Hi:

I was looking for something in my "Programs" and I saw "ODBC" which had a
shortcut to ODBCADM in C:/WINDOWS

It's only 7k (which seems small) but it's properties say it is a "Microsoft
ODBC Administrator." Is this for real or did someone slip in a program
that will do something nasty to me or others if I "click" it?

EMWTK

The ODBC Administrator is used by some applications where Databases are being
used (SQL is a good example). It's supposed to be there and is a part of
Windows. You don't have to worry about a possible spyware attack ;-)

--
- Matt

"King George John" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I was looking for something in my "Programs" and I saw "ODBC" which had a
> shortcut to ODBCADM in C:/WINDOWS
>
> It's only 7k (which seems small) but it's properties say it is a "Microsoft
> ODBC Administrator." Is this for real or did someone slip in a program
> that will do something nasty to me or others if I "click" it?
>
> EMWTK

ODBCAD32.exe = Microsoft Data Access - ODBC (Open Database Connectivity )
Administrator

ODBCADM.exe is a 16 bit version, apparently part of Microsoft Access.

ODBCADM.exe is *not* a Windows XP file.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23jJ%23UUadFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
King George John <gilmer@crosslink.net> hunted and pecked:
> Hi:
>
> I was looking for something in my "Programs" and I saw "ODBC" which had a
> shortcut to ODBCADM in C:/WINDOWS
>
> It's only 7k (which seems small) but it's properties say it is a
> "Microsoft ODBC Administrator." Is this for real or did someone slip
> in a program that will do something nasty to me or others if I "click" it?
>
> EMWTK

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:56:28 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"

>ODBCAD32.exe = Microsoft Data Access - ODBC (Open Database Connectivity )
>Administrator
>
>ODBCADM.exe is a 16 bit version, apparently part of Microsoft Access.

>ODBCADM.exe is *not* a Windows XP file.

....but is a part of MS Access, and therefore OK as far as that goes.

The point being:
- any file can be named anything
- and file can contain any arbitrary contents
- generic Win32PE code infectiong viruses can infect anything

Now there are moves to limit the above risks (NTFS permissions, System
File Protection, blah blah blah), but when it coes to "is it malware?"
they should be kept in mind.

So if you have reason to suspect something (e.g. av reports infection
there) then chase; if no reason other than "what is this file I
found?" curiosity, then fine.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Never turn your back on an installer program

- any file can be named anything

Indeed, Chris, indeed.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:aimjb1tlvnvinnuo2n8hscag0jciusud85@4ax.com,
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> hunted and
pecked:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:56:28 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
>
>> ODBCAD32.exe = Microsoft Data Access - ODBC (Open Database Connectivity )
>> Administrator
>>
>> ODBCADM.exe is a 16 bit version, apparently part of Microsoft Access.
>
>> ODBCADM.exe is *not* a Windows XP file.
>
> ...but is a part of MS Access, and therefore OK as far as that goes.
>
> The point being:
> - any file can be named anything
> - and file can contain any arbitrary contents
> - generic Win32PE code infectiong viruses can infect anything
>
> Now there are moves to limit the above risks (NTFS permissions, System
> File Protection, blah blah blah), but when it coes to "is it malware?"
> they should be kept in mind.
>
> So if you have reason to suspect something (e.g. av reports infection
> there) then chase; if no reason other than "what is this file I
> found?" curiosity, then fine.
>

>> --------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
> Never turn your back on an installer program
>> --------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

> ...but is a part of MS Access, and therefore OK as far as that goes.

Well, WTF is "Access?" I have a student verion of M$ Office so could
Access be a part of that?

> The point being:
> - any file can be named anything
> - and file can contain any arbitrary contents
> - generic Win32PE code infectiong viruses can infect anything

Obviously. I mentioned that the questioned file was only 7k in size.

This seems a little on the "small" size for an M$ product.

No. At least not Office 2003.

Student version of Office 2003 includes:
Word
Excel
PowerPoint
Outlook

http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=f4bdb504-c05e-4aa6-8fd4-e4e4cccd1174&type=ovr

Office programs also install in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office not in
C:\WINDOWS.

Try this...

Locate ODBCADM.exe where you said you found it before, in C:\WINDOWS.

Right click ODBCADM.exe, Select Properties and click the Version tab.

Click a category on the left to display the information on the right.

Other version information
Item Name:
Company
File Version
Internal Name
Language
Original File Name
Product Name
Product Version

Does it say Microsoft any where?
© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.?
Microsoft Corporation?
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System?

You can copy and paste any of that info into a message if you like and post
back.

Better yet, delete the SOB if it doesn't have Microsoft plastered all over
it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23V84Pt3dFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
King George John <gilmer@crosslink.net> hunted and pecked:
>> ...but is a part of MS Access, and therefore OK as far as that goes.
>
> Well, WTF is "Access?" I have a student verion of M$ Office so could
> Access be a part of that?
>

>> The point being:
>> - any file can be named anything
>> - and file can contain any arbitrary contents
>> - generic Win32PE code infectiong viruses can infect anything
>
> Obviously. I mentioned that the questioned file was only 7k in size.
>
> This seems a little on the "small" size for an M$ product.

..

