Can todays drive burn tomorrows Dual Layer DVD?

9Nails

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
It's a simple question that I thought about since Plextor announced a 12X DVD burner.

I don't have a DVD burner. But I would like one for saving personal VHS tapes to (Wedding video, kids, etc...) And maybe some other home duties.

There is some rumors that Dual Layer media is coming out in Q2 '04. While I probably won't need it at first, I was wondering if a drive such as the Plextor PX-712SA could be made to burn to dual-layer DVD media? Or would that drive become obsolete?

Dual Layer DVD burning, will require dual burning capable DVD burners, which is a new breed of burner altogether, not whats presently on the market.

<A HREF="http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JOHN+3:16,17&showfn=on&showxref=on&language=english&version=KJV&x=11&y=10" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>><></font color=blue></b></A>

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
There are rumors that some drives may recieve unofficial firmware upgrades to allow dual layer burning (ie LiteOn 812S@832S) in the future. But I wouldn't count on it.
Even if dual layer drives will be coming out soon the media for it will be extremely expensive to start with. Plus I'm betting the media compatibility will be really bad on set top DVD players.
I won't be investing in a dual layer until all the "bugs" have been worked out. I'm guessing that will be about 1.5-2 years away.

<A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83441" target="_new">My Comprehensive LiteOn tools guide</A></b>

9Nails

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
I think I've seen quotes of $4.50 - $5.00 per blank media.

So, yes. It's expensive. But is your wedding video worth $5.00? Perhaps :) Is your kids baby video's worth $5.00 - well, that's also subjective... But the point is that I wouldn't be transfering every one of my video tapes from magetic media to DVD - just the few important ones.

It' snice to hear that some companies are forward thinking and a firmware update might support the media. Interesting!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pioneer did a demo of dual layer burning on a drive that's at least several months old now, using upgraded firmware.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Pioneer did a demo of dual layer burning on a drive that's at least several months old now, using upgraded firmware.

Neato, but I suspect most manufacturers would rather you buy a completely new drive. Unless someone does a homebrew firmware hack, I doubt we'll see many drives like this.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I've heard that from other guys, everyone questioning whether Pioneer will offer such firmware or force a drive upgrade.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>