I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not working off the
intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of specific questions which
I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never came back with anykind of an
reply. Is this a joke or what.

In news:74A1CDD1-D026-4556-93B4-A26F28495E57@microsoft.com,
Jimmy J. <JimmyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not
> working
> off the intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of
> specific
> questions which I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never
> came
> back with anykind of an reply. Is this a joke or what.

Lest you think that people who answer questions here are
Microsoft employees who owe you an answer, let me explain that we
are all volunteers here (even the occasional Microsoft employee
who posts is posting unofficially on his own time) helping when
we can. Even those of us with the honorary title "Microsoft Most
Valuable Professional" are not Microsoft employees.

Nobody owes anybody else here anything at all. I can't tell you
anything about dev, who he is, why he didn't reply, or what your
problem is (I don't remember your original message, if I saw it
at all), but it's entirely possible that he missed your reply, is
not well, is away on vacation, or has any of several other
possible problems that made it impossible for him to answer.

I recommend that if dev is unable to help you, you repost your
question.

Please reply to the newsgroup

QT

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004

Dev is on vacation. Why don't you repost the problem with the specifics dev
wanted and perhaps someone will help you.
Also try posting here as well;
microsoft.public.windowsxp.video

"Jimmy J." <JimmyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not working off
>the
> intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of specific questions
> which
> I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never came back with anykind of
> an
> reply. Is this a joke or what.

Thanks for the input but it looks like I hit a nerve. It would be nice if
these long winded answers actually contained some relative and useful info.
Think Shakespeare said "brevity is the soul of whit"

> Thanks for the input but it looks like I hit a nerve. It would be nice if
> these long winded answers actually contained some relative and useful
> info.
> Think Shakespeare said "brevity is the soul of whit"
>
> "Jimmy J." wrote:
>
>> I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not working off
>> the
>> intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of specific questions
>> which
>> I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never came back with anykind of
>> an
>> reply. Is this a joke or what.

Since you started a new thread no one knows what your original question was.
Repost the question if you want answers. Will also said "Better a witty fool
than a foolish wit."

Kerry

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Jimmy J. wrote:

> Thanks for the input but it looks like I hit a nerve. It would be nice if
> these long winded answers actually contained some relative and useful info.
> Think Shakespeare said "brevity is the soul of whit"

What relavant and useful info were you looking for? Seems to me they
answered your question, specifically, why didn't you get an answer from
"dev". Everyone here is a volunteer. People have lives. Something has
kept him (her) away. No one owes you anything. This group, overall,
does a great job, IMHO.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Jimmy J." <JimmyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not working off
>the
> intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of specific questions
> which
> I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never came back with anykind of
> an
> reply. Is this a joke or what.

This is a voluntary group. If you want guaranteed responses and help then go
and pay for the help. Other than that remember that no one has any oblgation
to help you, and having an attitude is less likely to get you help than
being polite.

You could ask again politely on the same thread and hope someone will help.
But showing an attitude may mean that people are less inclined to offer
assistance. Remember those that help are doing it for free.

Anything could have happened to 'dev'- maybe he is on holiday but didn't
think of cancelling it to stay at home and help you?
His computer broken and he can't get on line? He should go out and get a
spare one because you want help.
Maybe he is working away from home- how dare he make a living when you are
sitting there wanting help?
Maybe he has had family issues- personal circumstances are more important
than posting on a newsgroup to most people- probably to you too- how dare he
put his family before you?
There are lots of possibilities why he may not have posted, and none will be
meant to be an insult to you- why have this attitude about something that
may be of far more importance to him than your problems.

It's sad. The world does not revolve around you and your needs. Thing are
more important to other people than your problems. And you would be more
likely to cultivate an atmosphere where you get help for free if you behave
in a reasonable manner. If you wish to have an attitude pay for your hekp-
your technician is more likely to suffer your attitude- but even he may not.

Alan Smith wrote:
> "Jimmy J." <JimmyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not working off
>>the
>>intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of specific questions
>>which
>>I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never came back with anykind of
>>an
>>reply. Is this a joke or what.
>

