Treo 600 replacement???

August 23, 2004 11:45:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi,

I would like a unit that can replace my old Palm Vx and my cell phone. I
would also like a camera. I know all of these are available on the current
Treo 600.

How about GPS? Blue tooth?

Does anybody know if a replacement is due out soon for the Treo 600? What
will be the improvements? How about size? I find the Treo 600 a bit large
for my taste.

Is there another device I should be considering?

Thanks,
Gary

--
*** Remove upper-case letters from email address when responding via email.

More about : treo 600 replacement

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:06:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <MFlWc.14290$nk.8421@okepread05>, "Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like a unit that can replace my old Palm Vx and my cell phone. I
> would also like a camera. I know all of these are available on the current
> Treo 600.
>
> How about GPS? Blue tooth?
>
> Does anybody know if a replacement is due out soon for the Treo 600? What
> will be the improvements? How about size? I find the Treo 600 a bit large
> for my taste.

It's smaller than a Palm Vx ... it's definitely smaller than a Palm Vx
plus a cell phone.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:05:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com> wrote:
>I would like a unit that can replace my old Palm Vx and my cell phone. I
>would also like a camera. I know all of these are available on the current
>Treo 600.
>
>How about GPS? Blue tooth?

There's been some speculation that the Treo 610 will include
BlueTooth, but nothing definate, and waiting for Treo releases can be
long and painful, to say nothing of waiting for your carrier to start
carrrying/supporting them.
Related resources
August 24, 2004 3:13:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I noticed in last Sunday's local newspaper that Sprint is offering a
$300 rebate on the Treo 600...

This leads me to believe that there is something new coming down the
pike!!

--
---
(remove x before emailing)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

This is true, but I carry my phone on my belt and keep my Vx in my
briefcase. There are many times that I answer my phone and cannot schedule
an appointment because I don't have my briefcase.

Thanks,
Gary

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <MFlWc.14290$nk.8421@okepread05>, "Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like a unit that can replace my old Palm Vx and my cell phone.
> > would also like a camera. I know all of these are available on the
current
> > Treo 600.
> >
> > How about GPS? Blue tooth?
> >
> > Does anybody know if a replacement is due out soon for the Treo 600?
What
> > will be the improvements? How about size? I find the Treo 600 a bit
large
> > for my taste.
>
> It's smaller than a Palm Vx ... it's definitely smaller than a Palm Vx
> plus a cell phone.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:32:26 PM

William P.N. Smith ha scritto:

> There's been some speculation that the Treo 610 will include
> BlueTooth, but nothing definate, and waiting for Treo releases can be
> long and painful, to say nothing of waiting for your carrier to start
> carrrying/supporting them.

It should include also a HiRes display... and someone talks about
EDGE... but these are only speculation, of course!
August 25, 2004 5:32:27 PM

"Rashef" <rashef@rashef.it> wrote in message news:412c790d$1@x-privat.org...
> William P.N. Smith ha scritto:
>
> > There's been some speculation that the Treo 610 will include
> > BlueTooth, but nothing definate, and waiting for Treo releases can be
> > long and painful, to say nothing of waiting for your carrier to start
> > carrrying/supporting them.
>
> It should include also a HiRes display... and someone talks about
> EDGE... but these are only speculation, of course!

What is the point of bring out a new GSM device so late? I don't think I
could recommend investing in high value 2.5G devices just as 3G starts to
come good.

BT became standard on exec phones 2/3 years ago. Palm/Handspring need to do
some fast catch-up if they want to compete the business market.

--
Stuart

August Sale - register BIZ domains for $4.95
http://www.bizzy.net/
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:56:07 PM

In article <VE_Wc.16190$nk.5554@okepread05>, "Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com>
wrote:

> This is true, but I carry my phone on my belt and keep my Vx in my
> briefcase. There are many times that I answer my phone and cannot schedule
> an appointment because I don't have my briefcase.

With the Treo 600, you won't have that problem. Is that the point you were
trying to make?
August 25, 2004 11:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Yes, that's why I want to change.

