Missing left pane, My Computer display

Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start Menu, I
see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the left pane. It
was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have searched all of the
menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it. WinXP Pro SP2
pre-installed from OEM.
7 answers Last reply
More about missing left pane computer display

    Click on the Folders button.

    Or look at these...

    Windows Explorer folder pane is blank or grayed out
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/greyfolderpane.htm

    "All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:D1EA899D-9BE1-402F-ABA7-3D0E7B84D074@microsoft.com,
    damfly <damfly@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start
    > Menu, I see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the
    > left pane. It was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have
    > searched all of the menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it.
    > WinXP Pro SP2 pre-installed from OEM.

    No luck. I had read or tried all of your recommendations except the one using
    the "+" and ctl key (I'm on a laptop). I can get the folders pane to display
    but not the gray pane with "system tasks, other places, and details". All of
    the drive icons and documents folders are completely aligned on the far left
    edge of the screen.

    Thanks for you help and time.

    damfly wrote:

    > No luck. I had read or tried all of your recommendations except the one using
    > the "+" and ctl key (I'm on a laptop). I can get the folders pane to display
    > but not the gray pane with "system tasks, other places, and details". All of
    > the drive icons and documents folders are completely aligned on the far left
    > edge of the screen.
    >
    > Thanks for you help and time.
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >

    >>Click on the Folders button.
    >>
    >>Or look at these...
    >>
    >>Windows Explorer folder pane is blank or grayed out
    >>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/greyfolderpane.htm
    >>
    >>"All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315
    >>
    >>--
    >>Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >>Wes
    >>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >>In news:D1EA899D-9BE1-402F-ABA7-3D0E7B84D074@microsoft.com,
    >>damfly <damfly@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>
    >>>Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start
    >>>Menu, I see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the
    >>>left pane. It was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have
    >>>searched all of the menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it.
    >>>WinXP Pro SP2 pre-installed from OEM.

    Tools, folder options, show common tasks in folders.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    That was it. Figures that it was something simple. Thank you.

    damfly wrote:

    > That was it. Figures that it was something simple. Thank you.

    Lol..yeah it's nice to have a simple one from time to time. You're welcome.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:35:01 -0700, damfly
    <damfly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Upon opening windows explorer by clicking My Computer from the Start Menu, I
    >see all of the drive icons but no detailed information in the left pane. It
    >was there once but I don't know when it went away. I have searched all of the
    >menu view tabs but I am having no luck restoring it. WinXP Pro SP2
    >pre-installed from OEM.

    If 'View -- Details' does not help, try to hold down left Ctrl key, and
    hit GrayPlus (a big '+' key at the right of the keyboard) with mouse
    cursor is in the pane where the details are supposed to be.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

Windows Explorer Computers Windows XP Displays