> This is a voluntary group. If you want guaranteed responses and help then go
> and pay for the help. Other than that remember that no one has any oblgation
> to help you, and having an attitude is less likely to get you help than
> being polite.
>
> You could ask again politely on the same thread and hope someone will help.
> But showing an attitude may mean that people are less inclined to offer
> assistance. Remember those that help are doing it for free.
>
> Anything could have happened to 'dev'- maybe he is on holiday but didn't
> think of cancelling it to stay at home and help you?
> His computer broken and he can't get on line? He should go out and get a
> spare one because you want help.
> Maybe he is working away from home- how dare he make a living when you are
> sitting there wanting help?
> Maybe he has had family issues- personal circumstances are more important
> than posting on a newsgroup to most people- probably to you too- how dare he
> put his family before you?
> There are lots of possibilities why he may not have posted, and none will be
> meant to be an insult to you- why have this attitude about something that
> may be of far more importance to him than your problems.
>
> It's sad. The world does not revolve around you and your needs. Thing are
> more important to other people than your problems. And you would be more
> likely to cultivate an atmosphere where you get help for free if you behave
> in a reasonable manner. If you wish to have an attitude pay for your hekp-
> your technician is more likely to suffer your attitude- but even he may not.

You guys are retards, he asked a simple question. He didn't demand
anything. Yet you treat him like a troll. I think he was going with a
more "Is this guy really trying to help me, or is he someone I should
disregard."

Over on the Novell forums i would never see a bunch of so called
Valuable People who are volunteers act in such a manner.

Just my 2 cents
Harvey Titanium, MCNE

QT

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004

Exactly. A bunch of self important, pat me on the back jerks.They think what
they do is akin to martyrdom for crying out loud.

Harvey Titanium wrote:

> Alan Smith wrote:
>
>> "Jimmy J." <JimmyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not working
>>> off the
>>> intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of specific
>>> questions which
>>> I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never came back with anykind
>>> of an
>>> reply. Is this a joke or what.
>>

>> This is a voluntary group. If you want guaranteed responses and help
>> then go and pay for the help. Other than that remember that no one has
>> any oblgation to help you, and having an attitude is less likely to
>> get you help than being polite.
>>
>> You could ask again politely on the same thread and hope someone will
>> help. But showing an attitude may mean that people are less inclined
>> to offer assistance. Remember those that help are doing it for free.
>>
>> Anything could have happened to 'dev'- maybe he is on holiday but
>> didn't think of cancelling it to stay at home and help you?
>> His computer broken and he can't get on line? He should go out and get
>> a spare one because you want help.
>> Maybe he is working away from home- how dare he make a living when you
>> are sitting there wanting help?
>> Maybe he has had family issues- personal circumstances are more
>> important than posting on a newsgroup to most people- probably to you
>> too- how dare he put his family before you?
>> There are lots of possibilities why he may not have posted, and none
>> will be meant to be an insult to you- why have this attitude about
>> something that may be of far more importance to him than your problems.
>>
>> It's sad. The world does not revolve around you and your needs. Thing
>> are more important to other people than your problems. And you would
>> be more likely to cultivate an atmosphere where you get help for free
>> if you behave in a reasonable manner. If you wish to have an attitude
>> pay for your hekp- your technician is more likely to suffer your
>> attitude- but even he may not.
>>

> You guys are retards, he asked a simple question. He didn't demand
> anything. Yet you treat him like a troll. I think he was going with a
> more "Is this guy really trying to help me, or is he someone I should
> disregard."
>
> Over on the Novell forums i would never see a bunch of so called
> Valuable People who are volunteers act in such a manner.
>
> Just my 2 cents
> Harvey Titanium, MCNE

In all fairness, the Novell support forums are run very differently. Yes
the SysOps are volunteers but most are Novell employees and the groups
are monitored by Novell.

Steve

So post your question again or give a link to it. I haven't the time to
search for it. Maybe this time you will get your answers!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

From: "Jimmy J." <JimmyJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Streaming media from internet
Date: Saturday, June 18, 2005 8:38 AM

P.S. just tried yahoo movie clips and got a message from Yahoo"No Matching
Stream" does this info help?

> So post your question again or give a link to it. I haven't the time to
> search for it. Maybe this time you will get your answers!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Jimmy J." <JimmyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the input but it looks like I hit a nerve. It would be nice if
>> these long winded answers actually contained some relative and useful
>> info.
>> Think Shakespeare said "brevity is the soul of whit"
>>
>> "Jimmy J." wrote:
>>
>>> I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not working off
>>> the
>>> intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of specific questions
>>> which
>>> I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never came back with anykind of
>>> an
>>> reply. Is this a joke or what.

Sorry comprehension is beyond your abilities.

He said-
Then dev never came back with anykind of an
reply. Is this a joke or what.

It is yourselves and the OP with the problem.