> > "Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> > > In article <MFlWc.14290$nk.8421@okepread05>, "Gary"
<garywGARYW@nohsc.com>

> > current

> > What
> > large
> > >
> > > It's smaller than a Palm Vx ... it's definitely smaller than a Palm Vx
> > > plus a cell phone.
>
> In article <VE_Wc.16190$nk.5554@okepread05>, "Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This is true, but I carry my phone on my belt and keep my Vx in my
> > briefcase. There are many times that I answer my phone and cannot
schedule
> > an appointment because I don't have my briefcase.
>
> With the Treo 600, you won't have that problem. Is that the point you were
> trying to make?
August 25, 2004 11:57:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Then what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Gary

> > William P.N. Smith ha scritto:
> >
> > > There's been some speculation that the Treo 610 will include
> > > BlueTooth, but nothing definate, and waiting for Treo releases can be
> > > long and painful, to say nothing of waiting for your carrier to start
> > > carrrying/supporting them.
> >
> > It should include also a HiRes display... and someone talks about
> > EDGE... but these are only speculation, of course!
>
> What is the point of bring out a new GSM device so late? I don't think I
> could recommend investing in high value 2.5G devices just as 3G starts to
> come good.
>
> BT became standard on exec phones 2/3 years ago. Palm/Handspring need to
do
> some fast catch-up if they want to compete the business market.
>
> --
> Stuart
>
> August Sale - register BIZ domains for $4.95
> http://www.bizzy.net/

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 6:09:35 PM

"Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com> writes:

>Then what do you recommend?

This is tough right now. I have an old Pilot phone (SPH-I300) and a GSM
phone (T68i) from work. I keep thinking that there will be something
with Bluetooth, GPRS, and Pilot capabilities to replace both. Now I
want EDGE too. It's not happening though.

My T68i just died so I'm going to give the Nokia 6820 a try. It has
everything but the Pilot capabilities. I'm hoping that I can get by
with the built-in calendar and contact database (which is mostly what I
use on my I300 now). I should also be able to install Java apps to
make up (in part) for losing apps like Blazer.

We'll see. It amazes me that no one is offering better devices. The
technology is certainly available.

--kyler
August 26, 2004 7:37:43 PM

"Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com> wrote in message
> Then what do you recommend?

Next month we get some 3G phones to trial (SE Z1010 and an unknown type). I
plan to evaluate them with a BT connected PDA. Not as neat as an integrated
smartphone but with much greater & flexible functionality/speed.

I find that the old Treo is a nice 'connected PDA' but is not a complete
phone solution - so you tend to end up carrying both a decent phone and the
Treo - you still end up with a two device solution.

Hence I don't see the Treo610 as a 2.5G device will merit any consideration
here. A 3G Treo would certainly get our attention and I guess a 3G variant
of the SE P900 series will not be too far down the road. So if
Palm/Handspring don't get ahead, they will soon be left way behind.

--
Stuart

August Sale - register BIZ domains for $4.95
http://www.bizzy.net/
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:14:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Would you leave people alone?

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" <me8@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In article <IzaXc.17140$nk.4685@okepread05>, Gary
> <URL:mailto:garywGARYW@nohsc.com> wrote:
>
> > Then what do you recommend?
>
> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>
> --
> AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
> http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:14:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

What does that URL have to do with the original poster's message or
with the Treo 600?

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" <me8@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<ant271004d07dVpW@office.ajlelectronics.co.uk>...
> In article <IzaXc.17140$nk.4685@okepread05>, Gary
> <URL:mailto:garywGARYW@nohsc.com> wrote:
>
> > Then what do you recommend?
>
> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:19:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

[rearranged for clarity]

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
> Would you leave people alone?

If nobody points out the problem, how do you expect anyone to know when
they're doing something wrong?
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:19:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Who is to say what is right and what is wrong in a global environment like
usenet?

It's fine to post up a FAQ but if that is the only thing that you are going
to post when the guy is asking a question, then I think that it is rude. The
person could have posted an answer and then referred him politely to the URL
of the FAQ. If the person chooses to ignore it, it is his/her option. Leave
it at that.

Also with these type of FAQs, I could write my own FAQ and post it on a
webpage. Does that automatically make it "right"?

Is it wrong to drive on the left side of the street because where you live
people drive on the right side of the street? Is it wrong to burp after a
meal because for North Americans or Europeans, it is considered impolite? Is
it wrong to eat dessert first? etc.

I say different strokes for different folks. The first guy isn't committing
a major usenet "offense" (if there is such a thing) such as posting a file
or binary into a text only newsgroup or changing the date/time of his
computer so that his posts show up always on top.

Why do people insist on telling others how to post when the first person did
insult or demean anyone?

"Alan Anderson" <aranders@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> [rearranged for clarity]

> > > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
> > Would you leave people alone?
>
> If nobody points out the problem, how do you expect anyone to know when
> they're doing something wrong?
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 6:09:38 PM

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> writes:

>Who is to say what is right and what is wrong in a global environment like
>usenet?

