carrot

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

I have been recently having problems with my computer, revolving around the
above program. Whenever I click on control panel from Start it hangs around
for about 30-60 secs before saying 'Dr Watson Postmortum Debugger has
encountered a serious error and needs to close'. Afterwards, the whole
computer is totally frozen, and I have to perform a force shutdown. I
currently use a Windows Xp 512mb ram Pentium 4. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Carrot

Dr. Watson generates a dump file. It should contain the information in it.
The reason it appears to hang is that you probably have a large dump
scheduled. Go into control panel\system\startup and recovery-settings button
and either don't have a memory dump or have a small memory dump or even turn
off all features accept "administrative alert". You can also go into the
"system" and "Application" logs in your event viewer found in the control
panel\administrative tools. Look for any red X's that correspond to the time
of your apparent lockup and see what they say. Double click them and a
detailed explanation will appear. Most of it will seem unreadable to you but
if you take a screen shot of the window or copy the error message than we
will have more information to point you in the direction of a solution. TTFN.
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those
that can't.

Using Dr. Watson
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_dr_watson.mspx

Dr. Watson overview