Weird keyboard problem

I have a laptop that has a strange keyboard issue. You know how small
keyboards without numeric keypads will have a "Fn" key which you
depress to access another letter/number/function? Well, when I type
regular, it's acting like the Fn key is being held.

Here is the kicker though - it only does it once it's booted to the
desktop. At the password prompt at login the keyboard works normally.
It's only when i actually log in and get to the desktop that the Fn
key is "stuck".

I verified that it's not physically the keyboard by booting up
completely off a Linux live CD and keyboard is fine. Keyboard also
exhibits the same probelm in Safe Mode.

I've tried unstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver but the problem
persists.

Any idea what is causing this?

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Have you tried pressing the Function Lock key to turn off function lock.

XP saves the status of the num lock, etc.. for each user account. (that is,
if you enable function lock in XP for a user account, then logoff, the next
time you logon to that USER the function lock will be enabled, and vice versa)

"SepticTank" wrote:

> I have a laptop that has a strange keyboard issue. You know how small
> keyboards without numeric keypads will have a "Fn" key which you
> depress to access another letter/number/function? Well, when I type
> regular, it's acting like the Fn key is being held.
>
> Here is the kicker though - it only does it once it's booted to the
> desktop. At the password prompt at login the keyboard works normally.
> It's only when i actually log in and get to the desktop that the Fn
> key is "stuck".
>
> I verified that it's not physically the keyboard by booting up
> completely off a Linux live CD and keyboard is fine. Keyboard also
> exhibits the same probelm in Safe Mode.
>
> I've tried unstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver but the problem
> persists.
>
> Any idea what is causing this?

the thing is, that its ANY key that won't work first off... if I press the
caps lock, the caps lock light won't turn on (unless I hold it down until I
hear the second strange beeping noise)... the same goes for the function
lock, and anthing else. the keyboard works 'fine' if I deal with holding
down a key for 2 or 3 seconds and bearing the strange beeping noise...

"anon" wrote:

> Have you tried pressing the Function Lock key to turn off function lock.
>
> XP saves the status of the num lock, etc.. for each user account. (that is,
> if you enable function lock in XP for a user account, then logoff, the next
> time you logon to that USER the function lock will be enabled, and vice versa)
>
> "SepticTank" wrote:
>
> > I have a laptop that has a strange keyboard issue. You know how small
> > keyboards without numeric keypads will have a "Fn" key which you
> > depress to access another letter/number/function? Well, when I type
> > regular, it's acting like the Fn key is being held.
> >
> > Here is the kicker though - it only does it once it's booted to the
> > desktop. At the password prompt at login the keyboard works normally.
> > It's only when i actually log in and get to the desktop that the Fn
> > key is "stuck".
> >
> > I verified that it's not physically the keyboard by booting up
> > completely off a Linux live CD and keyboard is fine. Keyboard also
> > exhibits the same probelm in Safe Mode.
> >
> > I've tried unstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver but the problem
> > persists.
> >
> > Any idea what is causing this?

oops wrong thread. if someone could delete these posts, that'd be great.