The community.

>I say different strokes for different folks. The first guy isn't committing
>a major usenet "offense" (if there is such a thing) such as posting a file
>or binary into a text only newsgroup or changing the date/time of his
>computer so that his posts show up always on top.

What *did* he do that was countered by the provided FAQ? I didn't catch
the offense and now I'm curious. It looked like a decent post to me. Did
it display a lack of research?

--kyler
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:47:15 AM

Harry Eugene Ly wrote:
> Who is to say what is right and what is wrong in a global environment like
> usenet?

> Also with these type of FAQs, I could write my own FAQ and post it on a
> webpage. Does that automatically make it "right"?

No, that wouldn't make it right. However, go back to the archives
that Google has of old Usenet traffic. Look at stuff before, say,
1993 or 1994. You'll see that, with virtually no exception, all posts
that quote things have the new text below the quoted text.

Bottom-posting has been established as the correct and polite posting
style for Usenet for many years. I know, because I've been using
Usenet for just shy of 15 years.

More importantly, let me explain about something related: trimming.
If you post to a newsgroup, you spend 5 minutes or whatever typing
what you're going to say, but then hundreds or maybe thousands of
people (or even more) will read your post. This is a different
situation than e-mail. So, even if it takes you an extra 60 seconds
to trim the quoted text that isn't really needed, it's the polite
thing to do because this extra little bit of time you spend will
save hundreds or thousands of people a second or two while reading
your post.

Having said that, I have never seen someone advocate or defend
top-posting who also trims their own posts properly. So, those
who would seek to seek to establish top-posting as an accepted way
to format posts aren't winning the argument, at least not in my
view of things.

By the way, you notice I didn't talk about what's right or wrong.
But I do think it's important to think about what's considerate
or inconsiderate.

- Logan
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 3:14:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Too much trimming leaves the recent readers of the message not knowing what
or how the topic changed as in the case of this topic (read the post from
Kyler Laird <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> for an example of someone not knowing
what was going on).

I'm glad that you didn't point out that is right and what is wrong.

In terms of being considerate, there are some bottom posters who don't trim
and when people read these postings on google, they have to scroll through
all the previous messages to get to the answer. Top posting eliminates this.
The person just reads the top post and if he/she wants to see how the
conversation reached this point, all he/she has to do is read below. E-mail
is sort of the same thing. In our company, we seldomly write the e-mail
below the original e-mail. We might answer each question within the person's
original e-mail but that is it. The reasoning behind this is that let's say
you e-mail back/forth between 3 people. Someone then brings something up
that requires the approval/opinion of someone else who wasn't part of the
original 3 people. With all the cutting/trimming, the new person won't know
what was previously discussed and might cover the same points.

What I find incosiderate/rude is when someone asks a question and someone
replies with a link to an FAQ that has nothing to do with the question or
the topic. The person doesn't even answer the question and then refer the
original poster to the FAQ.

Some people might find top posters inconsiderate but many people who only
have access to UseNet through google find the majority of bottom posters
inconsiderate because they have to scroll through all the previous messages
just to read the answer at the bottom and sometimes the answer is just one
word or one sentence and sometimes it isn't even related to the original
topic.

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Harry Eugene Ly wrote:
> > Who is to say what is right and what is wrong in a global environment
like
> > usenet?
>
> > Also with these type of FAQs, I could write my own FAQ and post it on a
> > webpage. Does that automatically make it "right"?
>
> No, that wouldn't make it right. However, go back to the archives
> that Google has of old Usenet traffic. Look at stuff before, say,
> 1993 or 1994. You'll see that, with virtually no exception, all posts
> that quote things have the new text below the quoted text.
>
> Bottom-posting has been established as the correct and polite posting
> style for Usenet for many years. I know, because I've been using
> Usenet for just shy of 15 years.
>
> More importantly, let me explain about something related: trimming.
> If you post to a newsgroup, you spend 5 minutes or whatever typing
> what you're going to say, but then hundreds or maybe thousands of
> people (or even more) will read your post. This is a different
> situation than e-mail. So, even if it takes you an extra 60 seconds
> to trim the quoted text that isn't really needed, it's the polite
> thing to do because this extra little bit of time you spend will
> save hundreds or thousands of people a second or two while reading
> your post.
>
> Having said that, I have never seen someone advocate or defend
> top-posting who also trims their own posts properly. So, those
> who would seek to seek to establish top-posting as an accepted way
> to format posts aren't winning the argument, at least not in my
> view of things.
>
> By the way, you notice I didn't talk about what's right or wrong.
> But I do think it's important to think about what's considerate
> or inconsiderate.
>
> - Logan
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:39:25 AM

Harry Eugene Ly wrote:
> In terms of being considerate, there are some bottom posters who don't trim
> and when people read these postings on google, they have to scroll through
> all the previous messages to get to the answer. Top posting eliminates this.

OK, let me be more succinct:

Not trimming properly is inconsiderate. Top posting is bad because
it encourages people not to trim properly. In practice, I have never
seen anyone who top posts and trims properly.

- Logan
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:46:19 AM

invalid_jimpoon@canada.com (Jim Poon) wrote:
> What does that URL have to do with the original poster's message or
> with the Treo 600?

That URL addresses the message directly, but it targets the message's form
rather than its content.

Gary's message was a single line, followed by a quote of the entire
determining what he was asking, because the context was given *after* his
question. The major problem was the EXTREME difficulty of determining the
context, because he didn't trim the non-relevant bits of the quoted text.

For anyone who is still following this rant, please extend to your readers
the courtesy of trimming quotes. If you do that, top-posting is much less
difficult to deal with (though it's still not logical).

--
A: Because it reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting considered inappropriate by many people?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:

> Who is to say what is right and what is wrong in a global environment like
> usenet?

The members of the environment determine its standards. The standards for
usenet were established long ago. Just because Outlook Express makes it
easier to ignore the standards than to follow them doesn't make it right.

> Is it wrong to drive on the left side of the street because where you live
> people drive on the right side of the street?

*Obviously* it is wrong! I don't know what you're thinking, but what you
wrote doesn't seem to make a valid point.

> Is it wrong to burp after a
> meal because for North Americans or Europeans, it is considered impolite?

If you want to respect a community, it is wrong to violate its culture.
If you want to be rude, it is not wrong. So you just need to ask yourself
whether or not you want to be rude.

> Is it wrong to eat dessert first? etc.

If it is the custom not to eat dessert first, then it is wrong.

In this case, the custom is not to put your response before what you are
responding to. Further, the custom is not to copy the entire previous
post; instead, one is expected to remove from the quoted text anything
which is not being responded to.

> I say different strokes for different folks...

Those who insist on splashing will always annoy their fellow swimmers.
August 28, 2004 9:30:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hello Group,

Sorry for creating such a stink. I've posted quite a bit on the UseNet
before, but I've never run into discusion such as this before. I'll be more
careful to trim the quoted info below my text from now on.

Can Outlook Express be set to bottom quote rather than top quote?

(I did quite a bit of trimming below - I hope you can tell.)

Thanks,
Gary

> [rearranged for clarity]
>
> invalid_jimpoon@canada.com (Jim Poon) wrote:
> > What does that URL have to do with the original poster's message or
> > with the Treo 600?
>
> That URL addresses the message directly, but it targets the message's form
> rather than its content.
>
> Gary's message was a single line, followed by a quote of the entire
> determining what he was asking, because the context was given *after* his
> question. The major problem was the EXTREME difficulty of determining the
> context, because he didn't trim the non-relevant bits of the quoted text.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:27:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

What I was getting at is with my examples is that in a global community, how
can someone decide what is right and what is wrong?

I probably didn't write the example of driving on the right vs driving on
the left correctly. What I meant to say is in some parts of the world, they
drive on the right and in other parts of the world, they drive on the left.
Now can you say that everyone should drive on the right because that is the
standard where you live? No, you can just say that where you are, people
should drive on the right or drive on the left. You can't say that one way
is right and the other way is wrong unless you are talking about a specific
geographic area.

What I was getting at is that usenet and the internet is global so if
someone says that top posting wrong or incorrect or inconsiderate but a
large portion of the global population still does it, how can you say that
the community decided that bottom posting was the right/correct/considerate
thing to do?

What is considered in bad taste is posting an answer or reply that has
nothing to do with the question of the original poster. This is what I was
trying to point out. It is also considered rude or in bad taste to change
ones computer clock so as his/her posting appears on top (this was not done,
I'm using it only as an example of what is inconsiderate). Also, posting
binary files in a text only newsgroup is inconsiderate (this was also not
done). However, I don't think that top posting is inconsiderate.

> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
>
> > Who is to say what is right and what is wrong in a global environment
like
> > usenet?
>
> The members of the environment determine its standards. The standards for
> usenet were established long ago. Just because Outlook Express makes it
> easier to ignore the standards than to follow them doesn't make it right.
>
> > Is it wrong to drive on the left side of the street because where you
live
> > people drive on the right side of the street?
>
> *Obviously* it is wrong! I don't know what you're thinking, but what you
> wrote doesn't seem to make a valid point.
>
> > Is it wrong to burp after a
> > meal because for North Americans or Europeans, it is considered
impolite?

> If you want to respect a community, it is wrong to violate its culture.
> If you want to be rude, it is not wrong. So you just need to ask yourself
> whether or not you want to be rude.
>
> > Is it wrong to eat dessert first? etc.
>
> If it is the custom not to eat dessert first, then it is wrong.
>
> In this case, the custom is not to put your response before what you are
> responding to. Further, the custom is not to copy the entire previous
> post; instead, one is expected to remove from the quoted text anything
> which is not being responded to.
>
> > I say different strokes for different folks...
>
> Those who insist on splashing will always annoy their fellow swimmers.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:27:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Why don't all of you just drop the topic. I do a search in Google for
"Treo 600" and I come across all these posts that have absolutely
nothing to do with the Treo 600 except for maybe the first few posts
(under 5).

/Jim

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in message news:<2T_Xc.40521$Sd3.1219314@weber.videotron.net>...
> [...]
> > wrote doesn't seem to make a valid point.
> >
> > > Is it wrong to burp after a
> > > meal because for North Americans or Europeans, it is considered
> impolite?
> >
> > If you want to respect a community, it is wrong to violate its culture.
> > If you want to be rude, it is not wrong. So you just need to ask yourself
> > whether or not you want to be rude.
> >
> > > Is it wrong to eat dessert first? etc.
> >
> > If it is the custom not to eat dessert first, then it is wrong.
> >
> > In this case, the custom is not to put your response before what you are
> > responding to. Further, the custom is not to copy the entire previous
> > post; instead, one is expected to remove from the quoted text anything
> > which is not being responded to.
> >
> > > I say different strokes for different folks...
> >
> > Those who insist on splashing will always annoy their fellow swimmers.
August 28, 2004 3:35:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
>sometimes the answer is just one
>word or one sentence and sometimes it isn't even related to the original
>topic.

Which is a whole nother rathole on consideration. How about we say
that top-posting should be limited to three lines or less, and that
the poster should then remove the remainder of the post. 8*?

[Context can be determined by backing up in the thread and reading
forward.]
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 3:36:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

How's this? 8*) [Naw, still 'feels' wrong.]

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>I have never
>seen anyone who top posts and trims properly.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 3:41:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
>What I was getting at is with my examples is that in a global community, how
>can someone decide what is right and what is wrong?

And what everyone else is getting at is the answer to your question.
Look around you, see how everyone else is behaving, and try to be
considerate to others. Admittedly difficult on Usenet...
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 6:55:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Yes, I'm looking around me and I see quite a few people top posting and I
see quite a few people bottom posting.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
> >What I was getting at is with my examples is that in a global community,
how
> >can someone decide what is right and what is wrong?
>
> And what everyone else is getting at is the answer to your question.
> Look around you, see how everyone else is behaving, and try to be
> considerate to others. Admittedly difficult on Usenet...

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 7:25:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Gary <garywGARYW@nohsc.com> wrote:

> Sorry for creating such a stink. I've posted quite a bit on the
> UseNet before, but I've never run into discusion such as this before.
> I'll be more careful to trim the quoted info below my text from now
> on.
>
> Can Outlook Express be set to bottom quote rather than top quote?

Outlook Express doesn't top quote. You do.
Outlook Express, like most news clients, places the cursor at the top. The
reason for this isn't so you can start typing, but so you can go down line
by line and delete all irrelevant lines, and add your answers where
appropriate.

Unfortunately, what Microsoft didn't do was to have Rocky zoom in from the
side of the monitor and remind you of this if you just started typing.

Snipping/quoting where appropriate, and ending up at the boottom is easier
than doing selective snipping and THEN returning to the top again, but, of
course, more work than not giving a damn about others and simply start
typing, quoting absolutely everything out of context.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:

> What I was getting at is with my examples is that in a global community, how
> can someone decide what is right and what is wrong?

