DELL Dimension 8300- why special ram?

z3ro

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I currently ordering DELL Dimension 8300 and it only has 256mb (2x128mb) PC3200. I believe they are dual channel too. I want to add more 1gb (2x512mb) to the extra slots.

My request here is to get advices from experts here.
I did so many research about Kingston, Crucial and some others. DELL Dimension 8300 seems to use different type of rams or something because I checked the compatibility and the results came out with special product # specially for the DELL Dimension 8300.

Kingston tech support told me that I can't use the HyperX modules as they are meant to be overclocked or something...

So, why can't I use normal rams and have to get special rams? Now I want to buy rams from some websites and I'm afraid that it won't be compatible.

Another thing, I was looking at OCZ rams but it has the HeatSpreader and I was thinking that it's the same quality as Kingston HyperX which I'm told I can't use. Is it true?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by z3ro on 03/12/04 01:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Thats why you shouldnt buy some dell in the first place...
The reason they dont make it standard is probly only to limit your upgrading possibilities. I once had a compaq with the 4 slots filled with memory and on top of that they where welded directly on the motherboard, so there was 0 upgrade possibility.

IF your going to buy some ram make sure its listed in either kingston or corsair compatibility list otherwise it might not work.

OCZ is top notch like HyperX, if youve been told kingston wont work, chances are OCZ wont work..