Sign in with
Your question

Can't find DVD driver for Windows 7 install

Last response: in Windows 7
August 18, 2012 3:17:31 AM

Can't find DVD driver for new Windows 7 install. During initial Windows 7 setup, it says it needs a DVD driver but I can't find one for my Samsung SH-222BB/RSBS.
August 18, 2012 3:24:52 AM

That's weird coz window can just use generic DVD driver and that's always the case for me. U r doing fresh installation of Win 7 or upgrading ?

As far as i can recall, i dun have to install any driver for DVD drive for any of my PC. They are just plug and play unless u r talking about he PC that is more then 12years old.
m
l
August 18, 2012 3:56:49 AM

New install with all new components...
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 4:19:55 AM

Every other Install I have done worked with the generic drivers. This time is new build with all new parts. Put everything together...set up Raid with my new twin hd's and pop in the Win7 disk. Part way into the install I get this message that A required CD/DVD driver is missing. I have not seen this before and can't get past it. The DVD is working because it started the Win7 install.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2012 4:34:34 AM

That's odd. I've seen that on USB installs before. What is the exact error and what time during the install do you get it.
m
l
August 18, 2012 4:51:57 AM

It says: A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

This message came up 1/4th of the way into phase 1 (Collecting Information).
m
l
August 18, 2012 4:52:53 AM

The problem is with the RAID setup. Look into your BIOS and see if there is a way to set the SATA channels up with only part of them set to RAID mode. If you connect the DVD drive to a SATA Port that is defined as a RAID mode port, Windows asks for a driver for the DVD drive. Set that SATA channel to IDE mode and you will be able to install from the DVD drive just fine.
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:29:32 AM

Thanks...JK

That was exactly it.
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:38:12 AM

RAID and ACHI require drivers, IDE does not.
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:45:25 AM

Had the exact same thing happen about a year ago. Thanks.
m
l
August 18, 2012 11:48:25 AM

odil1372 said:
It says: A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

This message came up 1/4th of the way into phase 1 (Collecting Information).

i cant find audio drivers for windows 7
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2012 2:19:47 PM

@JKatwyopc

Shouldn't windows already have a generic driver for ACHI? Does the OP have no hope if he wants to install a drive under ACHI? Especially if he ever uses an SSD in the future.

I'm not arguing, I'm just more curious then anything and want to learn more about this issue. You seem like you have a decent understanding on the issue. Thanks mate.
m
l
August 18, 2012 4:41:29 PM

skaz said:
@JKatwyopc

Shouldn't windows already have a generic driver for ACHI? Does the OP have no hope if he wants to install a drive under ACHI? Especially if he ever uses an SSD in the future.

I'm not arguing, I'm just more curious then anything and want to learn more about this issue. You seem like you have a decent understanding on the issue. Thanks mate.

Yeah, you would think so. It's not the AHCI that's the problem though. It's the RAID. AHCI uses a subset of the RAID commands. I don't know why the DVD drive doesn't work when the SATA port is set to RAID because it will work fine if the SATA port is set to AHCI. I think that might be a good question to ask Microsoft Tech Support about.

Ironically, once windows is installed you can set the port back to RAID and the DVD drive will work just fine except that you still can't reload windows with it. BTW, I have tried to set up the SATA ports as RAID and AHCI instead of RAID and IDE but I haven't found a MOBO that supports that yet.
m
l
May 18, 2014 4:47:36 AM

Changing the SATA setting in the bios didn't fix it for me. However, downloading the tool here worked.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755139

1) Rip your windows installation/recovery CD into .ISO format. I downloaded the trial version of Alcohol 120% for this.
2) Use the windows boot USB/DVD tool on the .ISO file. (http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framew...)
3) Start up the machine to be formatted as normal (with the installer disc inside). Go through the process until it gives the error message.
4) Once the message "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." is shown, press "X" at the top right of the window to cancel the installation. This will cause the installer to exit to the first menu.
5) Remove the installer disc, and insert the prepared USB drive. Go through the process again, and it should install this time.
5.1) Some people say that it might still report the same error message. In that case, try coming back out to the main menu again, but put the USB drive in a different port instead.

Credit--this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuC83DEdwu0
m
l
!