Your argument is valid for a collection of *non*-global communities, where
the same customs and standards are not shared among all. If you insist
that usenet is a global community, you weaken your argument severely. As
a single community, there is a single preferred behavior.

> What I was getting at is that usenet and the internet is global so if
> someone says that top posting wrong or incorrect or inconsiderate but a
> large portion of the global population still does it, how can you say that
> the community decided that bottom posting was the right/correct/considerate
> thing to do?

If you want to find out whether top-posting or bottom-posting is correct,
try it both ways. Top-posting will typically get consistent complaints
about its format, accompanied by consistent logical explanations of why it
is the wrong thing to do.

Bottom-posting is accepted. Top-posting is irritating. (Defiant
top-posting with the prior post quoted in its entirety is troll-like
behavior.)

> What is considered in bad taste is posting an answer or reply that has
> nothing to do with the question of the original poster.

Did you understand what Gary was asking? I didn't, and I suspect that
nobody who might have been able to answer it understood it either.
Context-less comments and questions are the relevant problem here.

> This is what I was
> trying to point out. It is also considered rude or in bad taste to change
> ones computer clock so as his/her posting appears on top (this was not done,
> I'm using it only as an example of what is inconsiderate). Also, posting
> binary files in a text only newsgroup is inconsiderate (this was also not
> done). However, I don't think that top posting is inconsiderate.

You're participating in a global community. Many members of that
community find top-posting inconsiderate. Some complain about it. Nobody
complains that bottom-posting is inconsiderate. Doesn't that tell you
something?
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:14:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

There are quite a few people who complain that bottom posting is
inconsiderate especially when these bottom posters don't trim. With top
posting, people don't complain about trimming as much since after reading
the appropriate answer, he or she is free to read the remaining text (which
is a repeat of the previous messages or go to the next post).

> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
>
> > What I was getting at is with my examples is that in a global community,
how
> > can someone decide what is right and what is wrong?
>
> Your argument is valid for a collection of *non*-global communities, where
> the same customs and standards are not shared among all. If you insist
> that usenet is a global community, you weaken your argument severely. As
> a single community, there is a single preferred behavior.
>
> > What I was getting at is that usenet and the internet is global so if
> > someone says that top posting wrong or incorrect or inconsiderate but a
> > large portion of the global population still does it, how can you say
that
> > the community decided that bottom posting was the
right/correct/considerate
> > thing to do?
>
> If you want to find out whether top-posting or bottom-posting is correct,
> try it both ways. Top-posting will typically get consistent complaints
> about its format, accompanied by consistent logical explanations of why it
> is the wrong thing to do.
>
> Bottom-posting is accepted. Top-posting is irritating. (Defiant
> top-posting with the prior post quoted in its entirety is troll-like
> behavior.)
>
> > What is considered in bad taste is posting an answer or reply that has
> > nothing to do with the question of the original poster.
>
> Did you understand what Gary was asking? I didn't, and I suspect that
> nobody who might have been able to answer it understood it either.
> Context-less comments and questions are the relevant problem here.
>
> > This is what I was
> > trying to point out. It is also considered rude or in bad taste to
change
> > ones computer clock so as his/her posting appears on top (this was not
done,
> > I'm using it only as an example of what is inconsiderate). Also, posting
> > binary files in a text only newsgroup is inconsiderate (this was also
not
> > done). However, I don't think that top posting is inconsiderate.
>
> You're participating in a global community. Many members of that
> community find top-posting inconsiderate. Some complain about it. Nobody
> complains that bottom-posting is inconsiderate. Doesn't that tell you
> something?
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 3:36:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Stuart <info@brainsys.com> wrote:

[snip - new treo speculation]

> What is the point of bring out a new GSM device so late? I don't think I
> could recommend investing in high value 2.5G devices just as 3G starts to
> come good.

I don't think that 3G *is* starting to show good yet (I suppose it
depends where in the world you are posting from). Here in the UK the
only thing they seem able to promote is cheap calls and sports videos.
Yawn.

Sure, the technology has promise, but until...
1) the technology becomes price-competitive
2) the handsets become size-competitive
3) the network reaches comparable coverage
....with 2G/2G+ technologies, I can see a market for 2G. The extra speed
(and the network-friendly data techniques) are not enough of a bonus to
counteract the above issues.

Heck, analogue phones took an age to be phased out (I worked for a UK
mobile network company when we finally turned off the analogue signal,
and that was only a couple of years ago). And that was when phones
weren't popular. 2G will be around for a while, and be useful, even in
the high end.

