Missing left pane, My Computer display

Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start Menu, I
see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the left pane. It
was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have searched all of the
menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it. WinXP Pro SP2
pre-installed from OEM.

Click on the Folders button.

Or look at these...

Windows Explorer folder pane is blank or grayed out
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/greyfolderpane.htm

"All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D1EA899D-9BE1-402F-ABA7-3D0E7B84D074@microsoft.com,
damfly <damfly@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start
> Menu, I see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the
> left pane. It was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have
> searched all of the menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it.
> WinXP Pro SP2 pre-installed from OEM.

No luck. I had read or tried all of your recommendations except the one using
the "+" and ctl key (I'm on a laptop). I can get the folders pane to display
but not the gray pane with "system tasks, other places, and details". All of
the drive icons and documents folders are completely aligned on the far left
edge of the screen.

Thanks for you help and time.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Click on the Folders button.
>
> Or look at these...
>
> Windows Explorer folder pane is blank or grayed out
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/greyfolderpane.htm
>
> "All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D1EA899D-9BE1-402F-ABA7-3D0E7B84D074@microsoft.com,
> damfly <damfly@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start
> > Menu, I see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the
> > left pane. It was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have
> > searched all of the menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it.
> > WinXP Pro SP2 pre-installed from OEM.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

damfly wrote:

> No luck. I had read or tried all of your recommendations except the one using
> the "+" and ctl key (I'm on a laptop). I can get the folders pane to display
> but not the gray pane with "system tasks, other places, and details". All of
> the drive icons and documents folders are completely aligned on the far left
> edge of the screen.
>
> Thanks for you help and time.
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>

>>Click on the Folders button.
>>
>>Or look at these...
>>
>>Windows Explorer folder pane is blank or grayed out
>>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/greyfolderpane.htm
>>
>>"All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315
>>
>>--
>>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>>Wes
>>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>>In news:D1EA899D-9BE1-402F-ABA7-3D0E7B84D074@microsoft.com,
>>damfly <damfly@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>
>>>Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start
>>>Menu, I see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the
>>>left pane. It was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have
>>>searched all of the menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it.
>>>WinXP Pro SP2 pre-installed from OEM.

Tools, folder options, show common tasks in folders.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

That was it. Figures that it was something simple. Thank you.

"Rock" wrote:

> damfly wrote:
>
> > No luck. I had read or tried all of your recommendations except the one using
> > the "+" and ctl key (I'm on a laptop). I can get the folders pane to display
> > but not the gray pane with "system tasks, other places, and details". All of
> > the drive icons and documents folders are completely aligned on the far left
> > edge of the screen.
> >
> > Thanks for you help and time.
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >

> >>Click on the Folders button.
> >>
> >>Or look at these...
> >>
> >>Windows Explorer folder pane is blank or grayed out
> >>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/greyfolderpane.htm
> >>
> >>"All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315
> >>
> >>--
> >>Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >>Wes
> >>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >>In news:D1EA899D-9BE1-402F-ABA7-3D0E7B84D074@microsoft.com,
> >>damfly <damfly@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

> Tools, folder options, show common tasks in folders.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

damfly wrote:

> That was it. Figures that it was something simple. Thank you.

Lol..yeah it's nice to have a simple one from time to time. You're welcome.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:35:01 -0700, damfly
<damfly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start Menu, I
>see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the left pane. It
>was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have searched all of the
>menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it. WinXP Pro SP2
>pre-installed from OEM.

If 'View -- Details' does not help, try to hold down left Ctrl key, and
hit GrayPlus (a big '+' key at the right of the keyboard) with mouse
cursor is in the pane where the details are supposed to be.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

sumit003

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hi.Follow the steps mention.Go to My computer---Select folders--Go to tools---Folder options---Show common task in folders---Ok--...Hope this might help you.