Your question

Future of mobile internet

Tags:
  • Wireless Access
  • Mobile Internet
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in General Connectivity
May 19, 2010 5:53:46 AM

So what is the best guess on the Future of mobile internet?
we can be sure it will be faster with sprints talk about 4G,
but do you think it going to be cheaper?, add more data limit, start charging for faster speed or less for slower speed, sorta like normal ISP charge. Maybe even take over the normal "land lines" internet.

More about : future mobile internet

May 24, 2010 12:36:38 AM

I don't think it will get cheaper, just faster. More and more companies will be able to sell faster data plans, just like the ISP companies.
m
l
May 25, 2010 8:06:50 PM

Catsrules said:
So what is the best guess on the Future of mobile internet?
we can be sure it will be faster with sprints talk about 4G,
but do you think it going to be cheaper?, add more data limit, start charging for faster speed or less for slower speed, sorta like normal ISP charge. Maybe even take over the normal "land lines" internet.

I think that there will come a time when you don't have desktops anymore. Everything would be mobile. You get your laptop or PDA or smartphone, connect to the Internet, get on the cloud. Everything you need to work or study would be mobile.
m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2010 4:21:55 AM

I just want wetware. I'll be cool to cyberize part of your brain. You know, like Ghost in the Shell.
m
l
June 7, 2010 3:53:36 PM

It'll be cheaper but people will still complain, because while it will cost 1/10 of what it used to they will want 100 times as much data.

That's already the case the the whiners on AT&T about the change of the 'unlimited' plan.

It will always get faster and cheaper per bit, but it will remain as prohibitive getting the most of it because spectrum is limited and back-haul is limited so you need to limit access somehow or else it's congested by all the shoutcast twits, etc.
You also have the issue of added congestion from people moving from hardline to wireless access which is happening more now that the speeds compete with ADSL & Cable (which is why FIOS is now cheaper to offer something for wireline).
m
l
June 12, 2010 1:33:48 AM

In the current context of things, I'm looking forward to seeing what 4g (GSM) and LTE (CDMA) have to offer in terms of speed and reliability once such networks go on line.
m
l
June 14, 2010 4:10:41 AM

buwish said:
I'm looking forward to seeing what 4g (GSM) and LTE (CDMA) have to offer in terms of speed and reliability once such networks go on line.

They are already online, just not available to the average consumer (there is already extensive testing going on on the major networks in N.Am. and Europe), early testing is fast, but that's still limited. There are a ton of advantages to 4G beyond just single channel speed. MIMO, Channel Bonding, OFDM, etc will allow alot more flexibility than we have now.

BTW, LTE is 4G but it's not CDMA, not even W-CDMA; LTE is enhanced UMTS which includes W-CDMA as a component, but different and enhanced, like HSDPA is also including in the UMTS grouping. GSM is TDMA and the past.

Sprint's 4G network is WiMax 802.16 similar to WiFi but not GSM or TDMA or CDMA.

m
l