> BT became standard on exec phones 2/3 years ago. Palm/Handspring need to do
> some fast catch-up if they want to compete the business market.

This, I agree with.

-zoara-

--
Sig wanted. Reward offered.
August 29, 2004 10:35:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi Art,

You are mostly correct. However, when I hit reply in Outlook Express, it
puts my signature exactly where you see it (just below where I'm typing now)
and the "--" just above the signature. I do not see an option to force OE
to place the signature line at the bottom of the page. I suppose I could
kill the sig line.

I trimmed your message below. Does it both you that I'm now misquoting you
(at least not including all information which you offered)?

Thanks,
Gary

--

"Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote in message
> Gary <garywGARYW@nohsc.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can Outlook Express be set to bottom quote rather than top quote?
>
> Outlook Express doesn't top quote. You do.
> Outlook Express, like most news clients, places the cursor at the top.
The
> reason for this isn't so you can start typing, but so you can go down line
> by line and delete all irrelevant lines, and add your answers where
> appropriate.
>
> Regards,
> --
> *Art

August 30, 2004 1:25:30 AM

zoara wrote:
> Stuart <info@brainsys.com> wrote:
>
> [snip - new treo speculation]
>

>>What is the point of bring out a new GSM device so late? I don't think I
>>could recommend investing in high value 2.5G devices just as 3G starts to
>>come good.
>

> I don't think that 3G *is* starting to show good yet (I suppose it
> depends where in the world you are posting from). Here in the UK the
> only thing they seem able to promote is cheap calls and sports videos.
> Yawn.

Here in the UK neither Voda or Orange offer that on 3G ;-)

Lets forget about a certain joke network and look what is happening in
the real market. Data 3G is here and running at competitive prices.
Voice 3G is about to go live.

> Sure, the technology has promise, but until...
> 1) the technology becomes price-competitive

It is mostly cheaper than 2G already.

> 2) the handsets become size-competitive

So how much bigger is a Z1010?

> 3) the network reaches comparable coverage
> ...with 2G/2G+ technologies

Same coverage already as 3G phones automatically switch to 2G if 3G is
not present.

> Heck, analogue phones took an age to be phased out

How long did it take them to dip below 50% sales? Was it 1, 2 or 3
years? Do you think 3G will be slower/faster?

> (I worked for a UK
> mobile network company when we finally turned off the analogue signal,
> and that was only a couple of years ago).

One network out of four. Mostly for a few Scottish mountaineers I
believe ;-)

--
Stuart
Anonymous

In article <e9ZXc.4587$bT1.69@fed1read07>, "Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com> wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> Sorry for creating such a stink. I've posted quite a bit on the UseNet
> before, but I've never run into discusion such as this before. I'll be more
> careful to trim the quoted info below my text from now on.
>
> Can Outlook Express be set to bottom quote rather than top quote?
>
> (I did quite a bit of trimming below - I hope you can tell.)
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

You mean you can't move the cursor below the quoted part before typing?
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 10:29:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:

> You mean you can't move the cursor below the quoted part before
> typing?

And if you want to jump to the end (not that you should -- you should snip
irrelevant parts and signatures first), CTRL+END works wonders.

--
*Art
August 31, 2004 4:35:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I could move the quoted section from the previous post (one that I'm
responding to), but I cannot get Outlook Express to put my signature "***
Remove upper-case letters from email address when responding via email." to
the bottom of the reply without doing it manually. The other alternative
would be to eliminating it completely.

What are most others using as a UseNet viewer instead of Outlook Express?

Gary

--

wrote:

> You mean you can't move the cursor below the quoted part before typing?
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 5:44:27 PM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Gary wrote:

> I cannot get Outlook Express to put my signature to the bottom of
> the reply without doing it manually. The other alternative would be
> to eliminating it completely.

....or to use google for 10 seconds to look for a solution:

http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:27:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <Pine.OSX.4.61.0408311342350.11652@gouda.local>, Anonymous
Coward <ac@ac.ac> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Gary wrote:
>
> > I cannot get Outlook Express to put my signature to the bottom of
> > the reply without doing it manually. The other alternative would be
> > to eliminating it completely.
>
> ...or to use google for 10 seconds to look for a solution:
>
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Eliminate your signature completely.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 12:11:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com> writes:

>I could move the quoted section from the previous post (one that I'm
>responding to), but I cannot get Outlook Express to put my signature "***
>Remove upper-case letters from email address when responding via email." to
>the bottom of the reply without doing it manually. The other alternative
>would be to eliminating it completely.

