Backup HD to HD

Hello everyone,

I have a pc with Windows 2000 installded and has two partition C and D. I
would like to backup the whole drive including both partitions and transfer
it to a better pc I have, but the new pc of mine has XP installed on it. I
already backedup the hard drive to the network file server using windows 2000
default backup wizard, but when I want to open the file on my XP machine, It
curupts the system files and next time I restart it crashes. I need to
findout a way to backup the hd exactly as is on 2000 and transfer it to Xp.
Any suggestions.

Thank you.

--
:)

Try the XP Files and Settings transfer wizard - it should give you options to
transfer everything from old to the new. Alternatively, you can hook them up
together (with a LAN or direct cable connection) and simply copy all the
files over. Be aware that this won't necessarily preserve the programs that
are installed on the Win2K system.

"Saman G via WindowsKB.com" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a pc with Windows 2000 installded and has two partition C and D. I
> would like to backup the whole drive including both partitions and transfer
> it to a better pc I have, but the new pc of mine has XP installed on it. I
> already backedup the hard drive to the network file server using windows 2000
> default backup wizard, but when I want to open the file on my XP machine, It
> curupts the system files and next time I restart it crashes. I need to
> findout a way to backup the hd exactly as is on 2000 and transfer it to Xp.
> Any suggestions.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> :)

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Saman G via WindowsKB.com wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a pc with Windows 2000 installded and has two partition C and D. I
> would like to backup the whole drive including both partitions and transfer
> it to a better pc I have, but the new pc of mine has XP installed on it. I
> already backedup the hard drive to the network file server using windows 2000
> default backup wizard, but when I want to open the file on my XP machine, It
> curupts the system files and next time I restart it crashes. I need to
> findout a way to backup the hd exactly as is on 2000 and transfer it to Xp.
> Any suggestions.
>
> Thank you.

Only data and settings can be transferred from the original disk to the
new installation. Use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard - FAST.
See this link: http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Programs cannot be transferred. They will need to be installed from the
original media.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User