XP Home Repair SP2/SP1 confusion

Hi All,

I have XP Home edition with SP2 installed, but an SP1 CD.
I recently had to perform a repair install from the CD after the system
refused to start (following the help from another PC).
The system now boots, but is very slow and just doesn't seem right.

Checking the software version, I now have XP with SP1, but when I try to
reapply SP2 the system tells me it has already been applied so won't reload
it.
My installation logs reflect the pre-repair situation, and I seem to have
created some SP1/SP2 hybrid.

Microsoft Update is telling me that I need to download a number of SP1
patches.
Can I tell the system it is SP1 and then reload SP2? Or am I looking at a
complete reinstall from scratch to get things straightened out?

Any advice apprecaited.
--
Robin
5 answers Last reply

    It looks like your installation has corrupted as you maybe didn't format
    first.
    What you need to do is to slipstream your SP1 Installation CD with SP2,
    either from the CD or the full download available here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    A good programme to slipstream these is called "Autostreamer" and is simple
    to use, then all you need is Nero or similar to burn the slipstreamed CD.

    Autostreamer is available here:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t223562.html
    Then use that CD and do the slow format of your HD before installing.
    I trust you have backed up all your important stuff.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have XP Home edition with SP2 installed, but an SP1 CD.
    > I recently had to perform a repair install from the CD after the system
    > refused to start (following the help from another PC).
    > The system now boots, but is very slow and just doesn't seem right.
    >
    > Checking the software version, I now have XP with SP1, but when I try to
    > reapply SP2 the system tells me it has already been applied so won't
    > reload
    > it.
    > My installation logs reflect the pre-repair situation, and I seem to have
    > created some SP1/SP2 hybrid.
    >
    > Microsoft Update is telling me that I need to download a number of SP1
    > patches.
    > Can I tell the system it is SP1 and then reload SP2? Or am I looking at a
    > complete reinstall from scratch to get things straightened out?
    >
    > Any advice apprecaited.
    > --
    > Robin

    Get AutoStreamer and update your installation media to SP2.
    Then redo a "Repair" install. If you have provision to make a
    System Image, I would do so before continuing.
    Doing a down-level Repair is going to remove any higher level
    Service Packs and Windows Updates, so I would say your
    current setup is at SP1.
    If you are reluctant to Slipstream your install media, then boot
    to Safe Mode and apply SP2 in that mode. However, I would
    still take an Image of the System as an extra precaution.

    "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have XP Home edition with SP2 installed, but an SP1 CD.
    > I recently had to perform a repair install from the CD after the system
    > refused to start (following the help from another PC).
    > The system now boots, but is very slow and just doesn't seem right.
    >
    > Checking the software version, I now have XP with SP1, but when I try to
    > reapply SP2 the system tells me it has already been applied so won't
    > reload
    > it.
    > My installation logs reflect the pre-repair situation, and I seem to have
    > created some SP1/SP2 hybrid.
    >
    > Microsoft Update is telling me that I need to download a number of SP1
    > patches.
    > Can I tell the system it is SP1 and then reload SP2? Or am I looking at a
    > complete reinstall from scratch to get things straightened out?
    >
    > Any advice apprecaited.
    > --
    > Robin

    The SP 2 CD states that this is complete whereas when I formatted my drive
    and reinstalled XP home I had problems with SP 2. Later after a fresh
    install, I installed SP 1 first then SP 2. It worked very smoothly. When I
    downloaded the Critical Updates I got all of the 16 updates but update KB
    896422 fialed to insatll.
    Is this update already included in the Service Packs or is there another
    problem.
    Please advise.

    farid,

    Download the update from here :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9CC719AD-5E57-4AEF-9FB3-9F7AB7BB5D32&displaylang=en
    Save it, do not install it. Close IE and then install it.
    If it still will not install then check the KB896422.log found in the
    WINDOWS directory for any installation failure error codes.
    To view the log you may have to show hidden files and folders :
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

    Then post the issue and the error code(s) to the Windows Update
    newsgroup : news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

    MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    farid wrote:

    > The SP 2 CD states that this is complete whereas when I formatted my drive
    > and reinstalled XP home I had problems with SP 2. Later after a fresh
    > install, I installed SP 1 first then SP 2. It worked very smoothly. When I
    > downloaded the Critical Updates I got all of the 16 updates but update KB
    > 896422 fialed to insatll.
    > Is this update already included in the Service Packs or is there another
    > problem.
    > Please advise.

    Thanks for that - do I take it you ultimately recommend a full
    format/reinstall rather than another repair attempt?
    --
    Robin

    "Peter" wrote:

    > It looks like your installation has corrupted as you maybe didn't format
    > first.
    > What you need to do is to slipstream your SP1 Installation CD with SP2,
    > either from the CD or the full download available here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
    >
    > A good programme to slipstream these is called "Autostreamer" and is simple
    > to use, then all you need is Nero or similar to burn the slipstreamed CD.
    >
    > Autostreamer is available here:
    > http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t223562.html
    > Then use that CD and do the slow format of your HD before installing.
    > I trust you have backed up all your important stuff.
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb RAM
    > "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I have XP Home edition with SP2 installed, but an SP1 CD.
    > > I recently had to perform a repair install from the CD after the system
    > > refused to start (following the help from another PC).
    > > The system now boots, but is very slow and just doesn't seem right.
    > >
    > > Checking the software version, I now have XP with SP1, but when I try to
    > > reapply SP2 the system tells me it has already been applied so won't
    > > reload
    > > it.
    > > My installation logs reflect the pre-repair situation, and I seem to have
    > > created some SP1/SP2 hybrid.
    > >
    > > Microsoft Update is telling me that I need to download a number of SP1
    > > patches.
    > > Can I tell the system it is SP1 and then reload SP2? Or am I looking at a
    > > complete reinstall from scratch to get things straightened out?
    > >
    > > Any advice apprecaited.
    > > --
    > > Robin

Windows XP CD-Rom Microsoft