Yea! That sounds like a good solution. I've never understood
wordy "signatures" and using fake e-mail addresses on Usenet is
especially annoying.

--kyler
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 12:37:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

If you use a real e-mail address on UseNet, you will get hit with a bunch of
Microsoft viruses in your e-mail address.

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message
> "Gary" <garywGARYW@nohsc.com> writes:
>
> >I could move the quoted section from the previous post (one that I'm
> >responding to), but I cannot get Outlook Express to put my signature "***
> >Remove upper-case letters from email address when responding via email."
> >the bottom of the reply without doing it manually. The other alternative
> >would be to eliminating it completely.
>
> Yea! That sounds like a good solution. I've never understood
> wordy "signatures" and using fake e-mail addresses on Usenet is
> especially annoying.
>
> --kyler
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 6:52:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Begin Gary quote:

; What are most others using as a UseNet viewer instead of Outlook Express?

Anything else. I use Agent.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

DISCLAIMER: Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:10:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> writes:

>If you use a real e-mail address on UseNet, you will get hit with a bunch of
>Microsoft viruses in your e-mail address.

Yeah, so? It hasn't bothered me for the past decade. I doubt it will
anytime soon. Any inconvenience certainly isn't worth lying in headers.

--kyler
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:54:39 AM

Kyler Laird <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in news:D bqf02-v96.ln1@lairds.us:

> Yeah, so? It hasn't bothered me for the past decade. I doubt it will
> anytime soon. Any inconvenience certainly isn't worth lying in headers.

Spam Spam Spam.

-
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
September 1, 2004 11:27:24 AM

Gary wrote:

> I could move the quoted section from the previous post (one that I'm
> responding to), but I cannot get Outlook Express to put my signature "***
> Remove upper-case letters from email address when responding via email." to
> the bottom of the reply without doing it manually. The other alternative
> would be to eliminating it completely.

I wish I could find the link, but I once saw a page where one of the
guys in charge of mail client software *at Microsoft* reviewed the
major mail clients available for Windows and described gave them
overall ratings in various areas. Microsoft Outlook Express
(and Outlook?) ranked very near the bottom of the list.

In other words, even Microsoft doesn't really think Outlook Express
is a very good mail client. :-)

- Logan
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:39:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Not only do you have to worry about the Microsoft viruses, you will also get
spammed to death. Tried using my real e-mail address on usenet and got tired
of getting over 50 mails a day comprising of spam and Microsoft viruses. My
inbox would be filled up within a few days if I didn't check my e-mail while
on vacation. Once I switched providers, I opted for the fake e-mail address
in usenet. Everyone who I know that wants to contact me already has my
e-mail address. Lots of people use real e-mail addresses (valid e-mail
addresses) that they don't check (not saying that you do this) when posting
on newsgroups. Personally, I use an e-mail address that is *obviously* not
valid.

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message
news:D bqf02-v96.ln1@lairds.us...
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> writes:
>
> >If you use a real e-mail address on UseNet, you will get hit with a bunch
of
> >Microsoft viruses in your e-mail address.
>
> Yeah, so? It hasn't bothered me for the past decade. I doubt it will
> anytime soon. Any inconvenience certainly isn't worth lying in headers.
>
> --kyler
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 5:10:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> writes:

>Not only do you have to worry about the Microsoft viruses, you will also get
>spammed to death.

I don't lie in my headers and I haven't for the 10++ years that I've been
posting to Usenet. You're claiming that I am both dead and worrying about
MS virii? You're not making much of a point.

>Tried using my real e-mail address on usenet and got tired
>of getting over 50 mails a day comprising of spam and Microsoft viruses.

And because you couldn't figure out an intelligent way of dealing with them
you decided to punt. I'm suggesting that people put a little more thought
into intelligent strategies of dealing with e-mail instead of into creating
cute lies for Usenet sender addresses.

--kyler
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 6:01:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE.

Thanks.

Guy Bannis (guy@ether.net) wrote:
: In article <Pine.OSX.4.61.0408311342350.11652@gouda.local>, Anonymous
: Coward <ac@ac.ac> wrote:

: > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Gary wrote:
: >
: > > I cannot get Outlook Express to put my signature to the bottom of
: > > the reply without doing it manually. The other alternative would be
: > > to eliminating it completely.
: >
: > ...or to use google for 10 seconds to look for a solution:
: >
: > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

: Eliminate your signature completely.

--