"Want to" increase the number of simultaneous downloads.

Hi:

Presently, when I download (using "Save Target As") it only permits me to
actively download only two files at a time.

Is there a way to increase this? What are the drawbacks of increasing
this limit (if it can be done?"

Thanks

(BTW: I have XP)

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=282402

S.

S. wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=282402
>
> S.

Interesting article.

"To comply with current Internet standards (Request for Comments 2068),
Internet Explorer limits the number of simultaneous downloads to two
downloads, plus one queued download."

I've read RFC 2068 and it says nothing about simultaneous downloads that
I can find.

Steve

> "King George John" wrote:
>

>>Hi:
>>
>>Presently, when I download (using "Save Target As") it only permits me to
>>actively download only two files at a time.
>>
>>Is there a way to increase this? What are the drawbacks of increasing
>>this limit (if it can be done?"
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>(BTW: I have XP)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:22:24 -0400, "King George John"
<gilmer@crosslink.net> wrote:

|What are the drawbacks of increasing
|this limit (if it can be done?"
None with cable(RR)-I set it to max & often have 5
going at once.
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Hi

Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:

Line 55 - right hand side

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"King George John" <gilmer@crosslink.net> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Presently, when I download (using "Save Target As") it only permits me to
> actively download only two files at a time.
>
> Is there a way to increase this? What are the drawbacks of increasing
> this limit (if it can be done?"
>
> Thanks
>
> (BTW: I have XP)

> Line 55 - right hand side

OK, this is the meat:

WshShell.RegWrite
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server",10,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\MaxConnectionsPerServer",10,"REG_DWORD"

1) Why "twice"
2) Why the "variations?"

EMWTK

The script "looks safe" so I might just create a "restore point" and run it.
I can always "go back."

Thanks,

jlg

That's because you are thieving other's connections. That means you are a thief. You are preventing others from using the internet and making web sites pay larger licensing fees.

David Candy wrote:

> That's because you are thieving other's connections. That means you
> are a thief. You are preventing others from using the internet and
> making web sites pay larger licensing fees.

How do you figure downloading from different sites simultaneoously is
being a theif? I could see your point if a download accellerator was
making simultaneous connetions to the same server but that isn't what's
being discussed.

Steve

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:25:04 +1000, "David Candy" <.>
wrote:

|That's because you are thieving other's connections. That means you are a thief. You are preventing others from using the internet and making web sites pay larger licensing fees.
1-thieving? Try stealing.
2- Stealing implies ownership. If I took over ur
connection, maybe that would be stealing.
3- U assume some1 else can use other connections.
Obviously u missed my post:
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: speeding up downloading and uploading
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 02:10:07 GMT
4- I never paid 4 hosting. I wont lose any sleep that
IBM or Chase has to pay more. Under ur reasoning , we
better ban 500M Chinese from Net!!
5-I would try to give others benefit of doubt or ask 4
more details & tone down fiery rhetoric. Especially
when interacting with persons whose background u know
nothing about.

Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

It is what is being discussed. You can have 2 connections to a host. You can have as many connections as you want but only 2 to any particular host.

If a server has a 500 connection linit then 250 people can use it. The thief has 5 and if everyone did that then only 100 people could connect with any other person recieving the Too Many Users error message.

David Candy wrote:

> It is what is being discussed. You can have 2 connections to a host.
> You can have as many connections as you want but only 2 to any
> particular host.
>
> If a server has a 500 connection linit then 250 people can use it.
> The thief has 5 and if everyone did that then only 100 people could
> connect with any other person recieving the Too Many Users error
> message.

I understand that, but the MS article says that it is limited to 2
simultaneous downloads, period. It doesn't say per server.

Steve

Steve N. wrote:

> David Candy wrote:
>
>> It is what is being discussed. You can have 2 connections to a host.
>> You can have as many connections as you want but only 2 to any
>> particular host.
>>
>> If a server has a 500 connection linit then 250 people can use it.
>> The thief has 5 and if everyone did that then only 100 people could
>> connect with any other person recieving the Too Many Users error
>> message.
>

> I understand that, but the MS article says that it is limited to 2
> simultaneous downloads, period. It doesn't say per server.
Hi,

Yes, but this one does:

INFO: WinInet Limits Connections Per Server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110

And the name of the registry value you need to edit gives a pretty
good indication that it is per server:

MaxConnectionsPerServer

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> Steve N. wrote:
>
>> David Candy wrote:
>>
>>> It is what is being discussed. You can have 2 connections to a host.
>>> You can have as many connections as you want but only 2 to any
>>> particular host.
>>>
>>> If a server has a 500 connection linit then 250 people can use it.
>>> The thief has 5 and if everyone did that then only 100 people could
>>> connect with any other person recieving the Too Many Users error
>>> message.
>>

>> I understand that, but the MS article says that it is limited to 2
>> simultaneous downloads, period. It doesn't say per server.
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, but this one does:
>
> INFO: WinInet Limits Connections Per Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110
>

> And the name of the registry value you need to edit gives a pretty
> good indication that it is per server:
>
> MaxConnectionsPerServer

Understood. Thanks.

Steve

King George John wrote:

>>Line 55 - right hand side
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>

> OK, this is the meat:
>
> WshShell.RegWrite
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server",10,"REG_DWORD"
> WshShell.RegWrite
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\MaxConnectionsPerServer",10,"REG_DWORD"
>
> 1) Why "twice"
> 2) Why the "variations?"
Hi,

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110

<quote>

MaxConnectionsPerServer REG_DWORD (Default 2)
Sets the number of simultaneous requests to a single HTTP 1.1 Server

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server REG_DWORD (Default 4)
Sets the number of simultaneous requests to a single HTTP 1.0 Server

</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

> MaxConnectionsPerServer REG_DWORD (Default 2)
> Sets the number of simultaneous requests to a single HTTP 1.1 Server
>
> MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server REG_DWORD (Default 4)
> Sets the number of simultaneous requests to a single HTTP 1.0 Server

OK. Makes sense (or at least as much sense as anything connected to the
registry does.)

thanks, again

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:25:04 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>That's because you are thieving other's connections. That means you are a thief.
>You are preventing others from using the internet and making web sites pay larger
>licensing fees.

Oh, please.

Chances are that bandwidth sensitivities will be protected from the
server side, where these exist.

For example, many sites use a "read these squiggly random characters
and type them in" UI to block automated bots. When it comes to
hammering resources, even the piggiest human is hard-pressed to
compete with a bot; it's like trying to out-fart a factory, in the
context of air pollution. You can't swallow that many beans.

For example, if your ISP's conduits are the limiting factor, the ISP
may impose any or all of the following:
- Terms and Conditions; get kicked off if you break 'em
- monthly capacity cap, e.g. 2G per month
- limit on number of simultaneous recipients when sending mail
- have to be dialed in via ISP to send mail through ISP
- some sort of "simultaneous download limit"
- minimum permitted modem speed
- extra cost for higher bandwidth e.g. ADSL vs. modem
- limit to number of PCs logged in a at a time (NAT?)
It's interesting that out of all of the above, I haven't heard
anything from ISPs about how many downloads, web browser windows,
streaming media sessions etc. you may have at a time, so that doesn't
seem to be an issue for them. P2P sharing, shared resource projects a
la SETI, listening to streaming media such as Internet radio etc. may
impact more than downloading anyway.

For example, a site may limit the number of simultaneous connects you
may have, and either enqueue you or kick you off if you exceed these.
They can track this by IP address (number of simultaneous downloads)
or requests to download from arbitrary points in the file (multipoint
multi-track downloads as per download accelerators).

The site may have different issues.

If it's bandwidth as such, they will hate download accelerators and
high visitor connect speeds (e.g. they'd prefer doling out data at 2ks
a la DUN than 50ks a la ADSL).

But if it's number of connections, they may welcoms fast visitors who
spit and get off the pot quickly, rather than some 14400bps dozeball
who pulls 2 bytes a minute and ties up a connection for 10 hours to
download a 20k patch. Then it's a question of whether multipoint
multi-track acceleration counts as one connection per track.

In practice, I often find that busy servers tend to timeout and kick
off slow (DUN) connects while working fine on ADSL. For example, if a
new malware requires an av vendor to ship a new engine, so the usual
daily 500k update is now a 5M monster, that has to be served to the
same number of visitors wanting updates, it gets ouchy for DUN, even
though the DUN connect is surely not "flooding" the bandwidth.

I looked at (rather than through) that RFC, and MEGO - so I can't say
if MS's assertion is correct or not. Nice to see them on the pious
side of the standards fence for once, if it is so.

>-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
"Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"

TRENDING THREADS