> Try this...
>
> Locate ODBCADM.exe where you said you found it before, in C:\WINDOWS.
>
> Right click ODBCADM.exe, Select Properties and click the Version tab.
>
> Click a category on the left to display the information on the right.

Oh, I did that before I posted. I note that the copyright data are
1990-94.

It definitely says Micro$oft (without the "$") but I would think that ANYONE
can say that.

It has a file date in 1994.

Anyway, ASSuming it's "good" WTF is it good for? Why was it there? (I
guess back in 1994 M$ was still writing "tight" code so the 7k size doesn't
scare me as much as it did.)

EWMTK

> Other version information
> Item Name:
> Company
> File Version
> Internal Name
> Language
> Original File Name
> Product Name
> Product Version
>
> Does it say Microsoft any where?
> © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.?
> Microsoft Corporation?
> Microsoft® Windows® Operating System?
>
> You can copy and paste any of that info into a message if you like and
> post
> back.
>
> Better yet, delete the SOB if it doesn't have Microsoft plastered all over
> it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23V84Pt3dFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> King George John <gilmer@crosslink.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> ...but is a part of MS Access, and therefore OK as far as that goes.
>>
>> Well, WTF is "Access?" I have a student verion of M$ Office so could
>> Access be a part of that?
>>

>>> The point being:
>>> - any file can be named anything
>>> - and file can contain any arbitrary contents
>>> - generic Win32PE code infectiong viruses can infect anything
>>
>> Obviously. I mentioned that the questioned file was only 7k in size.
>>
>> This seems a little on the "small" size for an M$ product.

Beats me.

Microsoft ODBC FULFILLMENT KIT (Desktop Driver Pack 2.0)
File Name File Size Date Version Number
ODBCADM.EXE 6496 11-17-94 5:00p 2.00.1510

Microsoft UPSIZING Tools
File Name File Size Date Version Number
ODBCADM.EXE 6496 06-13-94 12:00a 2.00.1510

Microsoft Access 2.0
File Name File Size Date Version Number
ODBCADM.EXE 6496 04-05-94 3:00a 1.05.0916

Microsoft Access 1.1
File Name File Size Date Version Number
ODBCADM.EXE 6496 05-26-93 12:00a 1.01.2920

Microsoft Access 1.0 (3.5 in floppy release dated 1-4-93)
File Name File Size Date Version Number
ODBCADM.EXE 9136 01-04-93 12:00a 1.00.2101

Microsoft Access 1.0
File Name File Size Date Version Number
ODBCADM.EXE 9136 10-25-92 12:00a 1.00.2101

From
List of ODBC Drivers Installed by Product
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q140548/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%231YKL7BeFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
King George John <gilmer@crosslink.net> hunted and pecked:
> .
>>
>> Try this...
>>
>> Locate ODBCADM.exe where you said you found it before, in C:\WINDOWS.
>>
>> Right click ODBCADM.exe, Select Properties and click the Version tab.
>>
>> Click a category on the left to display the information on the right.
>
> Oh, I did that before I posted. I note that the copyright data are
> 1990-94.
>
> It definitely says Micro$oft (without the "$") but I would think that
> ANYONE can say that.
>
> It has a file date in 1994.
>
> Anyway, ASSuming it's "good" WTF is it good for? Why was it there? (I
> guess back in 1994 M$ was still writing "tight" code so the 7k size
> doesn't scare me as much as it did.)
>
> EWMTK
>>
>> Other version information
>> Item Name:
>> Company
>> File Version
>> Internal Name
>> Language
>> Original File Name
>> Product Name
>> Product Version
>>
>> Does it say Microsoft any where?
>> © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.?
>> Microsoft Corporation?
>> Microsoft® Windows® Operating System?
>>
>> You can copy and paste any of that info into a message if you like and
>> post
>> back.
>>
>> Better yet, delete the SOB if it doesn't have Microsoft plastered all
>> over it.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23V84Pt3dFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> King George John <gilmer@crosslink.net> hunted and pecked:
>>>
>>> Well, WTF is "Access?" I have a student verion of M$ Office so could
>>> Access be a part of that?

>>> Obviously. I mentioned that the questioned file was only 7k in size.
>>>
>>> This seems a little on the "small" size for an M$ product.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:38:12 -0400, "King George John"

>> ...but is a part of MS Access, and therefore OK as far as that goes.

>Well, WTF is "Access?" I have a student verion of M$ Office so could
>Access be a part of that?

It depends. ACCESS was the database query language used in PICK,
which is almost certain to be irrevant here <g> MS Access is MS's
database component of MS Office, but is only found in some editions,
starting from Pro and going up to Premium and Enterprise. MS Office
Basic, Standard, SmartSuite and MS WorkSuite don't contain Access.

However, some Access files may be present from importers etc. as might
be part of MS Excel that's a part of all MS Office editions.

Finally, Windows may have some inbuilt database filters etc.

>> The point being:
>> - any file can be named anything
>> - and file can contain any arbitrary contents
>> - generic Win32PE code infectiong viruses can infect anything
>
>Obviously. I mentioned that the questioned file was only 7k in size.
>
>This seems a little on the "small" size for an M$ product.

MSware may have small files (though lots of them) :)

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!