the viewing area, the worse the pic gets. Second, the distance that you sit from the pic has a huge effect on how good it looks. That means that you have to get close and that is no good. You really better make sure that you see the actual one that you want in action. Also you will want to see the difference in the pic in a light room or a dark one.

Projectors also produce the Rainbow effect for some people. It depends on how sensitve your eyes are to this effect. The only way you can know is to actually see it.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
I agree with the last reply that they are to expensive. That is if you plan on getting one that will do what I think that you expect for it to. I spent 4 months looking at different Projectors and the cheapest one that I found that did a semi good job was over $2500.00 I just bought a 37" Plsama that has PC capability and its super.

37" plasma for computers?
hows the resolution?
how much was it?
i was thinking of going this way once they ironed the kinks out and prices fell

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Re: projectors a good alternative to flat screens? [re: arnold873]

I just noticed the 8' screen part. Have you seen what the projectors in the price range that you are talking about look like? Its not very good IMO. Two problems occur. First the bigger you make the viewing area, the worse the pic gets. Second, the distance that you sit from the pic has a huge effect on how good it looks. That means that you have to get close and that is no good. You really better make sure that you see the actual one that you want in action. Also you will want to see the difference in the pic in a light room or a dark one.

Projectors also produce the Rainbow effect for some people. It depends on how sensitve your eyes are to this effect. The only way you can know is to actually see it.

no i guess i have to start looking
but hopefully plasma prices will continue to drop

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Everyone is different in how their eyes react to the negative effects. Mine are super sensitive which is not a good thing because it limits the number of units that I can tolerate. The flip side to this is that I can pick out the best and worst sets easier than most. You can get a plasma now that will do the job for between $2200. and $3500.00 High Def has some advantages, but is of course more expensive. Ask me some specifics and I will be happy to answer them

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
[Everyone is different in how their eyes react to the negative effects. Mine are super sensitive which is not a good thing because it limits the number of units that I can tolerate. The flip side to this is that I can pick out the best and worst sets easier than most. You can get a plasma now that will do the job for between $2200. and $3500.00 High Def has some advantages, but is of course more expensive. Ask me some specifics and I will be happy to answer them]

i feel plasma still has limitations, such as price
others i`m not to sure about such as resolution
and if it shadows such as lcd`s
i`m not too sure if they are ideal for pc use
i guess the same could be said about projectors

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
There are not any shadow problems with the one I have, no gosting or rainbow effect. Resolution is great and this one doesnt have the problems with displaying blacks like the LCD does. As for price, they are priced much better than a projector that could even come close to comparing with it.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
There are certainly many factors involved in this analysis. The surface has been scratched on a few of them in the thread above. Regardless of available space or budget, it seems to me that at the heart of a Home Theater/Entertainment center is the final product or what is displayed (and heard - but that almost deserves another thread on its own) to the viewer.
As the number of seperate and possibly unmatched components used to attain the desired effect increases the chance that they will work seemlessly is reduced. It also requires a lot more work and the analysis of a ton more individual pieces by the consummer to get it just right. So there are hidden costs.
There aren't many places to go and view many combinations of projectors and screens and input signals and wires and resolutions to help the buyer make their decision. It is much easier to find single components to view like Plasma, LCD, DLP, etc. units.
The one clear advantage (not considering cost) to the projector solution is the large home theater. A place where you may entertain 5-10 peeps at a time. A good quality projector/screen combination will allow large scale, very high resolution images to be viewed by that many folks. Other display solutions cannot compete without introducing orders of magnitude in cost (mostly cost of manufacturing such a footprint).
From my simple analysis it looks like the type of projector that would be needed to rival plasma visual quality (not considering sound at all) would start in the $5,000.00 range. <A HREF="http://www.projectorcentral.com/recommended-home-theater-projectors.htm" target="_new">See This</A>
Have a look. You may be willing to go with lower stats on the projector. However, from all that I have read (here) it seem that to compete with Plasma quality in displays up about 50" diagonal you would have to spend a lot more for the projected solution. However, if an 8' (96") display is your goal then the plasma is way too expensive at least from what I can tell so far.
cheers!!

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i usually see projectors for 800-2000 with some as much as 4-5k that seems much cheaper than plasmas that go for 3-4k starting for a small one. as far as picture quality not too many places have them set up so its hard to say.

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
well done

i have seen projectors for as little as like 800
but who knows they are probably garbage and certain logists such as room brightness are probably a nightmare. it just seems that plasmas lcds and other non projector technology is just too expensive and unpolished right now to warrant a purchase. i made the mistake of buying a hd tv (rear projector type) and i didn`t realize the thing wasn`t 720p capable only 480p and 1080i which gives me a problem some times with certain broadcasts. this is not to say that projectors wouldn`t have the same problem, but for a 8` screen for as little as 800 seems to be a bargain even the link you submitted the top rated sanyo model plv-wf10 i found for half the list price on cnet 7,299 instead of over 14k
now where you going to find a really decent plasma of even half the size 4` for less than 7,299. i know i know sound is an issue for around what 5k you can get a system rivaling anything they have in theaters.
adcom amp and preamps 2k and b&w speakers like around 3-4k

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

RichPLS

Champion
Projector bulbs are quite expensive and have relatively short lives.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
is that the same for a rear projection tv or the backlight to an lcd?

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

RichPLS

Champion
I haven't bought one for a TV, but the Sony projector bulbs can cost close to $400

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
No, only some new DLP (Digital Light Processing) TVs have user replacable bulbs. They are designed to last longer than projector bulbs (10-15 thousand hours - rather than 4-6 thousand somtimes less) although they seem to cost about the same.
Typically light sources in rear projection TVs are not replaceable but they are designed to last very long (maybe 30K hours or more. LCD backlights are not replaceable to my knowledge but also last very long.