"QT" <Vc@cong.net> wrote in message
> Exactly. A bunch of self important, pat me on the back jerks.They think
> what they do is akin to martyrdom for crying out loud.
>
> "Harvey Titanium" <no.spam@green.eggs.and.ham> wrote in message
>> Alan Smith wrote:
>>> "Jimmy J." <JimmyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> This is a voluntary group. If you want guaranteed responses and help
>>> then go and pay for the help. Other than that remember that no one has
>>> any oblgation to help you, and having an attitude is less likely to get
>>> you help than being polite.
>>>
>>> You could ask again politely on the same thread and hope someone will
>>> help. But showing an attitude may mean that people are less inclined to
>>> offer assistance. Remember those that help are doing it for free.
>>>
>>> Anything could have happened to 'dev'- maybe he is on holiday but didn't
>>> think of cancelling it to stay at home and help you?
>>> His computer broken and he can't get on line? He should go out and get a
>>> spare one because you want help.
>>> Maybe he is working away from home- how dare he make a living when you
>>> are sitting there wanting help?
>>> Maybe he has had family issues- personal circumstances are more
>>> important than posting on a newsgroup to most people- probably to you
>>> too- how dare he put his family before you?
>>> There are lots of possibilities why he may not have posted, and none
>>> will be meant to be an insult to you- why have this attitude about
>>> something that may be of far more importance to him than your problems.
>>>
>>> It's sad. The world does not revolve around you and your needs. Thing
>>> are more important to other people than your problems. And you would be
>>> more likely to cultivate an atmosphere where you get help for free if
>>> you behave in a reasonable manner. If you wish to have an attitude pay
>>> for your hekp- your technician is more likely to suffer your attitude-
>>> but even he may not.
>>
>> You guys are retards, he asked a simple question. He didn't demand
>> anything. Yet you treat him like a troll. I think he was going with a
>> more "Is this guy really trying to help me, or is he someone I should
>> disregard."
>>
>> Over on the Novell forums i would never see a bunch of so called Valuable
>> People who are volunteers act in such a manner.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents
>> Harvey Titanium, MCNE

You all are absolutely correct; "nobody here owes me anything" maybe I could
write my question on a $5.00 bill and send it overseas.

"Rock" wrote:

> Jimmy J. wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the input but it looks like I hit a nerve. It would be nice if
> > these long winded answers actually contained some relative and useful info.
> > Think Shakespeare said "brevity is the soul of whit"
> >

> What relavant and useful info were you looking for? Seems to me they
> answered your question, specifically, why didn't you get an answer from
> "dev". Everyone here is a volunteer. People have lives. Something has
> kept him (her) away. No one owes you anything. This group, overall,
> does a great job, IMHO.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

It's not like responders assign themselves to an issue. Sometimes
when advice is offered, that person will continue to update the
thread and move the issue along. Most everybody has some type
of expertise in a particular area of XP or computing in general. I
think most of the "Regulars" observe when a person is being helped
and let the thread run it's course.

> You all are absolutely correct; "nobody here owes me anything" maybe I
> could
> write my question on a $5.00 bill and send it overseas.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> Jimmy J. wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for the input but it looks like I hit a nerve. It would be nice
>> > if
>> > these long winded answers actually contained some relative and useful
>> > info.
>> > Think Shakespeare said "brevity is the soul of whit"
>> >

>> What relavant and useful info were you looking for? Seems to me they
>> answered your question, specifically, why didn't you get an answer from
>> "dev". Everyone here is a volunteer. People have lives. Something has
>> kept him (her) away. No one owes you anything. This group, overall,
>> does a great job, IMHO.
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

QT

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004

Sorry acting like a normal human being instead of an a$$hole is beyond
your capabilitries

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
> Sorry comprehension is beyond your abilities.
>
> He said-
> Then dev never came back with anykind of an
> reply. Is this a joke or what.
>
> It is yourselves and the OP with the problem.
>

> "QT" <Vc@cong.net> wrote in message
>> Exactly. A bunch of self important, pat me on the back jerks.They think
>> what they do is akin to martyrdom for crying out loud.
>>
>> "Harvey Titanium" <no.spam@green.eggs.and.ham> wrote in message

>>> You guys are retards, he asked a simple question. He didn't demand
>>> anything. Yet you treat him like a troll. I think he was going with a
>>> more "Is this guy really trying to help me, or is he someone I should
>>> disregard."
>>>
>>> Over on the Novell forums i would never see a bunch of so called
>>> Valuable People who are volunteers act in such a manner.
>>>
>>> Just my 2 cents
>>> Harvey Titanium, MCNE

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jimmy J. wrote:

> I posted a question on 6/18 regarding my streaming media not working off the
> intrenet, this person "dev" answered with a list of specific questions which
> I subsiquently tried to answer. Then dev never came back with anykind of an
> reply. Is this a joke or what.

Dev is Bill Gates.