17" LCD recommendations

Silent_Shark

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2003
I'm in the market for a 17" LCD to replace my 17" CRT (LG F700P, best monitor I've ever seen) for portability reasons. After spending 2 weeks constantly pouring over 19" monitor specs, I can't find one that meets my needs, so I'm going to look into 17". Unfortunatly, THG haven't reviewed any 17"s for a long time, so I don't have any idea what is out there and what to go for.

My requirements are as follows:
1. Gaming - I do a lot of gaming. I need something that can give me excellent gaming performance, as this takes up about 60% of my time on the PC
2. Video - I spend a lot of time watching videos and DVDs, not as much as gaming, but still a fair amount prob about 25%.
3. Web browsing/Work - As a computer science student, I do a lot of programming. Mostly I work on university machines, but sometimes I bring work home, so I need to be comfortable in doing that. Web browsing takes up a lot of my time too.

(If it seems like I spend a lot of time on everything, it's because I multi-task a lot! I can watch vids, work and web browse simultaneously, sometimes even manage to game as well (non-fullscreen)! ).

All the monitors I've looked at seem suited to one task, but poor at the others.

The Viewsonic VP930 seems to be regarded as a genuine all-rounder, and it's a possibility still, but is the VP730 just as good? There are also VX724 and Hyundai Q70. Are these all just 17" versions of their 19" equivalents, and therefore pretty much equal on performance?

With the reduced prices of 17", I can even consider going for a dual monitor setup :D .

The last THG review of a 17" I read recommended the Hyundai L70D (which I bought for a build for someone else), but now the L73D is out. Is it even better?

Budget is irrelevant (as long as it's not ridiculous), DVI is essential. Advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks.