karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Ok, I tried to install some RAM. I tried upgrading from 45 mb to 120. It wouldnt work. My computer didnt even start up. Is there any way to get it to work?
Maybe beacuse I tried to go from 70 NS to 60NS? Could that do it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, you mean from 48MB to 128MB? First thing is, it sound like you're using SIMMs. Most Pentium chipsets can only run SIMMS in matched pairs. If you're running a 486, you can't use EDO, you need Fast Page Mode. Pentiums can use either EDO or Fast Page mode, you're not supposed to mix them but my experience says you can as long as you put the FPM in the first slot.

So anyway they have to be the same sized pairs. You can't even mix FPM and Parity because Parity has an extra chip. Wow.

All boards that support 70ns RAM support 60ns or even 50ns as well. That's because all RAM can be slowed. But if you're trying to run EDO on a 486, or mixing Parity with Non-Parity, or running unmatched pairs, or non-pairs, you're not doing it right.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I'm usuing a pentium CPU. I am currently using EDO RAM (72 mb) and my is FPM HP (the one I orded) is 64 mb SIMM. I bought 2 of them. My computer wont even load windows and what not.. I need some help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You bought 2 64MB FPM SIMMS? And you installed them in pairs? Try them without any other memory installed. There's a slight chance that your board doesn't support 64MB SIMMs, but that's not likely. And I've never heard of a Pentium board that didn't support FPM.

Make sure you have them paired correctly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, and I keep telling you, that part doesn't matter. Your system can run 70ns, 60ns, or even 50ns parts. They all can (except a few that can't stabley run 70ns because it's too slow).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll tell you what, send me the RAM and I'll test it. If it works, I'll send you the RAM AND the board I tested it on. Of course you'll have to pay shipping.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, does it have a funny looking chip in the center? Or do the other modules?

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
It has a yellowish little chip in the middle of it that says 47 6
10 -
k
602 -

Then a black one has a C3 on it and then right on top of the black thing is has a upside down cr11

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, I was just guessing that the EDO might be buffered or something.